(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

My Accord Climate Control Swap

Detailing, rust repair, body work, paint, body kits, interior upgrades and rebuilding.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: My Accord Climate Control Swap

Postby Wolf Si » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:10 pm

One note for the next person ordering parts for this plug & play conversion.

Part number: 170340-3 only 5 are needed/used for the fan plug (you might want to order 6 to cover for a mistake). Current price 0.15 cents ea. from Mouser.

Part number: 172777-1 only 8 used for the switch plug. Here again order more to cover for mistakes, but not 15.

My total (2016) cost was about $17.72, coming from Mouser and Digi-Key.
Wolf Si

Postby Wolf Si » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:47 pm

Ok, soldering and shrink wrapping complete.

For those of you who only get a small amount to work with..... Here is the shorty version.

And green plug closeup.

Wolf Si

Postby Intertwined » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:58 pm

Thank you for the links, part numbers and pictures laying out how to make a plug n play harness for this. So much better than hardwiring it in.

Once i get my hands on one of these climate controls ill be all over this mod.
Intertwined

Postby Wolf Si » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:16 pm

Ok, need to know if I ran into an issue or just have a blown AC indicator bulb.

Just checked out the lights and most are working great OTHER then the AC indicator does not light when the button is pressed (on). ??? I just wanted to throw that out there if someone else experienced this and it was a simple "oh, your temp dial was on hot, and AC light does not come on" OR "oh, just take those two screws out and there is a bulb behind there that is for the indicator". If not then is it a wire issue?

I'm still working on the mixer dial switch over, so I have not tested to see if I have AC and just no light.

On the mixer dial, I am working on a way to use the stand-offs to mount it. If it works I will post pictures. The issue at this point is extending the shaft, to gain 1/2" or so. Trying to come up with a way to use the Accord shaft.

Thanks SO Much for this wright up. :-)b (Sorry for jacking it with my added comments/pictures)(My way of keeping it alive and hopefully adding something).
Wolf Si

Postby webrun » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:30 pm

Wolf Si wrote:Ok, need to know if I ran into an issue or just have a blown AC indicator bulb.

Just checked out the lights and most are working great OTHER then the AC indicator does not light when the button is pressed (on). ??? I just wanted to throw that out there if someone else experienced this and it was a simple "oh, your temp dial was on hot, and AC light does not come on" OR "oh, just take those two screws out and there is a bulb behind there that is for the indicator". If not then is it a wire issue?

I'm still working on the mixer dial switch over, so I have not tested to see if I have AC and just no light.

On the mixer dial, I am working on a way to use the stand-offs to mount it. If it works I will post pictures. The issue at this point is extending the shaft, to gain 1/2" or so. Trying to come up with a way to use the Accord shaft.

Thanks SO Much for this wright up. :-)b (Sorry for jacking it with my added comments/pictures)(My way of keeping it alive and hopefully adding something).

Looking at the wiring diagram, the A/C light circuit goes through the fan switch, so the fan switch has to be in a non-off position for the A/C light to be on, so that might be it.

Hopefully you can come up with a good way to use the Accord mixer. Mine didn't turn out as well as I was hoping for... it works, but not perfect.
webrun

Postby Wolf Si » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:57 pm

The light was working yesterday and the AC works also. Not sure what changed, other then maybe the plug got fully seated or fan switch was not ON before.

Ok, I say was working, since I am working on the mounting right now....... AND have not gotten to the point to tested it again to see if anything got screwed up (or screwed into).

I tried to mount the mixer using the standoffs (plastic pieces sticking off the back, that I glued in place). That 1/4"-3/8" of space did not allow it to go back far enough. SO..... I cut them down to about 1/16" and mounted the mixer to that. So far so good. The knob..... That did not turn out as well, trying to grind off that flat spot and taking a little to much and then..... trying to spread the two pieces to tighten the fit and then trying to spread them again... "Snap" the one side broke off. So I taped them together and then added a dab of RTV sealant. - So, cut the standoffs flush or 1/16" high and when grinding the shaft for the knob..... take a little at a time and test it each time.

So, what is not working great on yours?
Wolf Si

Postby webrun » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:16 pm

Wolf Si wrote:The light was working yesterday and the AC works also. Not sure what changed, other then maybe the plug got fully seated or fan switch was not ON before.

Ok, I say was working, since I am working on the mounting right now....... AND have not gotten to the point to tested it again to see if anything got screwed up (or screwed into).

I tried to mount the mixer using the standoffs (plastic pieces sticking off the back, that I glued in place). That 1/4"-3/8" of space did not allow it to go back far enough. SO..... I cut them down to about 1/16" and mounted the mixer to that. So far so good. The knob..... That did not turn out as well, trying to grind off that flat spot and taking a little to much and then..... trying to spread the two pieces to tighten the fit and then trying to spread them again... "Snap" the one side broke off. So I taped them together and then added a dab of RTV sealant. - So, cut the standoffs flush or 1/16" high and when grinding the shaft for the knob..... take a little at a time and test it each time.

So, what is not working great on yours?

That's what happened to me also... Ground off too much and it broke off. I put some epoxy into the knob and placed it on the shaft. This works good enough, but it's still not quite perfect enough for a perfectionist.
webrun

Postby Wolf Si » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:49 pm

Ok, everything is working.... as far as AC blowing cold, lights light up, switches function and blower blowing.

Did not rout the cables as shown in other thread and they were binding. Tare everything back out and rerouted the cables. Then hook them back to mixer and scratch the switches up, trying to put it back in place (next person, put tape over the switches to protect them from getting scratched). Piece falls out of shaft and :yell: knob does not adjust...... So I adjusted to cold by needle nose pliers. Still feel some binding (not smooth). Not perfect by any means.

At some point I will search out another mixer, just for the shaft. I am also a perfectionist, but I will have to live with the scratches on the fresh air and recirculation switches, since I don't have the time or money to replace the climate control, just for those scratches. I will just figure out a way to get rid of them or make them less obvious (when I have the time to worry about it). The shaft is another story, once it turns cold or the other half breaks off also, then it time to replace.

If and when I get another shaft to fix this one, I will more then likely reverse engineer the knob to were I cut the Accord part off and epoxy the CRX part on. That way it has the correct splines to match up with the splines on the shaft.

Yes, visibly.... It looks 100% better then the broken CRX climate control, even though mine worked great even broken.

Now, what to do with the CRX controller that has no mixer. Rebuild and reinforce everything (with what I have on hand) with the hopes down the road.....???? "For now, just bag it up and store it away for when I have more time on my hands".
Wolf Si

Postby kcjohnnyboy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:45 pm

thanks for following up on the wire colors. I have yet to get some time to put mine in the crx yet but hopefully soon. my car has just been sitting so there isn't a rush for me.
kcjohnnyboy

Postby ecuasuave90 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:53 pm

I was trying to order from mouser part # 571-172777-1 but its telling me that the minimum order is 5000. what am i doing wrong?
ecuasuave90

Postby Wolf Si » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:51 am

Try the same part number at DigiKey and use part # 172777-1. Next thing, only order 10 as you will only use 8.
Wolf Si

Postby ecuasuave90 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:52 am

THANKS
ecuasuave90

Previous

Return to Restoration, Cosmetics, and Detailing