(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Aftermarket bumper

Detailing, rust repair, body work, paint, body kits, interior upgrades and rebuilding.

Moderator: Moderators

Aftermarket bumper

Postby crocrx » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:56 pm

Anybody install an aftermarket oem bumper on their crx ? If so how did you find the fitment/quality and where did you buy it.
crocrx
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:18 am
Location: Vancouver

Re: Aftermarket bumper

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:21 pm

Wut iz "aftermarket OEM"? By definition, it's one or the other.
I have never installed a rice kit, so I have nothing useful to contribute.
On the other hand, you have different fingers.
Keep it real. This is the only Honda forum worth my time. You make it happen.
User avatar
Gr8_EE8
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:31 am
Location: EDM Yo!

Re: Aftermarket bumper

Postby crocrx » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:26 pm

Gr8_EE8 wrote:Wut iz "aftermarket OEM"? By definition, it's one or the other.
I have never installed a rice kit, so I have nothing useful to contribute.
On the other hand, you have different fingers.



Ok weirdo.

Anybody else want to contribute and know what i'm talking about ?
crocrx
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:18 am
Location: Vancouver

Re: Aftermarket bumper

Postby Baker » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:44 am

crocrx wrote:Anybody else want to contribute and know what i'm talking about ?


I bought one probably 10 yrs ago, off of eBay. It was a very tight fit, but once it was one, it stretched and fit the car much better.
Other than that, had no other issues with it.



Gr8_EE8 wrote:Wut iz "aftermarket OEM"?


It's a fairly common term, meaning an aftermarket/non OEM company making an OEM style part.
User avatar
Baker
Mr. Search
 
Posts: 20807
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:48 am
Location: Between Cortland & Ithaca, NY

Re: Aftermarket bumper

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:39 am

Baker wrote:
Gr8_EE8 wrote:Wut iz "aftermarket OEM"?


It's a fairly common term, meaning an aftermarket/non OEM company making an OEM style part.


Oh, you mean "OEM style" or "OEM replacement". Aftermarket usually refers to secondary-market enhancement parts.
Keep it real. This is the only Honda forum worth my time. You make it happen.
User avatar
Gr8_EE8
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:31 am
Location: EDM Yo!

Re: Aftermarket bumper

Postby Baker » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:17 am

Gr8_EE8 wrote:
Baker wrote:
Gr8_EE8 wrote:Wut iz "aftermarket OEM"?


It's a fairly common term, meaning an aftermarket/non OEM company making an OEM style part.


Oh, you mean "OEM style" or "OEM replacement". Aftermarket usually refers to secondary-market enhancement parts.


It's pretty self explanatory.
The term aftermarket can apply to both scenario's, it's a secondary market, NON OEM manufacturer making OEM style parts.
User avatar
Baker
Mr. Search
 
Posts: 20807
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:48 am
Location: Between Cortland & Ithaca, NY

Re: Aftermarket bumper

Postby tommy » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:07 pm

I'd have to vote for the "aftermarket OEM" term being confusing and not the best one you could use, honestly.

Over the years, I've heard all kinds of stories about awful fitment, but no first hand experience. That's why I'm still on my original bumper, even with its issues.
1990 ZcSi
User avatar
tommy
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:37 pm
Location: Westwood, NJ

Re: Aftermarket bumper

Postby hf99rex » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:04 pm

I bought one off RockAuto for like $93 *but shipping was a lot, forget what it came to altogether. Wasnt bad, like the above poster said it fit kind of tight but looked nice once it was on. Ive hear the plastic doesnt take paint quite as well as oem, but I imagine if you scuffed it up, primed and sealed and use some flex additive it would paint nice enough. I just left it black and it looked kind of mean.
hf99rex
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:42 pm

Re: Aftermarket bumper

Postby Baker » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:58 am

hf99rex wrote: Ive hear the plastic doesnt take paint quite as well as oem, but I imagine if you scuffed it up, primed and sealed and use some flex additive it would paint nice enough.


If it is not prepped correctly, it won't.
User avatar
Baker
Mr. Search
 
Posts: 20807
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:48 am
Location: Between Cortland & Ithaca, NY


Return to Restoration, Cosmetics, and Detailing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests