(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

SEM color coat interior colors

Detailing, rust repair, body work, paint, body kits, interior upgrades and rebuilding.

Moderator: Moderators

SEM color coat interior colors

Postby kevbo82 » Tue May 10, 2016 5:28 pm

Anyone have any experience refinishing interior parts with SEM's color coat? I'm trying to see if anyone has advice on the best matches for colors, the cover on my rear view disintegrated and I'm replacing it with a 3D printed replacement and need to finish it grey. The seat belt light part thats around the mirror is that discolored green/grey they turn, so my plan was to paint that and the new cover at the same time with the closest color match to the headliner. From this color chart i'm thinking warm grey, medium grey, or storm grey. Anyone have any experience with any of them?

kevbo82

Re: SEM color coat interior colors

Postby crocrx » Sun May 15, 2016 2:02 pm

I've used the stuff, it's a great product and the color matches well with the sample you see in the chart. Wash the part with dishsoap, scuff it with a scotchbrite pad and wipe clean with rubbing alcohol. Spray on some adhesive promotor and after 5 mins spray the color using light uniform coats followed by a final heavier coat. You can also use a clear coat for added protection but I don't think it's needed as the SEM basically dyes the part and adheres to it very well. It's probably the best stuff on the market.
crocrx

Postby kevbo82 » Tue May 17, 2016 8:17 pm

crocrx wrote:I've used the stuff, it's a great product and the color matches well with the sample you see in the chart. Wash the part with dishsoap, scuff it with a scotchbrite pad and wipe clean with rubbing alcohol. Spray on some adhesive promotor and after 5 mins spray the color using light uniform coats followed by a final heavier coat. You can also use a clear coat for added protection but I don't think it's needed as the SEM basically dyes the part and adheres to it very well. It's probably the best stuff on the market.

Do you recall which color it was you used to get a good match?
kevbo82

Postby crocrx » Wed May 18, 2016 3:23 pm

kevbo82 wrote:
crocrx wrote:I've used the stuff, it's a great product and the color matches well with the sample you see in the chart. Wash the part with dishsoap, scuff it with a scotchbrite pad and wipe clean with rubbing alcohol. Spray on some adhesive promotor and after 5 mins spray the color using light uniform coats followed by a final heavier coat. You can also use a clear coat for added protection but I don't think it's needed as the SEM basically dyes the part and adheres to it very well. It's probably the best stuff on the market.

Do you recall which color it was you used to get a good match?

Sorry no I dont :(
crocrx

Postby JeffWilliamsUSA » Thu May 19, 2016 3:37 am

i did this exact same thing except , i had to glue mine back together and bondo the cracks :/
I don't remember the color i used. it was off the shelf from autozone etc .. probably duplicolor ..
but .. i was too light grey.
If it wasn't going to match anyways, i wish i would have gone darker instead of lighter
if your unsure and want to go ahead , err of the side of darker rather than lighter

and oh , you DEFIINTELY want to use adhesion promotor on this old plastic.
When i did mine , i tried without , made tons of tiny little cracks in the plastic.
i had to start all over :(

well i was gonna post a photo but Flickr, is bogging .. ( first time ever for me .. )
i'll post one when it's working again ..
EDIT .. photo :)

The one on the left , didn't have any cracks in it before i painted it.
all those cracks occurred as a result of painting without adhesion promoter.
( btw if you read the label is also a sealer / primer ) , the photos are the proof of that

the one on the right was in the same condition , no cracks , but : painted with adhesion promoter ..
big difference :)

i tried to find installed photos .. if i can i'll post them.
STUFF 4 SALE
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=190266
Our CRX Family :)
88 HF .. J2-ReX NeW
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=200562
89 DX .. K-ReX
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=47004
91 DX .. J-ReX
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=53872
JeffWilliamsUSA

Postby kevbo82 » Mon May 23, 2016 9:04 pm

JeffWilliamsUSA wrote:i did this exact same thing except , i had to glue mine back together and bondo the cracks :/
I don't remember the color i used. it was off the shelf from autozone etc .. probably duplicolor ..
but .. i was too light grey.
If it wasn't going to match anyways, i wish i would have gone darker instead of lighter
if your unsure and want to go ahead , err of the side of darker rather than lighter

and oh , you DEFIINTELY want to use adhesion promotor on this old plastic.
When i did mine , i tried without , made tons of tiny little cracks in the plastic.
i had to start all over :(

well i was gonna post a photo but Flickr, is bogging .. ( first time ever for me .. )
i'll post one when it's working again ..
EDIT .. photo :)

The one on the left , didn't have any cracks in it before i painted it.
all those cracks occurred as a result of painting without adhesion promoter.
( btw if you read the label is also a sealer / primer ) , the photos are the proof of that

the one on the right was in the same condition , no cracks , but : painted with adhesion promoter ..
big difference :)

i tried to find installed photos .. if i can i'll post them.

Thanks for posting those pictures, kinda made me have a "duh" moment and realize that under where the cover was, the inside of the seat belt light part is still original-ish color so I have something to take to the store and try to match up with the SEM colors. I thought I couldn't do that because that part was greenish now, but didn't think about the inside....
kevbo82

Postby JeffWilliamsUSA » Fri May 27, 2016 4:44 pm

well , just so you know,
the one on the left was painted and i sanded the paint off where it showed.
I didn't bother to sand the interior of the cover.
Not sure if yours will be un-faded under the cover.
Its gonna be great if you can determine an exact match .. i'm staying tuned for more infoz :)
STUFF 4 SALE
88 HF .. J2-ReX NeW
89 DX .. K-ReX
91 DX .. J-ReX
JeffWilliamsUSA

Postby kevbo82 » Fri May 27, 2016 7:49 pm

JeffWilliamsUSA wrote:well , just so you know,
the one on the left was painted and i sanded the paint off where it showed.
I didn't bother to sand the interior of the cover.
Not sure if yours will be un-faded under the cover.
Its gonna be great if you can determine an exact match .. i'm staying tuned for more infoz :)

my cover broke into a million pieces when I looked at it funny, so right now there is no cover and the color under looks pretty close to the headliner (i'm sure it's faded a little over the years) so I think i'll take it down and try to match to the inside of it, because that will be the closest match to whatever the current color of my headliner is. I'll post my results when I finally get around to it.
kevbo82

Postby kevbo82 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:14 pm

Finally got around to finishing this up. So this was one of the 3D printed covers that are being sold on ebay. I'm happy with it's fit and quality, especially for the price and considering what people pay for old plastic for these cars...

First round of sanding was 220 I believe...

Then 320

Finally 400

Ended up choosing SEM's "medium slate gray" (15873) as the closest color match to the unfaded plastic. I had some left over bulldog adhesion promoter so I used that rather than buying anything new from SEM. Two coats of bulldog and three light coats of the SEM

It's a tad lighter in color than everything around it (which is faded and greenish at this point in life) but overall I'm pretty happy with the match, it looks identical to the color the sun visors and their parts are right now. Sorry for the crappy pic installed, pretty dark inside the car in the garage...

kevbo82

Postby JeffWilliamsUSA » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:18 pm

man that looks AWESOME !! .. great job :-)b
STUFF 4 SALE
88 HF .. J2-ReX NeW
89 DX .. K-ReX
91 DX .. J-ReX
JeffWilliamsUSA

Postby Foogar » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:00 am

This is the first time I've seen one with the cover on, looks good!
Foogar

Postby kcjohnnyboy » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:18 am

this is some really nice info! thanks guys!
kcjohnnyboy

Postby rex2nr » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:20 am

My paint shop recommended cleaning the parts, spraying with SEM Sand Free- its like an etching primer for plastics- spraying color and then clearing. they said the clear really increases the durability.
-Scott-
projectCRX Sold
1999 Ford Ranger - Project DD 2011 Ford Escape - family/dog/parts hauler
rex2nr
Resto-Modder

Postby kevbo82 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:32 pm

rex2nr wrote:

My paint shop recommended cleaning the parts, spraying with SEM Sand Free- its like an etching primer for plastics- spraying color and then clearing. they said the clear really increases the durability.

I would tend to agree, and normally I like to use products made to work together like sand free with color coat etc. in this case I cheaped out. I had some stuff on the shelf already and went ahead and used it to save $. If I was doing a bunch of parts I would've sprung for new stuff, but for one little piece in my autocross car...
kevbo82

Postby rex2nr » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:09 am

They suggested the Sand free because of the "leather" texture molded in. I sprayed most of my interior.

Since you had to sand out the printing marks, I would agree you didn't need the sand free etch.
-Scott-
projectCRX Sold
1999 Ford Ranger - Project DD 2011 Ford Escape - family/dog/parts hauler
rex2nr
Resto-Modder

Return to Restoration, Cosmetics, and Detailing