(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Diesel Engine

Anything goes, as long as it follows the Community Rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Diesel Engine

Postby Roxxy123 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:36 pm

Hey guys, I just had a very curious thought poking at me lately;

Has anyone done a diesel swap in their CRX? I'm having a hard time finding any information about this, the only posts I saw were from 2006 and 2009 here. I'm also struggling to find what cars Honda made that are diesel. I know a lot of them are in Europe and India, etc. The only information I can really find is the Wiki page about the Honda N Series Engine:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_N_engine

So my question goes; has anyone swapped a Honda diesel into their cars?? (I know VW diesels have been swapped in CRX's but lets keep it Honda authentic here. :wink: :rofl: ) And/or does anyone know where or how someone in the US can get their hands on a N Series Engine?? Any junkyards that may ship over seas?

A side question I had regarding this;
Because my car is 25 years+ old, it's exempt from emissions testing (at least where I am, WA). If I were to swap a diesel in it, would I have to get it emission tested for anything? Do diesels have different emission regulations? I'm really uneducated about the diesel world of cars.

So I hope this picks at your guy's brains also, but any knowledge or questions or really anything would be fun to hear!! Thanks guys!
1991 CRX DX
1972 Honda CB750
1966 Mustang
Roxxy123

Re: Diesel Engine

Postby crxgator » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:20 pm

Usually diesels have less stringent emission requirements than gassers.

I wouldn't bother with the swap.
imgoingforit wrote:Is SJ Cloudpump?
crxgator
Original Gator

Postby Gasoline Fumes » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:42 pm

I believe putting a diesel into a CRX would violate federal law. I think that's true with any non-factory engine swap. But if your car is exempt in WA, nobody has to know what's under the hood. ;)
1988 CRXFi - Project
1991 Civic Wagon - 70+ MPG Rustbucket
Gasoline Fumes

Postby Myriad » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:10 pm

Gasoline Fumes wrote:I believe putting a diesel into a CRX would violate federal law. I think that's true with any non-factory engine swap. But if your car is exempt in WA, nobody has to know what's under the hood. ;)

Not federal law, just state law.... which also depends on the state. Federal laws are mostly with the selling of newer vehicles, and even of those laws, they are mostly restrictions for dealerships.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Postby Gasoline Fumes » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:10 am

1988 CRXFi - Project
1991 Civic Wagon - 70+ MPG Rustbucket
Gasoline Fumes

Postby Myriad » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:59 pm

Gasoline Fumes wrote:Maybe I'm misunderstanding this?
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/fi ... itch_0.pdf

Thank you for posting that. It gave me a better understanding of what the EPA has in place.

I guess I was half wrong and half right. The federal office of the EPA needs compliance with the individual states to enforce the ultimate owners and it boils down to the state EPA regulations at that point. I believe it is because of the state licensing regulations. IIRC all states that test for emissions have to meet federal regulations set for that year. One of the main points to watch is the magic number 25, the years when some or all regulations fall off. Cali will still enforce, but the counties around Cleveland won't touch cars older than 25 years old, for example.

For our CRXs, they are practically, federally green for whatever you want to do to it. You'd need to triple check with the specific state since they can have more strict rules than the feds, like California.

I should have written into it more: a crx with a certified or 25 year old diesel engine will pass federal inspection, but may not pass state inspection.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Return to The Lounge