(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Putting a one-owner '88 HF back on the road

Detailing, rust repair, body work, paint, body kits, interior upgrades and rebuilding.

Moderator: Moderators

Putting a one-owner '88 HF back on the road

Postby obsoleted » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:35 pm

Hi-
Last summer I bought a 1988 CRX HF, and well, summer is coming again, so time to start making it driveable again.
The good: Less than 52,000 miles(possibly much less, replaced cluster), has been in a garage since last registration expired in 1997, owned from new by a mechanic
The bad: It has been off the road and ignored for 20 years...and a good chunk of the 10 years before that. It does have some bubbling on the rear quarters from being exposed in a carport for some years.
The story: It was bought new to be an audio show car, which means it was driven to shows for a few years then mothballed. Mechanically it is unmolested, except for aftermarket 13"(!) alloy wheels, a different exhaust, and a special high-output 200 amp GM truck alternator to run the stereo. Cosmetically, it has tint one the windows(starting to bubble), many, many speakers mounted in the doors, and a huge subwoofer box that takes up the entire hatch area, done in period blue carpeting.
So, first order of business is a timing belt and new battery before even trying to crank it, and tires before trying to move it...the oil and coolant look fine, and the hoses feel pretty flexible. Is there any other must-service issues I should be aware of? Brakes and clutch I figure I can wait and see if they feel ok once it moves.
Thanks,
Scott

obsoleted

Re: Putting a one-owner '88 HF back on the road

Postby Baker » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:24 am

obsoleted wrote:It has been off the road and ignored for 20 years...and a good chunk of the 10 years before that.
So, first order of business is a timing belt and new battery before even trying to crank it, and tires before trying to move it...the oil and coolant look fine, and the hoses feel pretty flexible.

Drain and replace ALL fluids.
Do a full basic tune up, and filter changes.
Feel and check all rubber hoses fro cracks and dry rot.
Check and look for mice or any evidence of critters, they love wires.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby Nuckingfuts » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:29 am

Drain the fuel tank, there is a plug, might have to even drop the tank if you get rust and varnish coming out when you drain it. Also pick up a new fuel filter. I would be more worried about fuel than spark
Nuckingfuts

Postby tommy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:51 am

Have fun with the project, Scott!

Nice EP3 - do you go to Street Scene?
1990 ZcSi
tommy

Return to Restoration, Cosmetics, and Detailing