(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Rear-ended -- Is car fixable?

Detailing, rust repair, body work, paint, body kits, interior upgrades and rebuilding.

Moderator: Moderators

Rear-ended -- Is car fixable?

Postby augustinian » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:33 pm

My 1990 CRX SI was rear-ended in November. I finally have an offer from my insurer, either to keep the car or let them take it away. I'm the original owner, so I hate to let it go, but the auto body shop says the rear right frame rail is damaged and has to be replaced. Insurance offer is about $3000 to keep, and estimate to fix is about $4500 assuming the frame rail parts can be found. Car is in good shape except for rear end damage.

Any thoughts on whether this is fixable? Or where to order OEM frame parts?
augustinian

Re: Rear-ended -- Is car fixable?

Postby ModifiedEF » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:11 pm

scrap it- brake it into parts.
I don't want to know whats gonna happened if someone hit you again.
CRX or your LIFE.

Get new one im telling you its only CAR.
ModifiedEF

Postby thaeli » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:28 pm

Original owner - ouch. That's rough losing a faithful old companion like that.

The frame rail parts are not available. The only cost effective fix is to get a clean shell and drop the good parts from your old vehicle into it.

If you happened to own a hot rod shop or something, sure, there's nothing that can't be fixed with enough fresh metal, welding, and a frame rack. But you can buy a clean SI for $3k and keep your original as a parts car.
thaeli

Postby Baker » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:17 pm

It's a parts car.
Even if it is repaired, it will NEVER be the same as OEM from the factory.
Unibody cars this vintage don't take hits so well, esepcially small ones like the Crx.

Keep it and either part it out or use it as a parts car if you want to look for another one.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby omyhonda » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:01 pm

I've had my crx for 13 years been in a few accidents and she is still running smooth. All I'm going to say is that anything is fixable, as long as you want it bad enough.

I will never quit on mine.

Good luck!
If a doctor was to tell me that I had 2 weeks to live, I would definitely hit 120 + MPH on a highway and take my CR-X with me... Rocking my CR-X in heaven (or hell LOL)
omyhonda

Postby Baker » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:21 am

omyhonda wrote:I've had my crx for 13 years been in a few accidents and she is still running smooth!

Severity and location matter....
These cars being smacked in the rear, especially at $4500 damage estimate, it has to be pretty severe.
Part it, keep the parts that you want and find anther shell.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby omyhonda » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:57 pm

Baker wrote:
omyhonda wrote:I've had my crx for 13 years been in a few accidents and she is still running smooth!
Severity and location matter....
These cars being smacked in the rear, especially at $4500 damage estimate, it has to be pretty severe.
Part it, keep the parts that you want and find anther shell.

It does. In my case the insurance wanted to total it. I got hit on the rear panel, barely broke my taillight, and the estimates were from 2900 to 3300. They said it wasn't worth it because of the car's market value. Luckily I knew a guy that is very good at what he does and he said he could do it for way less. All the sudden it was doable. Point is, I think sometimes people quit to easily. And I get why, but I also know they are disappearing...

Honestly I would like to see a pic of the wreck to be able to say for sure if it's not worth fixing it. I refuse to say throw it way without knowing for sure that that is the only option.

At the end of the night it up to the owner and I wish him all the luck in the world. Hope this crx makes it.
If a doctor was to tell me that I had 2 weeks to live, I would definitely hit 120 + MPH on a highway and take my CR-X with me... Rocking my CR-X in heaven (or hell LOL)
omyhonda

Postby omyhonda » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:00 pm

Sorry for my "never quit" mentality. I love crx's (like most of you here). Just hate to see anotherone go.
omyhonda

Postby Baker » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:03 am

omyhonda wrote:Sorry for my "never quit" mentality.

I get it, but you have to be realistic and practical with them too...
These cars will collapse and compress like aluminum cans when hit.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby raffaelli » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:03 am

augustinian wrote:My 1990 CRX SI was rear-ended in November. I finally have an offer from my insurer, either to keep the car or let them take it away. I'm the original owner, so I hate to let it go, but the auto body shop says the rear right frame rail is damaged and has to be replaced. Insurance offer is about $3000 to keep, and estimate to fix is about $4500 assuming the frame rail parts can be found. Car is in good shape except for rear end damage.

Any thoughts on whether this is fixable? Or where to order OEM frame parts?

Can you post some photos of the damage?
raffaelli

Postby omyhonda » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:19 pm

Baker wrote:
omyhonda wrote:Sorry for my "never quit" mentality.

I get it, but you have to be realistic and practical with them too...
These cars will collapse and compress like aluminum cans when hit.

So true, sad face.
omyhonda

Postby tommy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:04 pm

That is by design, and quite life saving. I'm glad they do. The bigger problem, literally, is that cars/trucks have gotten so big and heavy that the crumple zones can't deal with them.
1990 ZcSi
tommy

Postby webbrowan » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:32 am

Well, I think you should embed something unique to give it your personal touch. Murfinator seems unique and creative even though I do not really know what it goes to mean. Anyway, good luck searching for ideas! Post up the ready plate once you have had it made.
webbrowan

Postby webbrowan » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:39 am

Yup, it is better to simply have it scrapped and take the other remaining workable parts with you. I know the pinch you must be feeling being the first owner and all, but it is not worth it in my opinion. Having to fork out $4500 just go to mean that the damages done were extreme and major works need to be done before it feels "safe" to be driven again.
webbrowan

Return to Restoration, Cosmetics, and Detailing