(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

OEM Floor Mats Reproduction Discussion Thread

Anything goes, as long as it follows the Community Rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: OEM floor mats anyone

Postby duckology » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:42 pm

My 88 Si's have a border and no cutoff of the light grey part, you keep saying white but I don't believe they are white, Mine came with the car from the original owner and have minimal wear and the light grey color line is the same on both passenger and driver side. I also have the dealers invoice specifying from the Honda dealer that the owner purchased the floor mats.....
duckology

Postby zcash » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:49 pm

duckology wrote:My 88 Si's have a border and no cutoff of the light grey part, you keep saying white but I don't believe they are white, Mine came with the car from the original owner and have minimal wear and the light grey color line is the same on both passenger and driver side. I also have the dealers invoice specifying from the Honda dealer that the owner purchased the floor mats.....

Can you show a picture of them? It'd be best to find out now if I should make the stripe white or not.

Added....maybe they were grey for the 88's. Because Robbs are new and they really look white to me
zcash

Postby duckology » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:17 pm

zcash wrote:
duckology wrote:My 88 Si's have a border and no cutoff of the light grey part, you keep saying white but I don't believe they are white, Mine came with the car from the original owner and have minimal wear and the light grey color line is the same on both passenger and driver side. I also have the dealers invoice specifying from the Honda dealer that the owner purchased the floor mats.....

Can you show a picture of them? It'd be best to find out now if I should make the stripe white or not.

Added....maybe they were grey for the 88's. Because Robbs are new and they really look white to me

They are the same color as the stripes in the seat and the headliner, they were designed to match the interior. There is no white in the interior of an 88 Si...light grey, dark grey and black...

Robb's are also light grey not white.
duckology

Postby zcash » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:48 pm

When I find my floor mats I will try and compare the colors. Thank you for bringing that up. Will be getting color samples in the next couple of days
zcash

Postby Gotin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:55 am

Baker wrote:
zcash wrote:Here is what I believe to be the 88's and 89 hf
Unless like I said up above, they were inconsistent with their cutting of the mats

From what i have read before, it has nothing to do with the doors or seat belt mounting.
It was the shear fact that the longer ones bunched up under the throttle.
I think all of these "differences", other than the difference in length between the '88's and 89-91's, the process was not 100% perfect and you're seeing production inconsistencies.

I own these mats (from the picture). They are not stamped Honda. We figured that they were a dealer contracted out mat. It looks like much newer construction. When I get a chance, I will post pictures compared to my other set of blub mats with the letters on them.
- B.J.F-
Gotin

Postby zcash » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:16 am

Gotin wrote:
Baker wrote:
Unless like I said up above, they were inconsistent with their cutting of the mats

From what i have read before, it has nothing to do with the doors or seat belt mounting.
I think all of these "differences", other than the difference in length between the '88's and 89-91's, the process was not 100% perfect and you're seeing production inconsistencies.

I own these mats (from the picture). They are not stamped Honda. We figured that they were a dealer contracted out mat. It looks like much newer construction. When I get a chance, I will post pictures compared to my other set of blub mats with the letters on them.

That would be good to see a picture up close of everything.

Still haven't gotten samples in yet. Must take a while due to the holiday. Found a lot more information about floor mat manufacturers and found different materials and hopefully better pricing on mats. Still don't have an exact price of anything yet as I have not had anything made yet or talked money yet as I need to negotiate with what I have lol. But I can easily make them and get them going for $200 a set as of right now, but if I get multiples made it may become a little cheaper.

I still need feedback on if there is interest for replica floor mats? They will not be 100% oem as that is near impossible, but it will be close and look similar.
zcash

Re: OEM Floor Mats Reproduction Discussion Thread

Postby suspendedhatch » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:48 pm

When I got my 05 STi, I was started to find that I could get brand new, OEM, STi lettered floor mats for about $60 (and you still can). This is the reason I cite when I say that I have no interest in owning an ITR or for getting any rare JDM parts for any of my Hondas.

I would be very interested in some OEM quality, perfect fit floormats. Just solid black, blue, or gray. Any attempt at matching the logo or passing them off as original would deter me from buying them however.
How to install your own car alarm.
http://www.civic-eg.com/causeforalarm/
suspendedhatch

Postby Robb » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:19 pm

suspendedhatch wrote:When I got my 05 STi, I was started to find that I could get brand new, OEM, STi lettered floor mats for about $60 (and you still can).
This is the reason I cite when I say that I have no interest in owning an ITR or for getting any rare JDM parts for any of my Hondas.

OEM quality of 2005 is not the same as OEM quality of 1988 or 1960.
Everything is cheapass materials now.
There's a reason why enthusiasts pay a premium for NOS rare parts.....supply and demand !
Robb

Postby Baker » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:00 pm

Robb wrote:OEM quality of 2005 is not the same as OEM quality of 1988 or 1960.
Everything is cheapass materials now.

You're argument might hold some water if the "Crx" letters weren't cheaply glued on. Instead, they should have embroidered them on, as they did with the Civic mats. Really, who thought it would be a good idea to do that to mats, where ppl put their feet?
Last edited by Baker on Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby zcash » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:38 pm

Baker wrote:You're argument might hold some water if the "Crx" letters weren't cheaply glued on instead of actually embroidering them on, as they did with the Civic mats. Really, who thought it would be a good idea to do that to mats, where ppl put their feet?

I don't think the logos were embroidered into the carpet (on a crx)......otherwise they wouldn't have came off so easily with sticking through the carpet.
zcash

Postby Baker » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:39 am

zcash wrote:
Baker wrote:You're argument might hold some water if the "Crx" letters weren't cheaply glued on instead of actually embroidering them on, as they did with the Civic mats. Really, who thought it would be a good idea to do that to mats, where ppl put their feet?

I don't think the logos were embroidered into the carpet (on a crx)......otherwise they wouldn't have came off so easily with sticking through the carpet.

I know they were not embroidered, they were glued.
I think my original wording lead to some confusion on your part.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby zcash » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:25 am

Baker wrote:
zcash wrote:

I know they were not embroidered, they were glued.
I think my original wording lead to some confusion on your part.

Yes it did lol. Thanks for correcting that. I think the mats themselves are made cheap as well because in my opinion they arent that thick or have much carpet on them.
zcash

Postby Baker » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:07 pm

zcash wrote:I think the mats themselves are made cheap as well because in my opinion they arent that thick or have much carpet on them.

Ehh, they were made for an inexpensive, fuel efficient, econobox.
I don't think they are any worse than 92+ Civic mats, they are what they are.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby NovaVTEC » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:27 pm

Either perfect copies for a premium or just very good ones with a nice simple OEM CRX logo and leather edge for $50 me thinks.
Flint Black EE8 - All OEM Baby!
NovaVTEC

Postby duckology » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:31 pm

Gotin wrote:
Baker wrote:

88 Si mats do no not have any reverse markings, I seriously doubt they were dealer contracted out, most likely the same company that made them in 88 then private labeled them for Honda sometime in 89 or 90.. They were required to change them after the 88's had issues...

While the lettering is cheaply done, the mats themselves are pretty durable, I mean how many other 26 year old cars have original mats with or without any lettering?
duckology

Postby zcash » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:30 pm

NovaVTEC wrote:Either perfect copies for a premium or just very good ones with a nice simple OEM CRX logo and leather edge for $50 me thinks.

You are saying you would rather have cheap quality mats with a crx logo for $50 rather than New OEM Replica mats for $200-$150?

I will tell you one thing that you can't even purchase custom cut floor mats for $50. They will cost around $100 each. Then sometimes it costs more for additives such as logos, serged edges, stripe put on them, etc. People already make $50 mats that have a logo on them but they aren't even lose to replicas. They are on for sale on ebay right now, but they do not even look close to original mats.

Just like weatherstripping. If someone were to make new aftermarket ones, they aren't oem parts. So therefore the whole car isn't 100% all stock. Just like these floor mats, they are aftermarket, not oems, but replicas of the oems. Same goes for all engine components as well (maybe not all but a lot have been discontinued). There are a lot of aftermarket bumpers, fenders etc. but still isn't an oem part. It is close and looks oem, but never will be the exact oem part. Does this make sense about how these mats are going to be? It will still appeal to everyone who wants to restore these cars, but they will never be the same as the oems.
zcash

Postby zcash » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:49 pm

duckology wrote:88 Si mats do no not have any reverse markings, I seriously doubt they were dealer contracted out, most likely the same company that made them in 88 then private labeled them for Honda sometime in 89 or 90.. They were required to change them after the 88's had issues...

While the lettering is cheaply done, the mats themselves are pretty durable, I mean how many other 26 year old cars have original mats with or without any lettering?

I would agree that they are durable for 23+ years considered they have made it this long. But, they weren't expensive mats when they made them. Just like Baker said, "Ehh, they were made for an inexpensive, fuel efficient, econobox." They weren't luxurious vehicles.
zcash

Postby duckology » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:29 pm

zcash wrote:Just like weatherstripping. If someone were to make new aftermarket ones, they aren't oem parts. So therefore the whole car isn't 100% all stock.

Weatherstripping would be a 100% oem look alike and function alike replacement, not a good comparison for mats that would look similar but different than oem mats. If you want something to use in your car to preserve your oem mats, you cold do like I have and get clear mats to cover them up, then you can see them but not damage them, and the clear mats are available for about $15....
duckology

Postby zcash » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:21 pm

Baker wrote:I don't even remember what the discussion was about now and have lost concentration... :shrug:

:ontopic: I think this originally was about floor mat quality and lead to this. I was just saying I dont think the mats were that great of quality because I quoted you Baker saying the crxs were econoboxes lol. Then it went from there on.....

I got some samples in the mail today. I can't find my mats. Does anyone have any for sale that I can buy for cheap or possibly borrow to get these replicas made (mats have to be the black ones, not blue). If the mats are cheap or donated depending on condition, I may give you a set of replica mats for discount or for free. They have to have all lettering attached.....actually they don't have to have lettering because maybe someone can help me with that part???? Anyone want to help measure stuff lol?

I will need mats however to compare the colors and materials and everything though. I will still order up more samples so I have lots of color samples to chose from to get the exact oem color. Does anyone want to see the samples I have received so far? Or just wait til I get all of them?
zcash

Postby KevinEF7 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:35 am

Its an econobox, especially in stock trim, and fvck my ass red is ugly and most of them seem to be red.
KevinEF7

Postby duckology » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:21 am

KevinEF7 wrote:Its an econobox, especially in stock trim, and fvck my ass red is ugly and most of them seem to be red.

:lol: Now you are just goating me, not biting. No help on the mats as mine are 88...
duckology

Postby zcash » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:18 pm

What I need measured is the stripe. Just how wide it is. I measured ones that I have that arent the black or the blue ones, but I got 1 3/4" wide on the stripe. I also need the letters measured for length and height and width of each letter. The width is how thick the lines are that make up the letter. 88-91 should be the same with those things. I can explain the rest later for measurements once I edit a picture to give an example.

I think I was able to find the right material that is needed. Now I just need to order up a black sample of it. They only have black and charcoal and I got the charcoal but it looks too grayish so I dont think that will work. After I get the color right then its off to getting the mats made and then the lettering made (costs the most). But I need exact measurements on the lettering so it doesnt look weird. I have the crx logo which I will post up later that someone made. After we get measurements of the letters we need to somehow print it out with the exact measueements to see if its correct before we order them up.
zcash

Postby zcash » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:30 pm

Here is the logo in case anyone needs this to modify to check measurements on floor mats. Preferably mats that are almost new should be the ones we should be measuring and not worn out letters and what not. So duckology yours would be great for this and so would Robbs. I haven't really seen anyone elses but anyone who wants to measure that would be great for discussion. Just trying to get the exact measurements.

We could actually almost put this logo in replace of the oems so this could also be for restoring oem lettering as well! Great way to restore oem mats that are missing letters!

zcash

Postby duckology » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:43 pm

zcash wrote:What I need measured is the stripe. Just how wide it is. I measured ones that I have that arent the black or the blue ones, but I got 1 3/4" wide on the stripe. I also need the letters measured for length and height and width of each letter. The width is how thick the lines are that make up the letter. 88-91 should be the same with those things. I can explain the rest later for measurements once I edit a picture to give an example.

I think I was able to find the right material that is needed. Now I just need to order up a black sample of it. They only have black and charcoal and I got the charcoal but it looks too grayish so I dont think that will work. After I get the color right then its off to getting the mats made and then the lettering made (costs the most). But I need exact measurements on the lettering so it doesnt look weird. I have the crx logo which I will post up later that someone made. After we get measurements of the letters we need to somehow print it out with the exact measueements to see if its correct before we order them up.

1 3/4 is accurate on stripe width. The weave is low level loop high density. The main color is dark grey as in the off black interior color designation. The stripe is a lighter grey. The letters are black felt. As far as measuring the letters, the font is not uniform in width, you will have to actually trace them out. Each letter is uniform in overall size they are 2 1/4 inch wide by 1 1/8 inch tall probably should be doing this in mm...

I would skip the letters if someone wants to add them they could easily buy some black felt, glue and figure it out from photos... They are quality mats though, the density of the level loop is tight, they have a corded edge that is rolled and sewn. The material is I'm guessing here, either Nylon,Polyester or Acrylic.... I'd guess Nylon first but perhaps someone else knows more about carpet and can chime in.... You probably should make sure you are going to have some orders at your price point before going through all this trouble....
duckology

Postby duckology » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:45 pm

zcash wrote:Here is the logo in case anyone needs this to modify to check measurements on floor mats. Preferably mats that are almost new should be the ones we should be measuring and not worn out letters and what not. So duckology yours would be great for this and so would Robbs. I haven't really seen anyone elses but anyone who wants to measure that would be great for discussion. Just trying to get the exact measurements.

We could actually almost put this logo in replace of the oems so this could also be for restoring oem lettering as well! Great way to restore oem mats that are missing letters!

Yep that is the same font. Spacing between letters is 1/4 inch although I think these were applied by hand so there is probably some variation..
duckology

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge