(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

RSX Seats in a CRX - Anyone interested? Input please :)

Detailing, rust repair, body work, paint, body kits, interior upgrades and rebuilding.

Moderator: Moderators

RSX Seats in a CRX - Anyone interested? Input please :)

Postby dbjs100 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:44 pm

Before you read what's below, just know that I'm looking for input from you guys. I have a plan, and it honestly is a good one. What I want to know from the community is would you guys be interested in this? I really decided this would be a good idea because RSX seats are fairly affordable, and also because I realized that Katzkin doesn't even have CRX replacement skins. So as you read this, keep in mind that all I'm looking for is whether or not you all would be interested in this; a simple way to have RSX seats in your CRX without having to spend hours planning, fabricating, testing, etc...

Here's an old topic; I'll outline the basic problems encountered beneath the link..
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=53066
-The seats are too high if you use the RSX tracks, putting your balls into the steering wheel.
-There is no *easy* way to swap the track without a huge amount of fab work

SO I know I'm reviving a dead idea, but right now I have a method to make this work with the proper height... I also have access regularly (maybe like 1 set a month) to both cloth and leather rsx seats. Overall, there's probably about 2 hours of work to do the install. Also, it's going to cost me roughly $100 per set to get the metal fabrication I need... Anyone who is interested, let me know.

Inspiration came from a friend of mine, who created these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/260983875735
He's an engineer, and he's helping in creating my method.

The concept was simple. We wanted to find the way we could modify the seats minimally, yet still have the great OEM look and feel to them. The result...
-The seats will look like they belong. Correct height, width, etc.
-The seats will also still have all the functions, recline and sliding, comparable to the OEM CR-X Seats

What is required, and how much will this cost?

-Well, first off, you need your CRX seats, as some components will be used...
-A set of RSX seats (I'll talk about whole package deals later)
-Adapter brackets. (discussed below)

When will these be available?

The initial fabrication of these is going to cost me roughly $200 for the first set in manufacturing costs alone. I also have invested about 15 hours of my own time in R&D. Thankfully once the master set is made, I can actually produce these for around $100 for each set thereafter. If this picks up steam, I will gladly sell the brackets w/hardware for around $175 a set with shipping, and a thorough walkthrough included (So you don't have to run back & forth to the computer, or print out like 10 pages off the forum.)

-Currently, due to financial concerns, it looks like I have to wait until mid June to actually crank out a second set, unless I know that a few people are genuinely interested.

============================================

I'm considering making package deals as well, which would include the RSX seats (cloth or leather, your choice), all the possible fabrication work done on them, so all you have to do is about an hour of work for the install.
My estimate for everything you need including seats:

RSX Seats in near perfect condition: $175 (cloth) $250 (leather)
Adapter Brackets w/hardware: $175
Shipping: Depends!
TOTAL: 350+S&H (Cloth), $425 + S&H (Leather)
Shipping will probably be right around $100, depending where you live.

=============================================
Little background info on myself:
I work with seats for a living, also any seat I get is in great condition (alot better than craigslist, trust me.) If this picks up steam, I would be more than happy to actually fabricate quite a few copies.

A link to my personal eBay is below; I sell some of my inventory on there. Not trying to advertise, just trying to show that I'm not some kid with a socket set, a grinder, and a fifth of jack who's overconfident... I know what I'm doing.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/oem-outlet/m.html

My last project was abandoned (Mustang rears in a crx) due to safety concerns primarily, and also due to the fact that this car is classified in the US as a 2-seater. Any cop could be a total [butt-head] to me on that, especially since the outcome, while it did look great, didn't look OEM no matter how many modifications I made. (It did end up fitting though! The only step I was missing was attatching the back, which required me to make a connection between the two pillars. I just didn't feel right about it. Too many modifications were needed.)
dbjs100

Re: RSX Seats in a CRX - Anyone interested? Input please :)

Postby Jee-F » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:23 pm

interesting
IG: Jee_Kay88 (mostly CRX pics)

2003 Civic Street Edition - DD
Mugen EF8 - Project -B16s suck
Jee-F

Postby Will. » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:09 pm

^ sounds interesting

BUT this time add PICTURES

even if you didn't use it, we still never got to see that mustang rear seat mounted!! :x
Will.

Postby tommy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:45 pm

Yes, I can't see anyone saying that they're ready to go down this route without pics showing how things look.
1990 ZcSi
tommy

Postby dbjs100 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:54 pm

tommy wrote:Yes, I can't see anyone saying that they're ready to go down this route without pics showing how things look.

Completely understandable. At least there's a good bit of interest flying around though! I'm definitely going to do this, and with what seems to be pretty promising interest, I think I might go ahead and get the plate made the moment I have a chance. I work 40hrs a week, plus FT school so i'm pretty damn busy.

Right now I'm trying to decide if I'm only going to make one copy, or if I'm going to make a master copy so I can duplicate them. I hope I can get a few people interested so I can feel alright making duplicates. I'd hate to spend literally $300 more than I need to and end up with some fancy metal plates chilling in my garage forever.
dbjs100

Postby dbjs100 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:04 pm

Will. wrote:^ sounds interesting

BUT this time add PICTURES

even if you didn't use it, we still never got to see that mustang rear seat mounted!! :x

Ironically enough, It pretty much just flops right in perfectly. I started to use these (not exact ones, but close): http://www.ebay.com/itm/260993014325

They were sitting fine. The most difficult part was finding a type of bracket just to hold the back of the seat upright. Everything was pretty much in play, but the forum did make me realize I was basically sacraficing my amp rack (cargo divider) for no reason, because really, who the hell could sit back there??? Also, I would have to create a custom rear strut bar... It was just a HUGE project, and I was still new in the seat fabrication industry. Really had NO idea what the [potty mouth] I was getting myself into. It did look mighty purrty though. The last step was to trim off some foam to reduce the height of the seat bottom. I realized it was a pointless project before I did that (which would have ruined a $280 item) so I never actually completed that part.
dbjs100

Postby dbjs100 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:09 pm

tommy wrote:Yes, I can't see anyone saying that they're ready to go down this route without pics showing how things look.

I'm not looking for actual commitment right now. All I'm really looking for is a verdict. I think people would be willing to spend a little money to make it look good. I will definitely show pictures as soon as the project is actually completed. Right now I'm in a time crunch. I think I've decided to definitely make a master bracket though, so I can replicate them whenever I want.

Trust me, I'm not doing this for financial gain. I'm doing this because every single CRX I've seen has [crummy] seats, and that tends to make people brush off the car even more. RSX seats are hella comfy too :) Right now my seat in my crx tries stabbing me. Not going to bother fixing it. It's aftermarket black vinyl, and it's *impossible* to find replacement vinyl that matches for it.

I wouldn't feel right half-assing this job; this is for a car I absolutely love :biggrin:
dbjs100

Postby daveb91 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:12 pm

Hmm ok here we go again.....so you never finished the rear seats...? Shocker!
daveb91

Postby snarflebits » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:03 pm

There is probably some legitimate interest but you probably already knew that or you wouldn't be testing the waters.

-Currently, due to financial concerns, it looks like I have to wait until mid June to actually crank out a second set, unless I know that a few people are genuinely interested.

If you can't afford to pump out a set and supply pictures at 200 dollars then it's not likely that anyone will be interested enough to send you their hard earned money. A lot of great ideas get a lot of support and then there is no follow through. Put together a set, install them, and show off your awesome idea.

-These are just my two pennies, take em for what they're worth.
"I do one thing at a time. I do it well, then I move on" - Al Baty
"Make your own luck" - Rob Dyrdek
My Build Thread
snarflebits

Postby dbjs100 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:48 am

daveb91 wrote:Hmm ok here we go again.....so you never finished the rear seats...? Shocker!

It was finished, but as everyone on the forum said, it was practically useless. All I needed to do was literally bolt on a frame and trim foam. I wasn't going to ruin a $300 set of seats for something I realized was useless....
dbjs100

Postby dbjs100 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:52 am

I've decided I'm going to make 2 sets. One for me, and a master set. Getting my boss to front me the money (he thinks it will eventually pay for itself). :-)b

snarflebits wrote:There is probably some legitimate interest but you probably already knew that or you wouldn't be testing the waters.

If you can't afford to pump out a set and supply pictures at 200 dollars then it's not likely that anyone will be interested enough to send you their hard earned money. A lot of great ideas get a lot of support and then there is no follow through. Put together a set, install them, and show off your awesome idea.

-These are just my two pennies, take em for what they're worth.
dbjs100

Postby Wolf Si » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:40 pm

(4 years later) Yep

Did this fabrication project get off the ground and do you pictures of the RSX seats installed?

I'm interested. :-)b
Wolf Si

Postby hispanicpanic » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:03 pm

I need seats bad.

Even if this doesn't pan out, can anyone reccomend anything? I just bought a CRX HF and the front seats are down to the wire frame. No padding.
hispanicpanic

Postby tommy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:17 am

Two options: get your seats completely redone in a fabric that you like by a professional with new foam, or get high quality aftermarket seats and then wrestle with the brackets and slider options (pretty [crummy] options all around, honestly). If you are 5' 9" or over, custom brackets are much better, as typical brackets raise the seats an uncomfortable amount, especially if you might be tracking it like you said in your other thread and need a little more headroom for a helmet. People have made other Honda seats fit, but it always looks half-assed, and I wouldn't want to be tracking a car with questionable mounting.

As usual, it all comes down to money. And there really aren't any good looking safe options that don't cost a good amount of money at this point.
1990 ZcSi
tommy

Postby 4drSpankR » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:58 am

hispanicpanic wrote:I need seats bad.

Even if this doesn't pan out, can anyone reccomend anything? I just bought a CRX HF and the front seats are down to the wire frame. No padding.

Where are you located? I have both front HF (blue) seats.
1991 HF - previously '90 B18A1 now '97 B18C1
1989 Si - running parts car/gone
4drSpankR

Postby Myriad » Mon May 02, 2016 5:32 am

It's interesting to me that this topic was bumped, I have a set of cloth RSX seats I plan to fit into my dx when I can stop driving it so much.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Postby Timmy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:25 pm

dbjs100 wrote:My last project was abandoned (Mustang rears in a crx) due to safety concerns primarily, and also due to the fact that this car is classified in the US as a 2-seater. Any cop could be a total [butt-head] to me on that, especially since the outcome, while it did look great, didn't look OEM no matter how many modifications I made. (It did end up fitting though! The only step I was missing was attatching the back, which required me to make a connection between the two pillars. I just didn't feel right about it. Too many modifications were needed.)

I just bought a 88 CRX and It has LX foxbody mustang seats in it. Currently looking for Si seats to put in it.
Timmy

Postby daveb91 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:32 am

8)
daveb91

Postby coolfool » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:14 pm

could you make it for a 89 civic si as well ?
coolfool

Postby hispanicpanic » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:53 pm

4drSpankR wrote:
hispanicpanic wrote:I need seats bad.

Where are you located? I have both front HF (blue) seats.

san antonio, might be a bit far to ship
hispanicpanic

Return to Restoration, Cosmetics, and Detailing