(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Headliner glued to windshield

Detailing, rust repair, body work, paint, body kits, interior upgrades and rebuilding.

Moderator: Moderators

Headliner glued to windshield

Postby adamlee05 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:16 pm

As the title says, the front edge of my headliner is glued to the body and windshield with black polyurethane. It seems that the windshield was replaced at some point, and the installer used too much sealant. I'm trying to drop the sunroof assembly and only the front edge of the headliner is stopping me.

Has anyone experienced this before who could offer some advice? Running a razor along inside of the windshield seems to be doing more to loosen the glass than it does the headliner. The interior is essentially pristine and I'd prefer not to destroy the headliner.
adamlee05

Re: Headliner glued to windshield

Postby Gophat » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:48 pm

Happened to me with the [butt-head] at USA glass. I had to take the clips off the headliner just above the seats and remove the trim on the pillars all around. Flap the thing up and down gently to "preforate" the glue. Then I followed up with a razor. I didn't damage anything but the glue was all over the place.
1988 Honda CRX DX

Feedback Page
Gophat

Postby adamlee05 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:13 am

Gophat wrote:Happened to me with the [butt-head] at USA glass. I had to take the clips off the headliner just above the seats and remove the trim on the pillars all around. Flap the thing up and down gently to "preforate" the glue. Then I followed up with a razor. I didn't damage anything but the glue was all over the place.

so you unclipped the panel going down the sides of the hatch as well? My headliner extends just beyond that, past the door.
adamlee05

Postby Gophat » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:17 pm

Take off the sun visors and mirror. Remove all the pillar trims up to the dome light (unclip them and leave them hang loose if you want). Gently remove the headliner clips in the back by the dome light and it should hang a bit. Then move the headliner up and down gently and the polyurethane should crease a bit and cut it softly until its free.
1988 Honda CRX DX

Feedback Page
Gophat

Postby Gophat » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:18 pm

Not in the hatch area no, once you remove the dome light and pull the dome light trim down, you will see the division between the hatch area and B pillar trim.

I see what you mean, Take a 17mm and remove the safety belt bolt holding the top so the hatch trim can dangle a bit. You don't have to remove the whole thing.
1988 Honda CRX DX

Feedback Page
Gophat

Postby adamlee05 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:12 pm

Ah okay thanks. Yeah I've had everything removed for 2 days now except B pillar. I'm hoping it works, just concerned it might not work as I'm pretty sure the polyurethane isn't going to budge like glue would. Will try shortly and report back. Thanks man!
adamlee05

Postby Gophat » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:15 pm

If there is a large amount like mine was, I went and bought a tube of black 3M window weld and I filled in the window area. My car actually had a leak just above the dash and the headliner was glued. They didn't want to fix it either.

Good Luck! :-)b
1988 Honda CRX DX

Feedback Page
Gophat

Postby Trimman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:26 pm

not sure if this will work, but when polyurethane is not cured. you can dissolve it with a product called awesome. I am a auto trimmer and I have to use polyurethane. nasty stuff out of the tube. dilute the awesome to 50/50 water. spray it own a rag and rub gently. undiluted awesome can spot vinyl and fade color. you can purchase this product at dollar tree. cheap stuff . best cleaner out the for vinyl and leather. just condition leather after use on leather.
Trimman

Postby adamlee05 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:13 pm

Trimman wrote:not sure if this will work, but when polyurethane is not cured. you can dissolve it with a product called awesome. I am a auto trimmer and I have to use polyurethane. nasty stuff out of the tube. dilute the awesome to 50/50 water. spray it own a rag and rub gently. undiluted awesome can spot vinyl and fade color. you can purchase this product at dollar tree. cheap stuff . best cleaner out the for vinyl and leather. just condition leather after use on leather.

Hey thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, the windshield was replaced at some point before I bought the car 5 years ago. I've had it in storage until last week.

Going by the service manual, it seems the front of the headliner has a lip that goes around part of the cars body, under the windshield. Seem about right?
adamlee05

Postby adamlee05 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:17 am

got it out. Starting on the passenger side, I was able to get a flathead screwdriver between the body of the car and the black trim piece thats part of the headliner, close to the windshield area. I actually slid the screwdriver under the headliner, between the roof, then began prying. Once I got about 8 inches done, I just slowly pulled it down. What a pain in the ass.
adamlee05

Postby Gophat » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:39 am

Thank god you didn't break the windshield. Did you take pictures? You should show somebody over there what their shop is doing.
1988 Honda CRX DX

Feedback Page
Gophat

Postby adamlee05 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:31 pm

Gophat wrote:Thank god you didn't break the windshield. Did you take pictures? You should show somebody over there what their shop is doing.

I got the car 5 years ago and it was already done. No clue who did it.
adamlee05

Return to Restoration, Cosmetics, and Detailing