(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Need help with body work on my crx

Detailing, rust repair, body work, paint, body kits, interior upgrades and rebuilding.

Moderator: Moderators

Need help with body work on my crx

Postby KeenenCrx » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:05 pm

Ok so on the drivers side of my crx the area where I pump gas is all messed up.( can show pics if anyone can help) I really want to fix it instead of having to put red duct tape over the area all the time but don't know how to. Can someone please help me
KeenenCrx

Re: Need help with body work on my crx

Postby Foogar » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:45 am

Without pics of the damage we can't really guide you in the right direction. That area will be a pain for a beginner though so I'll say if you want it to be perfect you'll want to have a pro do it. If you want to learn I'd suggest going to a junkyard and grabbing an old truck hood to practice on first.
Foogar

Postby crocrx » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:31 am

If you like your car take it to a pro unless you want to practice bodywork on your car and risk ruining it.
crocrx

Postby thaeli » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:56 am

I agree that's not the easiest place for a beginner body repair, but it's hardly the worst place either. And there is a patch panel available, if you're describing the place I think you are. A photo would really help!
thaeli

Postby KeenenCrx » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:35 am

I'll post a pic later today!
KeenenCrx

Postby ef yu » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:16 pm

thats some pretty extensive damage to the quarter panel. however, here is what i would do step by step. btw, i am no body man. ive only done work for myself. it may not be the "correct" way some people may see.

-remove inner panels exposing the damage from the inside.
-push/hammer as much of the damage back out as far as possible without it extruding further than the rest of the panel. (btw the more you push/hammer out, the more you stretch the metal panel, the more it will flex)
-grind off paint
-start applying body filler to "fill" in any remaining dents you couldn't do by hand.
-sand/shave off unnecessary body filler as you see fit.
-compare to the right side of body to get it correctly shaped when sanding.
-work your way from sanding grits of 60grit all the way up to 1500 (feel for uneven-ness)
-prime and paint
- jim
ef yu

Postby KeenenCrx » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:17 pm

ef yu wrote:thats some pretty extensive damage to the quarter panel. however, here is what i would do step by step. btw, i am no body man. ive only done work for myself. it may not be the "correct" way some people may see.

-remove inner panels exposing the damage from the inside.
-push/hammer as much of the damage back out as far as possible without it extruding further than the rest of the panel. (btw the more you push/hammer out, the more you stretch the metal panel, the more it will flex)
-grind off paint
-start applying body filler to "fill" in any remaining dents you couldn't do by hand.
-sand/shave off unnecessary body filler as you see fit.
-compare to the right side of body to get it correctly shaped when sanding.
-work your way from sanding grits of 60grit all the way up to 1500 (feel for uneven-ness)
-prime and paint

Sounds like a plan, thank you man
KeenenCrx

Postby RamaCrx » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:25 pm

Realistically I think that panel needs to be cut off and a replacement welded back in. The gas filler just complicates everything.
RamaCrx

Postby KeenenCrx » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:25 pm

RamaCrx wrote:Realistically I think that panel needs to be cut off and a replacement welded back in. The gas filler just complicates everything.

Where can I get a replacement ?
KeenenCrx

Postby RamaCrx » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:27 pm

From an wreck. You can find people with parts cars around that will cut it off and sell it. It will take some looking but possible. A friend in Nashville did it on his.
RamaCrx

Postby Baker » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:27 am

A few rust/rot/body repair articles worth looking at:
viewtopic.php?t=12393

http://www.rogerspace.org/rogertiii/rustfaq/rustfaq.htm
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby Foogar » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:44 am

ef yu wrote:-push/hammer as much of the damage back out as far as possible without it extruding further than the rest of the panel. (btw the more you push/hammer out, the more you stretch the metal panel, the more it will flex)

To help form the area use a dolly on the other side of the panel so you have something you're hitting against. Get it close and then attack it with body filler like ef yu said.
Foogar

Postby Baker » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:30 pm

By all means, please use the body filler sparingly, where it is needed for small dents you couldn't get. By no means use it to fill in wide, missing gaps where steel should be.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby mossin_90 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:48 am

Like it was said before remove inside panels and work from inside out, BUT I would not use a hammer, I would use a bottle hydraulic jack and a 2x4. Then use a dolly with a hammer to finish it up a bit.
gl
'90 CRX DX_5sp
"Maybe it's better that way... memories can be terribly painful, being able to forget is a great blessing"
mossin_90

Postby Gophat » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:03 am

Try to hammer the creases and then push the dents out. Usually if you get the creases first the rest should pop out relatively easy, I mean the damage is rough but that's what I would do.
1988 Honda CRX DX

Feedback Page
Gophat

Return to Restoration, Cosmetics, and Detailing