(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

SUPER-Glass-MOD Help, Ideas, Suggestions.

Detailing, rust repair, body work, paint, body kits, interior upgrades and rebuilding.

Moderator: Moderators

SUPER-Glass-MOD Help, Ideas, Suggestions.

Postby EdmontonHonda » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:16 pm

Hello Esteemed Members of CRXcommunity.com

Simple Challenge, with Complex Theorie

I am Adonis, I reside in Edmonton, AB - Canada & I am very interested in performing a Modification that may require not only Glass Work Modification, Cool Interior Lever Controls, Frame Alteration.

I seek help, Ideas, & Suggestions from the Great Creative Minds on CRXcommunity.com

I drive a 1990 Honda CRX si.

I simply need the Rear Quarter Panel Glass to Be Opened Slightly as they are in the 1990 Honda Civic Hatchback Model.

Is it possible that this Modification has been Accomplished in the past?

- Has it had any implications on driving, Air Friction, & Cabin Pressure With the Roof & Glass Open?
- It would be sooooo cool to get a Digital Wind Diagram of what happens when the Car is going 120 and the Drivers Side, Passenger Side and Sunroof are fully Open. & what effect it would have if suddenly you could slightly open the rear quarter panel Glass, would it shake? Would there be a Safe Speed that this would work at?
- If anyone out there has seen this or has already crossed this bridge please relay advise on how to make that journey more fun, in a smooth way.

If Nobody Has yet to achieve this, why? does it seem as it would be too much of a challenge.

I propose it can be done. the cost, what would that be, what could be damaged in the process, I have studied the pillars and they are very similar.

Anyway.. Please PLease REPLY !

as I intend to do it, and if has been done before and someone has pics and such .. it would be super cool.

thanks and happy CRXing!
EdmontonHonda

Re: SUPER-Glass-MOD Help, Ideas, Suggestions.

Postby mossin_90 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:07 pm

thats like trying to make the crx look like a HB
would'nt it?
to me it makes no sense at all but to each his/her own.
both cars are the same generation so the front is basically the same.
now if it was a 92-95 HB with a crx small 1/4 panel glass now that will bring some atention! not that it will look good I realy don't know it might who knows, but it will be different. btw it might end up looking like an insight. lol
'90 CRX DX_5sp
"Maybe it's better that way... memories can be terribly painful, being able to forget is a great blessing"
mossin_90

Postby Intertwined » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:09 pm

you would have to get the hinge setup from a hatch or similar that has pop out rear windows.

then you would have to have custom tempered glass made with the holes in it to mount the hinge/brackets to......or theyre molded into the glass, im not sure.

none the less, it is doable as ive seen it done an an EK hatch one time. Just going to cost alot for the custom glass to be made, unless you maybe you Lexan.......but i dont see that working well.
Intertwined

Postby crocrx » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:28 pm

WTF loll
crocrx

Postby ModifiedEF » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:19 pm

e30/ e36/ e46 etc has something like that just have look how its made.

fiat 126p - some old models has same thing.
i think its possible to do and not much hassle with it.

2 hinges, glue, clip, seals.
:lol: :lol:
ModifiedEF

Postby Myriad » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:41 pm

The 80's Accord Hatchbacks have vent-able rear window in a similar shape as the CRX. I don't think the actual glass will transfer, but the hinges would probly fit great with a little modding. I think it sounds cool, but it might be weird to take advantage while you're driving. I have an '86 Accord HB and it works well with the backseats.

I think it would be novel to use electronic controls to operate it while driving. For instance, lots of domestic vans have that from the factory. All you's need in the part that does the actual operation with a pigtail of wire from it. Hook up a simple switch in one of the spaces behind the steering wheel.

The reason it isn't done a lot, I think, is because of 2 reasons. Either the person wants all the windows sealed, or the glass is replaced by plastic that has vents molded into it. The mod you are thinking about might work great if a person doesn't have A/C.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Postby mossin_90 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:39 am

mossin_90 wrote:thats like trying to make the crx look like a HB
would'nt it?
to me it makes no sense at all but to each his/her own.
both cars are the same generation so the front is basically the same.
now if it was a 92-95 HB with a crx small 1/4 panel glass now that will bring some atention! not that it will look good I realy don't know it might who knows, but it will be different. btw it might end up looking like an insight. lol

well this is embarrassing. :oops: :oops:
my apologies, I have misunderstood your request. For a second I somehow thought of you chopping the top. Idk Y.

As myriad said . All you need is to get the hinge from a HB and use a template to drill a hole at the crx glass, the thing is you will have to use a hinge at the door garnish side and the hinge mechanism that actually allows the glass to lock on position when closed. Also you will need weather strip or the car will leak when raining.
'90 CRX DX_5sp
"Maybe it's better that way... memories can be terribly painful, being able to forget is a great blessing"
mossin_90

Return to Restoration, Cosmetics, and Detailing