(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Source for rocker panels?

Detailing, rust repair, body work, paint, body kits, interior upgrades and rebuilding.

Moderator: Moderators

Source for rocker panels?

Postby kevbo82 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:34 am

Recently purchased an 89 Si thats a full time autocross car. Body is a little beat, and small surface rust showing through here and there so decided over the winter to strip it down, deal with any rust, bodywork it and give it a DIY paint job. Last night I was poking around the car, and stuck my finger behind the plastic cover over the rocker on the passenger side and my finger went through :cry: took to the net, and can't find a good source to buy a rocker. I saw fix my rust has one (cheap too) they say it's only for the civic hatch and needs to be cut down for the CRX. So has anyone used the fix my rust civic version? Or does anyone know a good source to get any other rocker replacements?
Thanks
kevbo82

Re: Source for rocker panels?

Postby Baker » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:17 am

Fixmyrust are the only ones available any more, dealer is long sold out from what I know of.

There are two good links within this thread of how to fix them though...
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30265
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby kevbo82 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:03 pm

Thanks Baker. Any idea whats different with the fix my rust/civic hatch version? I'm assuming it's different where it meets the rear quarter. I just took the plastic cover of....things ain't pretty. Probably buy the fix my rust one and fabricate anything it doesn't cover.

Thanks also for the links, I had seen some of that before searching around, the one I immediately ignored when I saw the guy using galvanized steel to weld patches in. (welding galvanized creates really nasty fumes that can make you very sick and even kill ya)
kevbo82

Postby kevbo82 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:14 pm

just ordered from fix my rust, free shipping too! I was going to do all the body work over the winter once autocross season was done, but this is too nasty, and the only real rust going on the car, so want to stop it ASAP. I'll take some photos and post them up so others can see the fit of the fix my rust piece.
kevbo82

Postby zrickety » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:49 pm

I have a whole passenger rocker cut from a rust free car, pm me.
91 CRX Si B16(XSi) viewtopic.php?f=26&t=32702
Current 09 VW GTI 2.0TSI viewtopic.php?f=33&t=60122
BigDare23 wrote:A CRX is a like a gift and a curse.
zrickety

Postby kcjohnnyboy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:07 pm

i also ordered rocker panels and quarter patch panels from here just last week.
kcjohnnyboy

Postby Baker » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:52 am

kcjohnnyboy wrote:i also ordered rocker panels and quarter patch panels from here just last week.

I assume they are the Civic versions?
When you get them, let us know how different they are compared to the actual Crx, maybe mock them up to see how different fitment might be.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby JayyyCrx » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:19 pm

Question, excuse me if this is dumb: You'd have to wield in the rocker arm anyways correct? Why not get a piece of spare metal and fit that instead? Just interested in reasoning, mine has a huge rust hole as well.
JayyyCrx

Postby Baker » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:02 pm

JayyyCrx wrote:Question, excuse me if this is dumb: You'd have to wield in the rocker arm anyways correct? Why not get a piece of spare metal and fit that instead? Just interested in reasoning, mine has a huge rust hole as well.

Get down and take a look at the rocker PANEL itself, and tell me what you see.
There are contours, bends and it fits a certain way.
If it were as easy as slapping on a piece of spare steel, the rot wouldn't be an issue.

Baker
Mr. Search

Postby Linville33 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:02 am

Hypothetically you could but it would be a lot of shaping. If you weld your rocker arm your engine is gonna have a bad time lol

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk
Linville33

Postby JayyyCrx » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:17 am

Ahh, alright I see now. I didn't think it extended that far up from what I've seen in the past and from my current rust, my mistake. Thanks guys.
JayyyCrx

Postby kcjohnnyboy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:44 pm

i got mine in the mail but have yet to get the chance to see the differences in the rocker panels and quarter panels are.
kcjohnnyboy

Postby kcjohnnyboy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:23 pm

my fixmyrust.com patch quarter panels and rocker panels did not match up to stock like i would love them to. so, i will be going a different route like the wolf steel patch panels, which are about 250 a pop.

here is a picture for reference. you can see how the height of the feature line on the edge of arch on the patch panel is thicker than the original oem panel. it's about 1/4 inch thicker. i'm pretty anal about that stuff so these will be returned and refunded.
Last edited by kcjohnnyboy on Tue May 17, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcjohnnyboy

Postby kcjohnnyboy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:24 pm

anyone know where you can buy crx rocker panels like the black one pictured above?

the closest I found was for the civic 88-91 which will have to be modified to work. I have also purchased the fixmyrust.com rockers and they were nothing close to something I wanted to use. I came across Mill Supply Inc. and they had some civic rockers for sale, so these should be coming in the mail soon.
kcjohnnyboy

Postby kevbo82 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:38 am

Are you looking for the rocker or the 1/4 patch? Your photo looks like the 1/4 patch
kevbo82

Postby kcjohnnyboy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:34 pm

i'm looking for the rocker panels where the side skirts go. the quarter panels i've already acquired from wolf steel.
kcjohnnyboy

Postby Baker » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:23 am

kcjohnnyboy wrote:i'm looking for the rocker panels where the side skirts go. the quarter panels i've already acquired from wolf steel.

Those are gonna be a chore to find.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby kcjohnnyboy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:29 pm

so, here is what i have sourced out that is going to be as close as everyone is going to get if they are doing a restoration on rusted panels. these panels were way better than the ones i ordered and returned from fixmyrust.com. these panels pictured below were sourced from Mill Supply Inc. and there customer service was great when i had a dent in one of the panels from shipping and placed a claim with UPS! either way, a new panel is in route for me, so it should all be set.

kcjohnnyboy

Postby kevbo82 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:36 am

hmmmm that looks way better, can you post a few more pics of it standing up and from some different angles? Did you call them directly to order? Is that a CRX specific part (which I don't see on their website) or the civic 2/3 door part they have online (which their photo looks nothing like that one you have)
Thanks!
kevbo82

Postby kcjohnnyboy » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:30 pm

i fixed the photo a little bit since it got cut off due to it's size. you can order it online, but you can also call them to order as well, i'm sure. it is not a crx specific part that this company offers, it was specific for the civic hatchback 2/3 door trim. it's as close as you're going to get with a premolded aftermarket panel, it will just need to be modified to fit on the crx, which i'm using only what i need from it. i will try to snap more pictures when i get the chance
kcjohnnyboy

Postby KevinEF7 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:11 am

What did they charge you for the rocker and shipping, does look pretty nice. Wish there was a CRX specific one though
KevinEF7

Postby tonekids » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:32 pm

kcjohnnyboy wrote:i will try to snap more pictures when i get the chance

Please do! I am very interested in seeing more of it before I order a set. I'd like to give them a good visual comparison between the ones I have from Lake Erie Trading Co./fixmyrust.com.

Thanks.
1989 CRX Si - Rio Red
Rebuilding/Replacing D16A6
Lots of rust to fix

PROJECT CRX - My Project Blog
tonekids

Postby kevbo82 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:35 pm

tonekids wrote:
kcjohnnyboy wrote:i will try to snap more pictures when i get the chance

Please do! I am very interested in seeing more of it before I order a set. I'd like to give them a good visual comparison between the ones I have from Lake Erie Trading Co./fixmyrust.com.

Thanks.

I'll second that. Mines already in and bastardized, but I would still be interested in seeing how they compare
kevbo82

Postby kcjohnnyboy » Tue May 17, 2016 4:07 pm

here is some pictures i snapped really quick. hopefully this helps everyone!

kcjohnnyboy

Postby kcjohnnyboy » Tue May 17, 2016 5:36 pm

as you can see from the photos, it's sort of similar to the rocker photo that someone posted above. i'm sure this will need modification to work. that's the downside to this since oem or oem replicas aren't made for our old ass cars. the other downside, is that these rockers do not have the protrusions or holes for the side skirt to be bolted/screwed in. so, either you have to make your own holes or be creative on mounting the skirt back on.
kcjohnnyboy

Next

Return to Restoration, Cosmetics, and Detailing