(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Advice on whether or not restoration is possible

Detailing, rust repair, body work, paint, body kits, interior upgrades and rebuilding.

Moderator: Moderators

Advice on whether or not restoration is possible

Postby Jenks829 » Tue May 03, 2016 11:15 am

I have a 1988 CRX with 266k on the original engine and transmission. I love this car. It has been with me for 20 years. My Dad was the original owner until I bought it off of him. Now I am 37 and married with a kid and have another car but I've never been able to part with this as she has been such a large part of my life. However, I might be jammed up. I don't have a lot of space for storage and currently she is parked behind my previous employers shop (which they are not completely thrilled about) and I need to find something to do with it. I don't have the money to restore it now and I am not sure that it is even feasible. This car has A LOT of rust. I only have a few pics available but can get more if anyone request them. So my question is, what kind of success rate is there in bringing one of these back from the brink? And at what cost?
Jenks829

Re: Advice on whether or not restoration is possible

Postby Baker » Tue May 03, 2016 11:38 am

Jenks829 wrote:
I don't have a lot of space for storage and currently she is parked behind my previous employers shop (which they are not completely thrilled about)
I don't have the money to restore it now and I am not sure that it is even feasible.
This car has A LOT of rust.

You don't have a reliable/stable place to store it or work on it and you don't have the money.
The writing is clearly on the wall!
Let it go and sell it.
Restoring it correctly will run you into the ground, especially if it has "A LOT" of rust.
New parts are difficult to find and when you do, expensive.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Tue May 03, 2016 11:26 pm

Always good advice from Baker. I also had a vehicle for 20 years that I did not want to part with. It left my posession involuntarily, and under some real unusual circumstances. I was butt-hurt for a good while, but when I got over it, I started to think about how much it cost me to keep over those years. It really added up. I should have cut my losses ten years earlier.

Look, it takes a ton of time and resources to bring a car back to life from the condition you describe for the sentimentality of it. If simply relocating the car is a challenge, you might consider cutting the cord and starting a better candidate for restoration when it is feasible to do so. Not worth upsetting the missus, either.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Keep it real. This is the only Honda forum worth my time. You make it happen.
Gr8_EE8

Postby kevbo82 » Wed May 04, 2016 6:56 am

Anything is possible, it's all a matter of cost. The real problem I would say you have right now is storage. You don't have room for it, which is whats forcing you to sell it, and if you don't have room to keep it you don't have room to fix it. I did a light restoration of mine this winter and my garage, shed, basement, spare bedroom, etc, etc was filled with all kinda parts. Do you have any photos of the rust and also the general condition of the car inside and out? One's idea of really bad rust might not be as bad as someone else's....
kevbo82

Postby Jenks829 » Wed May 04, 2016 1:19 pm

I will get pics this weekend and post
Jenks829

Postby Baker » Wed May 04, 2016 1:51 pm

kevbo82 wrote: One's idea of really bad rust might not be as bad as someone else's....

Certainly true, but seems like with these cars, once rot has sunk it's teeth into it, it's hard to come back from and always is worse than one thinks. Once you start removing bumper covers and trim, you'd be surprised how eaten away it can be.
To restore and and completely mitigate rust, it needs to be cut out and new sheet metal needs to replace it.
Also, restoring a 20 yr old econobox that wasn't meant to last is tough to do when NOS parts from Honda seem to be drying up or have since been sold out. That being said, the current market for NOS parts is stupid ridiculous in costs.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby kevbo82 » Wed May 04, 2016 7:50 pm

Baker wrote:
kevbo82 wrote: One's idea of really bad rust might not be as bad as someone else's....

That being said, the current market for NOS parts is stupid ridiculous in costs.

you can say that again! I'm disgusted by the prices from people who claim to be enthusiasts charging these insane amounts to other people trying to fix their cars. supply and demand I guess... I've gotten pretty good and repairing or making my own parts now lol
kevbo82

Postby Jenks829 » Thu May 19, 2016 7:19 am

Jenks829

Postby Baker » Thu May 19, 2016 1:22 pm

Part out what you can, this is passed practical restoration.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby JeffWilliamsUSA » Fri May 20, 2016 5:08 am

I know this car is sentimental to you but , sorry to say,
not restorable,
Rust is like an iceberg , there's always more you don't see.
and the rust you have , that's pretty much the worst i've seen.
if it was an investment or a fun / project car , i'd say keep it for a donor and find a good rust free shell.
but , in this case .. it's a parts car
STUFF 4 SALE
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=190266
Our CRX Family :)
88 HF .. J2-ReX NeW
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=200562
89 DX .. K-ReX
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=47004
91 DX .. J-ReX
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=53872
JeffWilliamsUSA

Postby slagman » Sun May 22, 2016 9:36 pm

It is not entirely far fetched to 'restore' this car. I mean, do you want it to look brand new or just have something reliable? I restored my 1995 Dodge Ram that looked close to that, have been driving it for the past 5 years, yeah some of the rust managed to come back but its still a very functional vehicle.
slagman

Postby JeffWilliamsUSA » Mon May 23, 2016 12:40 am

slagman wrote:It is not entirely far fetched to 'restore' this car. I mean, do you want it to look brand new or just have something reliable? I restored my 1995 Dodge Ram that looked close to that, have been driving it for the past 5 years, yeah some of the rust managed to come back but its still a very functional vehicle.

I agree, but he also said he was tight on money and didn't have a place to park it.
and it kinda sounded like he didn't have the time it would take ..
we have plenty of threads here and elsewhere where people have "performed miracles"
and restored an extremely rusty crx. ( and some gave up ) .. the success' had things in common.
Mainly : Time / Good Work Space

For this particular situation , parts car.
And it's not so bad , it's like an organ donor.
Parts of Him n His Dad will Live On , and help other cars be more "fit" ;)

PS and eh .. a ram truck has a steel box frame .. a crx is unibody .. rust matters more on a crx.
STUFF 4 SALE
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=190266
Our CRX Family :)
88 HF .. J2-ReX NeW
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=200562
89 DX .. K-ReX
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=47004
91 DX .. J-ReX
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=53872
JeffWilliamsUSA

Postby Baker » Mon May 23, 2016 10:02 am

slagman wrote:I restored my 1995 Dodge Ram that looked close to that, have been driving it for the past 5 years, yeah some of the rust managed to come back but its still a very functional vehicle.

There is quite a difference between restoring a truck compared to a Crx.
Not only are they different in frame design, chassis vs unibody, but parts for a truck are still available and produced.
What's a truck restoration entail, a box, cab, cab corners, and front fenders, all of which are still available.

The car is parts car at this point.
If he doesn't have the time, money or place to restore it, it doesn't' sound like finding another rust free shell is in the cards either.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby rex2nr » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:26 am

JeffWilliamsUSA wrote:I know this car is sentimental to you but , sorry to say,
not restorable,
Rust is like an iceberg , there's always more you don't see.
and the rust you have , that's pretty much the worst i've seen.
if it was an investment or a fun / project car , i'd say keep it for a donor and find a good rust free shell.
but , in this case .. it's a parts car

I've seen worse restored, but it takes a certain level of crazy, a lot of skill, cash, time, etc.
-Scott-
projectCRX Sold
1999 Ford Ranger - Project DD 2011 Ford Escape - family/dog/parts hauler
rex2nr
Resto-Modder

Postby crocrx » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:55 am

That body is trash. Waste if time, sorry. That car needs a whole new....body...
crocrx

Return to Restoration, Cosmetics, and Detailing