Honda CRX Forum banner

Should I be stockpiling parts?

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  NovaVTEC 
#1 ·
Given the age of this car and my desire to keep it stock and running for a long time… I'm considering stockpiling parts to keep her going, so what should that be? (especially anything unique to the 88HF?) I would like to find an extra motor and trans, ECU and what else should I be looking for? Any help would be appreciated.

#5 ·
There's a thread titled something like my half million mile crx, the owner just got his hf engine back from being rebuilt by someone who was able to source some hoarded hf engine internals. May want to check that out, he drives it all the time so the problems he's encountering are probably what you should expect.

Also if you car is rarely driven you can expect other things to go bad, I'm sure you know batteries don't last long out of service without a trickle charger.

#6 ·
Mahargllib said:
Is there a list of anything that is "unique" to the 88HF?
The motor and transmission and front and rear bumper supports are the only things I can think of off the top of my head that are really unique and specific to the HF model.

Mechanically and body wise, they share many of the same parts as their Si/Dx counterpart.

#10 ·
Buy as much as your paranoia, budget, and storage space will allow. But just make sure to ask yourself if you really do want to keep an 88 HF around practically forever. Trust me, as you get older, your sense of humor about getting in and out of a crx, rolling down the windows, no power door locks, etc. shifts from being quaint to being a pain in the ass.

Your biggest problem long-term will most likely be rust, and the best solution for that is keeping a pile of cash available, because even at this point, you're looking at custom repairs mostly, and it will get worse from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.