(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Haluska's 1990 Si Build

Detailing, rust repair, body work, paint, body kits, interior upgrades and rebuilding.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Haluska's 1990 Si Build

Postby vanrij » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:20 pm

The head looks much better, good luck with the rebuild!
vanrij

Postby Leon » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:08 pm

haluska wrote:Here's what the new radiator looks like. Wow it looks clean.

I pull it out and compared it to the old one. That loud slapping sound you heard back in November was me hitting my forehead. :doh: I managed to buy an HF radiator.

Old post, but this :rofl: :lol:
Leon

Postby sporgo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:48 pm

haluska wrote:I know I haven't been posting much lately, and after taking on a different job a year ago it's very unlikely I will ever return to my daily posting style. I still have my problematic CRX and I still haven't given up on fixing it up even though I'm having plenty of second thoughts about it. I'm trying hard for a reliable car here, but it sure has been fighting me every step of the way.

I am pretty surprised by all of the problems you have had with this vehicle. One of the main reasons I love the CRX is its unfailing reliability. One of my CRX had 260,000 trouble free miles on it before its accident. I think your car may be cursed or something. :?
sporgo

Postby crxvtec91 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:17 am

Some cars are different then others, not all are the same.
My build thread: http://www.crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16812

500hp and 450ft/lbs @30psi

LOOK, go to UserControlPanel->UsercontrolPanel->Profile->UPDATE YOUR DAMN LOCATIONS K?
crxvtec91

Postby wyatta » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:15 pm

location and owner are a huge factor also :-)b
wyatta

Postby sab0rlatin0 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:50 am

I want to say that you are one of the most patient persons I've ever heard of!!!
Keep it up man... that CRX Love makes all of US do crazy things!!! lol :rofl: :oops: :rolleyes1: :lol: 8) :D
Sab0rLatin0
CRX Si the 8th Wonder of the World
CRX is not just a car, is a movement
sab0rlatin0

Postby crxvtec91 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:31 am

Defeat can not beat a persistence :-)b

Jeff I just realized you were one of the last people to see my crx running. Want a ride once she back on the road? Should be in the 400+ hp range 8)

LOOK, go to UserControlPanel->UsercontrolPanel->Profile->UPDATE YOUR DAMN LOCATIONS K?
crxvtec91

Postby Mikesrex1990 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:22 am

just read your whole thread man its the small things you do to your car that keep it alive being meticulous about rust and the small water leaks all of it adds up in the end and just makes a better crx experience i have a bit more rust around my wheel well then you did but see how you did it with all the pictures shown me how to fix all that so ill be getting on that soon and as far as the leak in the back pillar area im going to take my hatch of and seal that thing up lol

ill be watching this thread man keep it up your rex is going to be clean as a whistle one day soon!!
90crx DD <<NEEDS HELP =P
build thread viewtopic.php?f=26&t=53135
Mikesrex1990

Postby 3rdgenhatchdx » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:30 am

:-)b

Great build so far! Keep it up buddy!
1988 Blade Silver Metallic
Instagram: @sip_gas_haul_groceries
3rdgenhatchdx

Postby CrxMusix13 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:36 pm

sporgo wrote:
haluska wrote:I know I haven't been posting much lately, and after taking on a different job a year ago it's very unlikely I will ever return to my daily posting style. I still have my problematic CRX and I still haven't given up on fixing it up even though I'm having plenty of second thoughts about it. I'm trying hard for a reliable car here, but it sure has been fighting me every step of the way.

I am pretty surprised by all of the problems you have had with this vehicle. One of the main reasons I love the CRX is its unfailing reliability. One of my CRX had 260,000 trouble free miles on it before its accident. I think your car may be cursed or something. :?

Lol have you seen my build thread? LITERALLY everything has gone wrong with me car, and I just found out my head gasket is blown.

A honda that has been well taken care of runs well. Unfortunately, not everyone can take care of their car.
Check out my de-rice/restoration thread: http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=34912

Talk about a load of work...
CrxMusix13

Postby sicknick » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:04 am

haluska wrote:Well I put it off long enough. After pulling the cylinder head, I went apart disassembling the sucker. Which didn't go as easily as I expected. But I with a few minor nicks to the head, I got the rockers off and the camshaft out. Then it came to the valves. I realized I needed a new tool. So I learned that with slight modification with a grinder, the Craftsman valve spring compressor ($22) works. One thing I've learned over the years, is I never regret getting the right tool.

Be sure to wear protected eye wear when doing this, engine pieces work better in the car than in your eyes.

Pulling the valve stem seals...sucked. I finally developed a technique of rocking and rotating in a circular pattern while not getting gripping too tight that worked, but my hands were still raw after getting all 16 out. I hated it so much I ordered a tool to get them out in the future.

I dropped the cylinder head off at a machine shop to have it degreased and milled. For $80, he took 6-8 thousandths off. crxvtec91 will be happy to know, I ordered a D16Z6 head gasket. The thinner head gasket and the milling should put me at about 9.69:1 compression. I'm hoping that it runs fine on 87 octane gas and a stock ECU, but I'll find out soon enough.

I just did valve guide seals on my zc dohc with the head on, and it was a ball buster also getting the seals off :yell:
sicknick

Postby haluska » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:57 am

My CRX has sat in my driveway for over a year. Immobile due to a failed engine transplant to fix the persistent coolant issue. It has been beaten down by sun, rain and snow. In that time, it has survived through not one, but two freak super storms.

There comes a time in every CRX owner's journey where we must say good bye to our cars. :cry: We either fall out of love with them, they no longer fit well into our lives, or our lack of resources force us to face the reality that we'll never fix them. If we're lucky they will be passed on to the next owner whom you hope appreciate CRXes as much as you do or eventually they return to the base metals from which they sprang to be reincarnated into another man made product.

That day comes to all our cars...

...but that's not today for mine.

Let's do this. 8)

After the failed engine swap, I decided an Si should perform at least like an Si. That means a 1.6L engine and at least 108 HP. I decided a D16Z6 would be the perfect engine for me. It's a compromise between performance, fuel efficiency, cost and availability of parts. Last year, I found a D16Z6 on Craigslist but it had non stock PM3 pistons. I contemplated rebuilding the engine, but I realized a little late that the previous owner stripped all the sensors off the engine. I decided to obtain a second D16Z6 which you see above. This one came out of a wrecked car. Looks like it was stored properly and was claimed to have 130k miles on it. It also came with a hydro transmission, DC headers, cold air intake and some racing radiator. Not bad for $300 if it runs. I'm not sure which combination of components will end up in the car. My brother and I disconnected the transmission, and put it into the back of another CRX and carefully drove home. Unfortunately we had 3 people put the engine into the car and only two people to take it out. So I disassembled more of the engine while in the back of a CRX. It was quite humorous.
Last edited by haluska on Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's not so much what we have in this life that matters. It's what we do with what we have." - Mr. Rogers
haluska

Postby crxvtec91 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:37 am

Jeff glad to see you havent given up on the crx :-)b

DO WORK!

crxvtec91

Postby haluska » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:07 pm

I bought a used engine stand for $30 and modified it to work with the D Series engine. I highly recommend engine stands.

Go apart disassembling the engine and checking it the best I could while leaving the cylinder head on and for the most part, it was looking pretty good till I take the water pump off.

What is that crap? It's a combination of anti freeze, rust and probably some sort of Stop Leak for radiators. Well I did my best to clean the stuff out, pulled the drain plug out and poured some soapy water mixture through it. I made quite a mess.

I'm trying to replace all the rubber seals that I have access to, getting this tube off was a lot harder than you'd think. I found out putting it on was tough too till I put a small amount of oil on the o-rings.

I replaced both crankshaft seals.

Front Main Seal

Don't forget to lubricate the crankshaft and the inside of this seal.

The rear main seal. This one is always difficult.

I did a lot of cleaning on the engine.

Image Image

Trying to get the sealant off the oil pan was a PITA. I bought a new oil pan seal and the manuals didn't say to use sealant, so I skipped putting sealant on except in the corners.

I bought a timing belt kit, and this water pump came with it. Looks a lot different than the one that came out, but I hope it works as well. I know I'm not suppose to need sealant on water pumps, but remember all those issues I've had with coolant in the past?

I put the timing belt on, and here's how the engine looks at the moment.

"It's not so much what we have in this life that matters. It's what we do with what we have." - Mr. Rogers
haluska

Postby BanzaiBeast » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:28 pm

There are few things anyone can do that is greater than providing inspiration to others.
Your persistence has given me a boost to get back on my CRX projects.
Your story is enjoyable to see unfolding. You have a good sense of humor...or just not smart enough to give up. It takes one to know one; proud to be in the same tribe.
Keep up the good work, the new direction makes a lot of sense.
Thanks,
Greg
BanzaiBeast

Postby Meech » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:41 pm

You better not give up! :yell:

Dont you think we are overdue for some updates? PS: I have finally found the time to go through the whole thread. ;) Have you figured out the route that you want to go with the wiring yet?
ebob wrote:Wish I aged as well the HF. I think I know why I lost 5mpg, my car's carrying and additional 150 pounds.

'88 Dx - '93 MPV V6 2wd - Feedback
Meech

Postby haluska » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:16 am

BanzaiBeast wrote:There are few things anyone can do that is greater than providing inspiration to others.
Your persistence has given me a boost to get back on my CRX projects.

I don't have time to fix up a dozen CRXes, but I do have time to inspire a dozen people to fix theirs! I just want to show that you can start out knowing nearly nothing, have very few tools and working in a unpaved driveway and still make progress on a vehicle.
haluska

Postby haluska » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:37 am

Meech wrote:You better not give up! :yell:

Aw man, I had spent all this money on engines and parts and tools and I was just about to give up until I read your encouragement. Thanks man!

Meech wrote:Have you figured out the route that you want to go with the wiring yet?

Nope, not yet. At this point I'm leaning towards whatever is quickest.

I'm working on getting the D16Z6 into the car. How do you accomplish this without an engine lift? Well you jack the car up really high!

Just in case you're wondering how to make it look like your CRX is doing a wheelie, I jacked the car up as a high as a I could, then I moved the jack up on blocks with a board across, then finally on cinder blocks. I had to raise the jack stands up pretty high as well. With the help of an assistant I then slid the engine through the passenger side wheel well. The cardboard is there to keep the oil pan from getting scratched up. You wouldn't believe how handy it is to have cardboard around when working under a car outside.

I had to slowly lower and reposition the axle so it wouldn't get hung up on the engine. This took about half an hour cause I double check the jack stands each time.

That's how she sits right now. The engine isn't quite in the car yet, but it's under it! I have to reattach the engine mount which is kind of rusted solid and then I plan on lowering the car a bit more and jacking the engine up into position.
haluska

Postby Meech » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:24 pm

Have you replaced the driver-side engine mount with an 88-91 CRX/Civic one yet? If you haven't, the one on there won't work. Make sure that the one you plan on replacing it with is not bent also... Its not a fun experience when you go in to bolt everything up to prep it for intallation and then you get to the mount to only find out that the bolt holes dont line up by a fraction of a millimeter. :frusty:

If you just want the quickest way, get a jumper harness with provisions for the Crank Angle Sensor and VTEC. You'll also need a distributor jumper harness or you'll need to solder in an OBD1 plug.
ebob wrote:Wish I aged as well the HF. I think I know why I lost 5mpg, my car's carrying and additional 150 pounds.

'88 Dx - '93 MPV V6 2wd - Feedback
Meech

Postby haluska » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:08 am

:?: So the engine is under the car with the help of another person, but how does one guy get an engine into a car without a lift?

First you get a board under the engine. While it looks simple it's actually was the hardest part and took about 45 minutes. Once you get one board under it, you can put you smaller boards under those boards.

Once you get it high enough you can slowly use a jack to raise it into place. The following probably only took 10 minutes cause I wasn't in a rush.

As meech pointed out, I had the wrong engine bracket and mount. I attempted to use the stock D16A6 one, but realized I couldn't use the D16Z6 covers without modifying them. :doh:

So I decided to buy a D16Z6 engine mount. I'm fairly confident my engine came out of a 93 EX so I ordered an engine mount from Rock Auto for about $22.

And...I find out it doesn't fit. It's too wide. :doh: :doh: Man sometimes going with what you think is the easy route isn't.

So I take out my Dremel to try to make it fit. I really underestimated how thick the metal tube was in the middle. After like 30 minutes, I cut through it, and it still doesn't fit. I curse a lot...then :idea:...I remember I have an angle grinder and make short work of the mount. I intentionally cut more off one side to try to give the front of the engine as much room as possible.

I get the engine in, I'm still a bit apprehensive since I don't know if this engine mount will cause misalignment elsewhere. Also I realized I'm missing the other motor mount bolt as the one from the D16A6 doesn't fit.

Today my wiring kit came in. I debated a lot of options but realized I've got enough problems at the moment and decided to throw $180 at a kit to make my life easier. I got the kit from monotech_909, a recommended guy on Ebay.

So I get to work replacing the ECU. To get to the ECU, I had to pull up the carpet and pulled out four clips that was holding it in.

After this I can take out the four bolts that are holding the metal cover on.

And here's the stock ECU. It unhooks fairly easily and I pull it out.

The ECU I'm going with is a P28. I believe it came out of a Del Sol.

I double checked the the code, and it indicates it's for a manual.

Now it looks like the hardest part about upgrading the wiring is feeding the VTEC cable through the firewall. It's pretty tough even in good weather, but it's 40 degrees during the day. I hope to do that soon.

I've also been working on doing a 5th gear swap on the transmission. Man this is some crazy stuff. That's ok, a sane person would have never bought this car. :crazy:

Here's the donor transmission just being as intimidating as possible.

That's where I am for now. I still have to finish running the wiring, finish the transmission, the flywheel put in, the intake and exhaust manifold installed, and the transmission installed.
haluska

Postby crxvtec91 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:16 am

Damn looking good!

crxvtec91

Postby Rex All Day » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:07 am

You, my friend, have proved that you can bring the dead back to the living.
If anyone asks me if it's possible, I'll shoot them a link to this thread.

OH BTW, are you interested in a front bumper lip for the CRX? I have a used one thats kinda scratched but looks good!
Black 1991 CRX Si - 1.6 SOHC ZC motor.
Thread: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=62162
Rex All Day

Postby Nar » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:39 am

Haven't been here in a while but man, super work. Definitely looking forward to seeing you and the car back on the road. :shock: :clap:
My CRX Si
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=43328
"And the CRX still wins on design; aerodynamic block sander beats lumpy egg every time."
Nar

Postby haluska » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:20 am

Needed to run the extra VTEC wire. I took off the rubber boot in hopes of running it through there, but the rubber really isn't very pliable.

You can see where I taped it. It would have a been a lot faster to not take all the electrical tape off.

Even uglier on the inside. Oh well nobody will see this except you guys!

How she currently looks...So much to do left!

Found a fuel filter upstairs, decided now was as good as any to change it out.

Plugging in a wire here.

Here's a shot of a D15B2's thermostat. It's moved on the D16Z6.

Here's where the extension leads to on the D16Z6. It's a little long so I looped it.

I zipped tied it down so it won't move.

I go on to put on an oil filter to find out a few threads are stripped and making the oil filter really tough to put on. I'll probably fix this in the future, I hope I can just put on an Oil filter to get me to Spring/Summer.

Now let's put the flywheel on...

I looked into resurfacing a flywheel and found out a new one off of Rock Auto was cheaper. And I found out it was Chinese made...somewhat poorly. The little stubs didn't line up with the pressure plate. I ended up taking it back off and literally beat on it with a hammer for like 10 minutes to get the pressure plate to slide on.

Clutch

Pressure Plate

It rained a little bit so I switched back to the transmission, where I'm doing a 5th gear swap.

Here's how I got the shaft's off...by hitting them with a rubber mallet, then later a block of wood and sledge. It didn't look like I damaged anything, but I didn't have a press.

Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the actual swap, I just wanted to make sure I didn't lose anything and everything got transferred correctly. I debated also swapping the 4th gear, since it looked a tiny bit less worn, but I might need it to climb these NJ hills...it also looked harder to swap than the 5th.

The differential just lifts out. Which was...easier than expected.

You can see what drives the speedometer cable here.

Found a ball bearing and spring here. Always fun when things spring up at you.

This is the forward, middle and lower position mechanism of the shift rod. I have a better idea of what is moving when you move the shifter now.

Getting this seal out wasn't fun. You'd think it would just pry out, but it required more pressure than you'd think it would.

Sometimes putting on a rubber boot is harder than it looks. At least I'm attempting to install it inside and not under the car.

This seal was was a royal PITA to get out. I ended up scratching up the housing more than I wanted to. I tried attacking it from the middle in as many ways as I could think of, but with no luck. You can see where I nicked the metal a little bit when taking out the main shaft seal...it was a bitch to get out.

Hopefully the new seal one won't leak.

I noticed a small notch in this part of the differential, probably from where I had problems putting in an axle before.

Cleaning the magnet so they'll work better.

Some last minute pictures (I haven't put it in completely yet).

Going to bend in this tab soon. While I have a handy dandy torque wrench now. I couldn't secure the shaft well enough to use it. I need some big metal vice attached to a table. I ended up using my impact gun to get it into the at least the same position it was when I took it off. I had to buy a special 30 mm socket for this bad boy.

Almost ready for final assembly. I still have one more drive shaft seals to replace, and hope I didn't screw this up too badly. All I can say is doing a 5th gear swap is a lot more work than anticipated.

I still have a lot more work to do, and not a lot of time left before I drive south for Christmas.
haluska

Postby crxvtec91 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:28 pm

Jeff, make sure to steak the counter shaft bearing as these are prone to backing out. Once they back out you can get it into any gear!

crxvtec91

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration, Cosmetics, and Detailing