(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

rear bumper reinforcement

Detailing, rust repair, body work, paint, body kits, interior upgrades and rebuilding.

Moderator: Moderators

rear bumper reinforcement

Postby slagman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:13 pm

So these are pretty scarce and usually rusted badly. I'm wondering if anyone has attempted to make a custom one or knows of any (even on other vehicles) so I can get some ideas. Google to no avail. Maybe out of some piping like a bumper bully from an suv. I bought one for a Del Sol and attached the upper part of my old one to it but its not lining up so great.
slagman

Re: rear bumper reinforcement

Postby tommy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:09 am

I've never seen anything on this either. If it makes you feel better, though, any other car is going to plow through your rear end at least until the rear storage tray area no matter what you do back there.
1990 ZcSi
tommy

Postby slagman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:13 pm

tommy wrote:I've never seen anything on this either. If it makes you feel better, though, any other car is going to plow through your rear end at least until the rear storage tray area no matter what you do back there.

Yeah not a very safe car, now I know why my mother said 'please don't buy one of those' when they first came out. :yell:
slagman

Postby thaeli » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:48 pm

The HF bumper reinforcement, which will fit on any model, is barely there. You can make something stronger with a little basic welding - a cheap HF welder is plenty. The HF style reinforcement only (barely) meets the 2.5mph bumper standard, while the beefer USDM DX/SI reinforcement is a 5mph bumper. (IIRC, Japan only got the HF style reinforcement on all trims.)

Here's a Youtube video of someone making their own: https://youtu.be/k4AqXeunzl0
thaeli

Postby slagman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:22 pm

thaeli wrote:The HF bumper reinforcement, which will fit on any model, is barely there. You can make something stronger with a little basic welding - a cheap HF welder is plenty. The HF style reinforcement only (barely) meets the 2.5mph bumper standard, while the beefer USDM DX/SI reinforcement is a 5mph bumper. (IIRC, Japan only got the HF style reinforcement on all trims.)

Here's a Youtube video of someone making their own: https://youtu.be/k4AqXeunzl0

that's a great video thanks. Man that car is toast
slagman

Postby msc » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:57 am

Only the 88-89 HF had a lighter rear bumper support. 90-91 HF use the same rear bumper support as the DX and Si

Mike
msc

Postby jzxcrx » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:12 pm

msc wrote:Only the 88-89 HF had a lighter rear bumper support. 90-91 HF use the same rear bumper support as the DX and Si

Mike

Is this true for JDM CRXs too?
Seems like my 91HF has the light bumper reinforcement inner bumper.
jzxcrx

Postby cboutilier » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:36 am

jzxcrx wrote:
msc wrote:Only the 88-89 HF had a lighter rear bumper support. 90-91 HF use the same rear bumper support as the DX and Si

Mike

Is this true for JDM CRXs too?
Seems like my 91HF has the light bumper reinforcement inner bumper.

All the JDM models had the lighter bumpers. That's part of the reason for the 15/25 year import laws on JDM cars.
Corksil wrote:Build it right, build it once.

1991 TGP CRX Si: b18a1, spec-d, tein, konig
1985 Prelude: stock A18 dual carb
1993 MR Civic CX: b16a2, skunk2, autometer, magnaflow, etc. (traded for rex)
cboutilier

Return to Restoration, Cosmetics, and Detailing