(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

OEM Floor Mats Reproduction Discussion Thread

Anything goes, as long as it follows the Community Rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: OEM Floor Mats Reproduction Discussion Thread

Postby zcash » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:04 pm

Updates go as far as finding a company to laser carpet to make the logos. But nothing so far as getting anything made/completed yet. Still just waiting on money to get everything produced. I'm currently in school, but once I get out and work some, I should make enough money to pay for all my costs and get them made. So far just to cut the logos, I've been quoted $2 per letter for 300 letters total (equivalent to 50 sets of floor mats) and still have to pay for carpet, shipping to and from the company. Previous company I found that did fine thread logos was only asking $1.70 per letter, plus $25 per letter for making a tool/dye, plus shipping to me, but I did not have to pay extra for material and shipping to them.

So far I have found:
Custom cut floor mats with correct material and similar color
Company to cut carpet for the logos

I need:
Money to purchase floor mats and the logos (I would say $3k would be suffice to get it started)
Find OEM floor mats to confirm material for the logo, as well as color for the stripe
Possibly find another company to cut the carpet logos (cheaper pricing)
zcash

Postby Baker » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:47 pm

zcash wrote:I need:
Money to purchase floor mats and the logos (I would say $3k would be suffice to get it started)

This is why I think this will NOT come to fruition.
I'm not sure the demand is there to make this profitable or maybe come close to making your money back on your initial investment of $3k.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby zcash » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:25 pm

Possibly not on making my money back quickly or at all, but I personally want at least four of them for my cars as daily use mats. And if I am unable to sell the mats, then I will possibly sell the logos to restore the OEM mats as an alternative.

It may take me a couple years to sell, but any business is expected to wait a couple years before they break even, so I assume the same responsibility. It really isn't a lot of money to lose, business wise, considering people go in debt with $100K+ every year.
zcash

Postby Baker » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:07 pm

zcash wrote:It may take me a couple years to sell, but any business is expected to wait a couple years before they break even, so I assume the same responsibility. It really isn't a lot of money to lose, business wise, considering people go in debt with $100K+ every year.

I don't disagree at all.
I don't think people realize that taking something on like this takes time and doesn't happen overnight, which is why both potential buyers lose interest and hopeful producers/sellers don't follow through.
The folks clamoring and requesting them now, will most likely not be interested in them a few years down the road, so which makes me question how much in demand they'll be.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby zcash » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:44 pm

Baker wrote:
zcash wrote:It may take me a couple years to sell, but any business is expected to wait a couple years before they break even, so I assume the same responsibility. It really isn't a lot of money to lose, business wise, considering people go in debt with $100K+ every year.

I don't disagree at all.
I don't think people realize that taking something on like this takes time and doesn't happen overnight, which is why both potential buyers lose interest and hopeful producers/sellers don't follow through.
The folks clamoring and requesting them now, will most likely not be interested in them a few years down the road, so which makes me question how much in demand they'll be.

I agree with you 100% and it may have to be that way. People change their minds about buying things all the time. I actually have worked a little bit in retail and I have seen people say "I will be right back on such and such and pick it up" but they never show up. So I understand people will always do that regardless of the business and what they are selling.

A good example was when tommy had a group buy on the replica door lock stickers. People said they'd buy when the idea came up, but did not follow through after he purchased them and I know that will happen. So knowing that, I am just taking on the debt of this in hopes to sell some, most likely which will be slow at first. It may even take just a couple years for people to find out they are even for sale.
zcash

Postby Baker » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:44 pm

zcash wrote:A good example was when tommy had a group buy on the replica door lock stickers. People said they'd buy when the idea came up, but did not follow through after he purchased them

But there is a bit of a difference between some $10 door lock stickers and a $3k initial investment in $150+/- a pair replica floor mats.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby Claysonw » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:52 pm

I will be down for some. Mos def. :-)b
My 1991 CRX Si Build (in progress): viewtopic.php?f=26&t=81777
Claysonw

Postby tommy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:31 pm

Baker wrote:
zcash wrote:A good example was when tommy had a group buy on the replica door lock stickers. People said they'd buy when the idea came up, but did not follow through after he purchased them

But there is a bit of a difference between some $10 door lock stickers and a $3k initial investment in $150+/- a pair replica floor mats.

Actually, I had fewer flakes than I expected, and the whole process went great overall, thanks to the people here.

But my assumption is that the higher the price, the higher the flakitude. Zcash, I'm impressed that you want to go through with this and wish you all the best in it, and am especially glad to see that you know that it won't always be easy going. Hopefully, people will take all that into account as the process moves forward. :-)b
1990 ZcSi
tommy

Postby CRXGuy » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:12 pm

Any progress on the mats? I hope there still coming along :-)b
CRXGuy

Postby Baker » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:11 am

CRXGuy wrote:Any progress on the mats? I hope there still coming along :-)b

Don't bet on it....
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby zcash » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:21 pm

It stopped due to me working and making money selling parts for some extra money. Ive finally started saving some money up and my blue crx stopped running, gotta get that fixed and another crx, then the rest of the money will start to be saved up for the process. The last thing I remember was I was searching for the same quality as oem carpet, which the picture of the samples was the same style just not the same ounces of yarn per square foot (meaning it wasnt as thick and close together). I found a custom carpet/floor mat company rather than what I was originally going to go with and never called them up because I will need money before I speak and ship my floor mats to them lol. But I have not forgotten! Just is taking me longer than I was hoping....
zcash

Postby final_7x » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:34 pm

If this ever comes to be. I would like a set.
final_7x

Postby CRXGuy » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:40 am

Any updates?
CRXGuy

Postby zcash » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:40 am

I was hoping to have done this, but it was getting quite difficult finding a company to make them OEM quality and putting the white stripe on the carpet, which would mean getting custom carpet manufactured and cut to custom floor mats along with the rubber backing.

Lets just say within a couple months, you'll see what I have instead invested my time and money into first. Floor mats would've cost me quite a bit more to have manufactured, or time of me having to also get lettering and dye the white stripe on each and every floor mat. Would be quite time consuming and would have to be a perfectionist.

I haven't lost hope about the floor mats, but I figured there was also something else that needed to be manufactured for less of my cost to help get me some money flowing in. Saved up $6k and am having it manufactured. Ive already waited over 6 months, had received my prototype, test fit it, and now its in production, and I am waiting for it to arrive to my door step to sell to everyone :) (not floor mats)

I will say that I had contacted Auto Custom Carpets, and thought they manufactured carpet but they dont. They have a supplier and cannot take any other carpets than what they supply, meaning could not get me custom carpet to make custom floor mats, but quite possibly could if money talks. Sad I didnt have that much money lol. I contacted all other companies that sold floor mats, contacted almost all of them in the US and it all seems to be the same, they arent manufacturers and couldnt really help me out.

We are talking having carpet manufactured, then shipped to a floor mat company to have them cut and rubber backed and sewn as well as attach lettering, then package and ship to me, then Id have to ship it to everyone else. Gets quite expensive with all the shipping and steps to have to go through. We arent talking a $5,000 job, more like $10,000+ just to get some custom floor mats! But at a fairly large quantity.
zcash

Postby NovaVTEC » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:41 pm

Proto of a... Heater control panel body?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Flint Black EE8 - All OEM Baby!
NovaVTEC

Postby zcash » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:30 pm

Nah, not a heater control panel. I saw one guy had some 3d printed ones going but he never came through with it. I wish that someone would sell them instead of get them made and then go MIA and not sell any to anyone. I have quite a bit of climate controls that could use a new plastic panel body.

At least you'll see when I get them cause I will be selling them. They are only for the US 89-91 crxs, only because I didnt have enough money to do it for the 88-89 pillar mounted cars (HINT). But don't want to get everyone's hopes up when I have no clue when Ill get them. Just am guessing within a month or two Ill be selling them here, facebook, and ebay. (Again for others, its not floor mats)
zcash

Postby zcash » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:50 pm

As far as someome going about making your owncustom floor mats, I'd suggest purchasing floor mats from Auto Custom Carpet. You want to chose a black loop style of floor mat. After you get that, you might try buying some type of black iron-on black patch, cut out your letters, and also get some white carpet dye to spray your stripe on your new floor mats. And depending on how well you can do this, it will look very similar to oem floor mats, just not be anywhere near the quality of carpet as oem.

I was going more for oem quality after I figured why go cheap when its gonna be done, and if I was gonna do it then do it right the first time.

Post pics if anyone does this themselves
zcash

Previous

Return to The Lounge