(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

My CRX project

Detailing, rust repair, body work, paint, body kits, interior upgrades and rebuilding.

Moderator: Moderators

My CRX project

Postby Theboy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:36 am

This is just a place for me to post some progress pics and hopefully get some opinions on some of the restoration. This post will do mainly with body work and cosmetics Ill make a another one for the electrical.

I plan on doing this in restoration in two stages the initial one is to get it looking clean and repair most of the body then the second step I intend to do a kswap with a k20a type r and bring it to obd2, blackwidow body kit, lambo doors.( I know some of you hate me xD)
Im no mechanic nor do i have experience with body work so i plan on taking it to a local shop to fix the body. Engine swap will also be done by a shop tho i will probably make the harness.

Anyways here she is http://imgur.com/a/AV5v3
anyone know what body kit that is on it?

on to my current delema i want splash liners for the crx but havent found any i did however find ones for a 1991 civic hatch will those work or be close enough that it would fit?
I also need a ash tray any spares around?
And a fuse cover. Going by numbers is a strain on the eyes
Theboy

Re: My CRX project

Postby tommy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:53 am

Looks like a badly bondoed old school Wings West kit.

They do sell the wheel well liners on ebay; fitment is pretty [crummy], though. But at least in the front, it's better than nothing.
1990 ZcSi
tommy

Postby Baker » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:31 am

Theboy wrote:
I plan on doing this in restoration in two stages the initial one is to get it looking clean and repair most of the body then the second step I intend to do a kswap with a k20a type r and bring it to obd2, blackwidow body kit, lambo doors.( I know some of you hate me xD)
Im no mechanic nor do i have experience with body work so i plan on taking it to a local shop to fix the body. Engine swap will also be done by a shop tho i will probably make the harness.

What's your budget for all this?
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby Theboy » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:17 pm

About 15,000 USD.
3 on body cosmetics
10 engine
2 on car

Sadly I looked under her yesterday and I have no rocker panels D:
I'm looking at a nice clean body just gotta get the guy to message me back only problem is it's a automatic but for 650 for almost no rust and in the color I want I think I'm gonna take the gamble and try to put my internals in it. Idk the difference between the bodies so if this wouldn't work I hope someone will chime in.

I'm also looking just getting civic panels and cutting them up only problem is I have no where to work on this.

Full rust repair rockers, fenders and some patches in the wheel wells. It's kind of looking like if I want to use this car ima need to do most of the building dy myself cuz thats like what a 2-3 grand repair not including paint right
Theboy

Postby zcash » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:52 am

This is just my opinion, but that whole body has been bondoed to fill the seams of the body kit and rear bumper. Will take a lot of sanding, then you still have rust repair, paint, etc.

I'd get yourself a clean body to work with like you said and transfer all your interior over. Only thing I can think of that would be different is the door panels and seats rails. If both crxs have door mounted seat belts, and are in this same year range 88-89 or 90-91 which would be the seat rail differences I believe, but as long as all that is the same then you shouldn't have an issue. Everything else should swap over without any issues as they all had the same interior parts
zcash

Postby signalpuke » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:54 pm

I would recommend buying a CRX that is already swapped. It will save you a lot of money (get everything for almost half price most of the time).
signalpuke

Postby Theboy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:01 am

dude u find me a k20a type r crx $7500 lemme know. [crud] ill take another engine as long as the car pushes 220 no nitrus no boost and has a engine weight under 500lbs. ive found 3 crx's in my area and like 2 others ive seen on the streets
Theboy

Postby Theboy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:15 am

So havent heard back from the guy im talking to so im looking at removing rust and paint. Lookin at options and i found some interesting videos

Just thought id share these.

Got some nice stuff on the way though i should have a full trunk set, new carpet, ashtray (Google "craigslist; crx" shows multiple areas). Yea progress!

Im lookin at gettin a siphon blaster to get the real trouble areas (bondo) but those methods look like the might work alil better for the real bad paper thin stuff.

1:9 Molasses to water let sit 2-3 weeks
3:2 Vinegar to water dissolves rust in hours
Theboy

Postby signalpuke » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:53 pm

Theboy wrote:dude u find me a k20a type r crx $7500 lemme know. [crud] ill take another engine as long as the car pushes 220 no nitrus no boost and has a engine weight under 500lbs. ive found 3 crx's in my area and like 2 others ive seen on the streets

I sold mine 8 years ago for less than that. Just browse K20A.org, they pop up.

The reason they sell for cheap is because a bank isn't going to give anyone a loan that high for a 25yo car. Cash only.
signalpuke

Return to Restoration, Cosmetics, and Detailing