With as many times as I've pulled off the plugs, the temperature sensor just couldn't take it any more.
I decided to solder it back together. I had to cut back the plug a bit to get to enough wire.
The heat shrink tubing got stuck...doh. So I just electrical tape it back together. After taking the picture, I realized how bad it looked so I redid it but forgot to snap another picture. Sorry guys.
I put the rest of the car back together, and filled the car up with water to flush the system and check for leaks. I found I have a small leak back near the thermostat, but I wanted to know if the engine worked. I filled up the transmission with 10w30 and the engine with 5w30. I know that I don't have the correct oxygen sensor, but I learned I can run in open loop in the mean time. So late at night, with a little hesitation and jumper cables to a working car, I grab my trusty fire extinguisher and turn the car over.
With bated breath, I attempt the crank the car...and the starter doesn't turn over. So I go fiddle with the jumper cables to make sure they have a good contact.
I get back in and crank the car and the starter now engages but it doesn't fire the first attempt. It doesn't fire on the second attempt. The third time I hear a cylinder or two fire....and on the fourth crank it slowly sputters back to life.
I let it run a few seconds, smile to myself and decide to call it a night.(I don't plan on using this cold air intake, it's just more convenient for testing than the stock intake.)
With renewed enthusiasm, I had to work on addressing the oxygen sensor and the leak.
Well, I checked out the oxygen sensor that came with my D16Z6 exhaust.
Unfortunately the previous owner looks like he spliced oxygen sensor into the original D16Z6 wiring harness. Since I don't even have the connector, it means unless I also splice into my wiring harness...I need a new oxygen sensor r. Not wanting to mess up my new wiring, I order an oxygen sensor for $31.55 that's from RockAuto.
So with a little help from my friend's oxygen sensor socket, and a few of my favorite curse word's help, I pulled out the original A6's oxygen sensor you previously saw me install. Man I wish I took that out before putting the exhaust header back in the car. On the plush side, the threads looked good.
So I put it in, the wire holder is just for looks.
Thinking my leak was due to me improperly putting on the thermostat housing, I tried to take the thermostat housing back out and put it back on. Well I turned a small link into a spigot. I ended up pinching the the o-ring so it wasn't sealing at all. I decided to bite the bullet and order another o-ring, and pull off the intake manifold.
Being a bit in a rush, I even order it from a Honda dealership and paid $4 to get a small piece of rubber. I also decided to replace the alternator bolts.
Anytime I'm not happy with the top of a bolt, I replace them when I have a chance. These weren't even that bad, but I just had such a nightmare time with previous alternator bolts that I decided to go with new and antiseize them. Since the intake manifold is out, I decided now would be a good time to put in the alternator, so I did just that.
"It's not so much what we have in this life that matters. It's what we do with what we have." - Mr. Rogers