(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

OEM Floor Mats Reproduction Discussion Thread

Anything goes, as long as it follows the Community Rules.

Moderator: Moderators

OEM Floor Mats Reproduction Discussion Thread

Postby zcash » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:35 am

How much would everyone be willing to pay for some aftermarket floor mats that are similar to oem if they were to have the white stripe and crx in the correct location?

Would everyone be okay if they werent the exact color of oem, nibbed rubber back (oem style), serging edges (oem style), and thickness?

I do not know the thickness of oem floor mats, I have mine somewhere but cannot find them. Maybe I hid them so I wouldnt use them :rofl:

***Update 12/10: If you would be interested for New OEM CRX Replica Floor Mats please PM me or leave a reply in the Discussion Thread (preferably). So far the price is currently $200 for a set as that is the easiest for me to make and sell at. Leave feedback in the Discussion Thread if you would like. Every opinion helps!
Last edited by zcash on Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
zcash

Re: OEM floor mats anyone

Postby Baker » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:01 pm

zcash wrote:How much would everyone be willing to pay for some aftermarket floor mats that are similar to oem if they were to have the white stripe and crx in the correct location?[
Would everyone be okay if they werent the exact color of oem, nibbed rubber back (oem style), serging edges (oem style), and thickness?

Figuring in what nice examples of originals go for, what nice aftermarket ones go for, Around or less than $100 I think would be reasonable, there are only 2 and not 4 like most cars.
You would probably receive a cease and desist order from Honda if you were to put the "Crx" name on them, once they got wind they were being produced and sold.
You're not the first to think of this, as that very situation came up many years ago with someone producing mats with "Crx"on them.
Last edited by Baker on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby zcash » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:10 pm

$100 would not be so well unless I just got the closest color with poor quality floor mats that arent cut the exact way, but at least they would have a stripe with letters. To me that would be like putting a new crx sticker on my tailights that isnt the same cut size or the color of it being white and not grey.

I personally dont like the aftermarket mats that they are selling just because the logo is not in the right place and they dont have the stripe. So why spend $100 on those when you can get them that look oem, like they are suppose to.

I can get around the production of the mats with the logo on them. Just as people are getting away with making all these mats with personalized logos and stickers on there cars.

Around $200 I could possibly make aftermarket mats that look oem. But I need to know if people would even be interested because if not then I would be cut out of my money for ordering them up. The mats may cost a little more but it all depends on how many people would be interested.

I would need at least 20 or so to sell to make my money back
zcash

Postby Baker » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:43 pm

zcash wrote:$100 would not be so well unless I just got the closest color with poor quality floor mats that arent cut the exact way, but at least they would have a stripe with letters.

I think for there to be interest, they would have to be affordable.
Replica mats in the $200 range seem a bit pricey, when you can still get a nice OEM pair for that price, weather tech mats(which fit nicely, but are more functional and more rugged)
I sold my OEM pair for $150, only real thing wrong with them was the lettering missing on the drive side.
Other than that, they were very nice.
Maybe start a new thread of your own to get more feedback for this.
Many have attempted, but there is a reason why this "idea" hasn't taken off.

zcash wrote:I can get around the production of the mats with the logo on them. Just as people are getting away with making all these mats with personalized logos and stickers on there cars.

How so?
What mats with personalized logos are people making?
The old mats I mentioned weren't OEM replicas nor did it use the same font as Honda, but did have "CRX" on them. Supposedly they received a cease and desist letter from Honda ordering them to stop producing them with the lettering, hence they no longer produce those mats.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby zcash » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:24 pm

Baker wrote:I think for there to be interest, they would have to be affordable.
Replica mats in the $200 range seem a bit pricey, when you can still get a nice OEM pair for that price, weather tech mats(which fit nicely, but are more functional and more rugged)
I sold my OEM pair for $150, only real thing wrong with them was the lettering missing on the drive side.
Other than that, they were very nice.
Maybe start a new thread of your own to get more feedback for this.

The price of $200 is because I will be getting the thickest quality floor mats for weight and comfort and so they have weight for not sliding around (like someone mentioned earlier), otherwise they will be like wally world's thin crappy mats that fall apart easily. The floor mats alone will cost $100+ with serged (OEM) edges and due to the thick quality of them.

This is one dilemma that would be left up to people who wanted OEM look
28oz nylon thick WITH serged edges OR
40oz nylon thick WITHOUT serge edges

Weather tech floor mats, I have asked, they scan the floor and the floor mats are like 3d with sides built up. I was told that applies to both their carpeted ones and rubber ones. That does not look oem style, but if you want some very nice floor mats, then yes they are about $100+. We are talking close to oem look as possible with the stripe. How many have you seen aftermarket that have the stripe? None! These are one of a kind floor mats and while people are spending $100+ on not even close oem, they could spend another $100 for everything in the right location just like they should be. I may be able to make them cheaper, but it will be hard unless I got lots of people that wanted to buy. When you sold your oem ones for $150, they were not in the best condition probably. Would you agree (yes the lettering was missing)? These would look the same as new oem ones, but they would not be the original and this floor mat being made, may just bring the price up of oem ones.

Baker wrote:
zcash wrote:I can get around the production of the mats with the logo on them. Just as people are getting away with making all these mats with personalized logos and stickers on there cars.

How so?
What mats with personalized logos are people making?
The old mats I mentioned weren't OEM replicas nor did it use the same font as Honda, but did have "CRX" on them. Supposedly they received a cease and desist letter from Honda ordering them to stop producing them with the lettering, hence they no longer produce those mats.

Lets say hypothetically, if you were to buy these floor mats, they would come without the logo on them. After you purchase the mats, you can also purchase the lettering to put on yourself. Its no different than you buying 3 different individual letters or buying a sticker that has CRX to put on your taillights. I have found a company that will make the letters but I will need an minimum order of 100 each. So 100 floor mats total if I were to put them on floor mats, shirts, whatever. You do what you want to with them :wink: I would give you instructions on how to instal them and where to put them for oem qualifications.

How does that sound?
zcash

Postby duckology » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:30 pm

zcash wrote:[ We are talking close to oem look as possible with the stripe. How many have you seen aftermarket that have the stripe? None! These are one of a kind floor mats and while people are spending $100+ on not even close oem, they could spend another $100 for everything in the right location just like they should be

The problem with this concept is that people pay ridiculous amounts for actual oem mats not because of how they look, having a stripe, or having the lettering in the correct position, it is the fact that they are genuine mats. Mats are something you get dirty and throw away and buy new ones, that is why the oem ones are so rare. I just can't see people spending more when you can get decent serviceable mats that even say CRX on them for $25... nobody is ever going to say damn those are sweet aftermarket mats.. just won't happen, now if you could make exact indistinguishable replicas that nobody could tell the difference...
duckology

Postby zcash » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:03 pm

duckology wrote:
zcash wrote:We are talking close to oem look as possible with the stripe. How many have you seen aftermarket that have the stripe? None! These are one of a kind floor mats and while people are spending $100+ on not even close oem, they could spend another $100 for everything in the right location just like they should be

The problem with this concept is that people pay ridiculous amounts for actual oem mats not because of how they look, having a stripe, or having the lettering in the correct position, it is the fact that they are genuine mats. Mats are something you get dirty and throw away and buy new ones, that is why the oem ones are so rare. I just can't see people spending more when you can get decent serviceable mats that even say CRX on them for $25... nobody is ever going to say damn those are sweet aftermarket mats.. just won't happen, now if you could make exact indistinguishable replicas that nobody could tell the difference...

Making the exact replicas of the oem mats would be costly. They would have to be customly made to have the backs of the floor mats exact with the metal brace; in my opinion that would be the most cost. Second most cost would be ordering the exact material material of the floor mat; we are talking hundreds of floor mats just to have the same material and color. Floor mat manufacturers have to buy a minimum of the material and color, so when they do that, the customer has to pay for making all of those. Then the customer who wants to sell these exact oem replacement will have to sell for a lot of money because they spent thousands of dollars in custom work for the floor mats. Then you have to spend thousands more for each floor mat just to have the logos. Is it possible to do this? Oh yes, and very easy, but costs!

Added note....to have exact oem replacements, you are also talking about copyright issues for copying their exact same design and everything for the floor mats. Mine would be altered without having the costs of all that nonsense.

I am talking about taking mats that they make on a large scale already that are cut to oem, and then having nibbed backs (oem style) but without the metal bracket, serged edging (oem style) but may no be exact color of oem, and floor mats not being the exact color of oem or same fabric of oem because like I mentioned above. The company would have to specially order it, which means youd be paying for, just pulling a number, 2-3000 floor mats being made. So what I can get made are black floor mats with white stripe, with the right logo, close to oem color as possible, for about $200 versus who knows what the exact oem ones would cost, because I have not gotten estimates on exact fabric and color and custom made backing.

So according to what you said, unless they are not noticeably different, which it will be because of the backing and slight differences in color and possibly not the same weve of fabric. Am I making sense of how it will be different vs oem? They will have the same look of oem (close to color as possible), but you will always know that they aren't original.
zcash

Postby Baker » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:36 pm

duckology wrote:[The problem with this concept is that people pay ridiculous amounts for actual oem mats not because of how they look, having a stripe, or having the lettering in the correct position, it is the fact that they are genuine mats.

Exactly.

zcash wrote:I am talking about taking mats that they make on a large scale already that are cut to oem, and then having nibbed backs (oem style) but without the metal bracket, serged edging (oem style) but may no be exact color of oem, and floor mats not being the exact color of oem or same fabric of oem because like I mentioned above. The company would have to specially order it, which means youd be paying for, just pulling a number, 2-3000 floor mats being made. So what I can get made are black floor mats with white stripe, with the right logo, close to oem color as possible, for about $200 versus who knows what the exact oem ones would cost, because I have not gotten estimates on exact fabric and color and custom made backing.

Well, put your money (or idea) where you mouth is.
Start a group buy thread to gauge interest, see where it goes.
I'm betting it will fall on it's face, as all the rest have.
Will ppl pay $200 for a pair of floor mats that are slightly OEM-like and NOT exact replicas?
I don't see ppl paying $200 for replicas either.

It's a catch 22 I feel.
Paying $200 for OEM style is ridiculous.
Paying $200 for replicas seems a bit out of reach too, those people will likely go out spend the money to find genuine ones.

But prove me wrong....see where this goes.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby duckology » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:37 pm

zcash wrote:Am I making sense of how it will be different vs oem? They will have the same look of oem (close to color as possible), but you will always know that they aren't original.

So the question is would anyone be willing to spend $200 for floor mats that would look similar but noticeably different than oem mats. Considering that you can buy Mugen or CRX labeled mats for $25-89 I think you might be trying to make a market where there isn't one. The market of people who want oem mats is in itself very small, and most that really want the oem would rather plunk down $200-500 for a clean set of originals. Not trying to say your idea is bad just that I don't think the market would bear a price for floor mats above, as noted by others above, around $100 and that is at the high end.......
duckology

Postby fraglerock » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:41 pm

duckology wrote:[The problem with this concept is that people pay ridiculous amounts for actual oem mats not because of how they look, having a stripe, or having the lettering in the correct position, it is the fact that they are genuine mats.

This.

Baker wrote:Will ppl pay $200 for a pair of floor mats that are slightly OEM-like and NOT exact replicas?
I don't see ppl paying $200 for replicas either.

Exactly.
fraglerock

Postby zcash » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:29 pm

I will wait for a while to see where people stand with this. There will always be a market for OEM parts, and they will never be replaceable even if someone were to make exact replicas. The oem mats would become even more valuable as they have now because they are discontinued and no longer for sale.

A great example is someone offering Robb $2,000 for his brand new mats. He doesn't want to part with them because they are very, very rare. People today do not buy oem distributors because they are discontinued, but rather they say they have an all stock crx, but really it isn't because they got their part at advance or its a jdm one. That doesn't make it all stock.

The stickers for example that are being reproduced. They are not oem stickers. They are aftermarket but yall consider them to be okay because they are similar in color and same size. Just as these floor mats. They will be similar in color and size, but you will never be able to make an oem unless the Original Manufacturer made these floor mats again.

Another example....they still make hoods, bumpers, etc. for these crxs. Brand new parts, but they are not from Honda or from the Original Manufacturer, but people consider them to be stock. Another example is our windshields. I had to replace one in my crx, and it cost almost $300. The windshield I replaced wasn't oem, and the one I put in wasn't oem. So therefore, these mats would not be oem, but would rather be replacements that look like oem and have the same purpose, to keep the stock feeling.

So the way to keep the oem style and look to continue for people who want their cars to look stock, then this will be your only option. Otherwise, you will have to have oem floor mats and will never get another option, like replicas of oem.

All I can do is try my best to get prices to be affordable, but its not going to be at $100. That's what they will cost to be custom cut to oem size of the floor mats. If I were to buy multiples, like lets say 10 of them, then maybe I could get each mat for $10 less. Then they will be more affordable. The more bulk you buy, the cheaper each one gets.

Okay, lets say if we get 50 people interested in buying floor mats. Then possibly the price could go down to $150, depending on how much the manufacturer is willing to cut down on price per each mat. Lets say if we get 200 people interested, then it may come down to $100, right in the range where everyone wants it to be. Hasn't everyone noticed when something just comes out they cost so much money and it usually comes out around the holidays. Well, after a few years of being on the market, the price goes down because people have bought a lot of them and they can cut down on prices due to the demand. The company spends a lot of money and puts the item out for sale, then once they break even or make a lot of money, they are able to cut costs because they already have set a reputation with their manufacturer. Or the company just has so much money that they buy millions of the item before people even buy them, and then sell them and come down on price because they made way too many of them expecting the demand to be there, but it wasn't.
zcash

Postby zcash » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:50 pm

I don't disagree with yall on the $100 range, that would be the perfect dollar for replicas, but I just don't have the money where my mouth is lol. If I had the money, I'd be buying tons of these floor mats RIGHT NOW with the letters and making them for everyone and selling them for $100. You just can't beat that price and you would sell hundreds of them across the world because they are affordable. As of right now without buying huge quantities of floor mats, but a significant quantity of the logos, that is how I came up with the price range of $200.

Baker wrote:Maybe start a new thread of your own to get more feedback for this.

Baker- I am trying to see if there is interest before I open a buy thread at $200 or possibly less. Id rather discuss it first before I get people committed to a price, otherwise people will lose interest fast if they do not see a prototype or here a definite "The mats will be priced at $200. Anyone interested?" People wouldn't come back to it and read it after that, even if I were to drop the price, then everyone wouldn't know if I dropped it or not. I'm making sure there is a market before I start spending money. because otherwise I will have 300 floor mats in my garage that I can't sell. Pricing is negotiable but at bulk quantities. As of right now I can make them for $200, without buying too much of bulk quantities.

Okay so how many people are willing to buy these mats then for $200? How about $150? And how about $100?

I personally would pay $200 for them, but yea it would be great to score them for $150. Even better at $100!!!
zcash

Postby tommy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:05 am

Asking people these questions without a working prototype is a waste of everyone's time, imho. Not to mention the fact that everyone here almost always says they're interested right up until the time that they'd have to pay. So I'd say that you're in no man's land right now. I don't see how this project can go any further without you investing your own money a bit.
But personally, I don't see the value in buying mats that look close to oem at oemish prices. That's a combination doomed for failure.
1990 ZcSi
tommy

Postby Baker » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:19 am

zcash wrote:
Baker wrote:Maybe start a new thread of your own to get more feedback for this.

Baker- I am trying to see if there is interest before I open a buy thread at $200 or possibly less. Id rather discuss it first before I get people committed to a price, otherwise people will lose interest fast if they do not see a prototype or here a definite "The mats will be priced at $200. Anyone interested?" People wouldn't come back to it and read it after that, even if I were to drop the price, then everyone wouldn't know if I dropped it or not. I'm making sure there is a market before I start spending money. because otherwise I will have 300 floor mats in my garage that I can't sell.

Again, which is why I said, START your own thread to discuss interest and feedback, instead of using this one.
This thread isn't about making replicas, and the discussion as such will get lost in this shuffle of a thread. :idea:
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby KevinEF7 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:13 am

I think as long as your mats had CRX and the stripe they would sell well if they were under $150. There are alot of Crx owners out there compared to the few voices we have on this forum
KevinEF7

Postby zcash » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:55 pm

tommy wrote:Asking people these questions without a working prototype is a waste of everyone's time, imho. Not to mention the fact that everyone here almost always says they're interested right up until the time that they'd have to pay. So I'd say that you're in no man's land right now. I don't see how this project can go any further without you investing your own money a bit.
But personally, I don't see the value in buying mats that look close to oem at oemish prices. That's a combination doomed for failure.

My only problem without a working prototype is that I will need a couple grand to make the crx logo for the mats because I have to buy lots of them. I thank you for your opinion on having to invest my own money, I will just have to get together the money, just like if I were buying an expensive crx lol. I am getting some samples of floor mats soon and I will try to buy a pair and with the stripe is all I could really show. I would say in the next couple of weeks I could order a pair of the floor mats, will let everyone know how that goes. I think at $150 or less, like you said it would be hard to sell at oem prices, but the mats would sell to almost everyone because they can't either find good mats for a decent price, or they don't want to use their oem in their car, so this is the replicas they can use 24/7 without worrying about getting these dirty. These will be your throw aways, so to say, but oem will be collectors, and not users.

KevinEF7 wrote:I think as long as your mats had CRX and the stripe they would sell well if they were under $150. There are alot of Crx owners out there compared to the few voices we have on this forum

That's good to know. I thank you for your opinion on that. So you don't think the logo would be that all too important? I think the logo would be great to have on them, just as theses $40 pairs have them on them but in the incorrect position.

Baker wrote:Again, which is why I said, START your own thread to discuss interest and feedback, instead of using this one.
This thread isn't about making replicas, and the discussion as such will get lost in this shuffle of a thread. :idea:

Okay, I will take your advice and will do that, where do yall think would be best for this thread then? The Lounge, where we are currently speaking? Stock Garage, Modification Garage, Restoration, or Parts for Sale?
zcash

Postby zcash » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:08 pm

KevinEF7 wrote:The white line moves in position from year to year and even by area. Well documented on crxcommunity

Stop caring so much, there floor mats, there for your dirty feet, go outside and talk to real people

I got this from HT Forums in Spotting Fake Floor Mats. Where is the thread about the floor mats because I would love to see that. The floor mats that I will be making will be custom to cut to the floor mat size, so I need to know what year floor mats look like what. Are the 88's different than the 89-91? Or how does that work out?

I do know the seat belts are like 88 all models and 89 hf are all the same (I think this is correct) and 89 dx and si to 90 and 91 all models. Does this same thing apply to the floor mats?
zcash

Postby KevinEF7 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:34 pm

Heres one thread, there are some more out there takes to long to search on my phone

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=75825&p=779041&hilit=+floor+year#p779041
KevinEF7

Postby Baker » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:02 pm

zcash wrote:
Baker wrote:Again, which is why I said, START your own thread to discuss interest and feedback, instead of using this one.

Okay, I will take your advice and will do that, where do y’all think would be best for this thread then? The Lounge, where we are currently speaking? Stock Garage, Modification Garage, Restoration, or Parts for Sale?

Maybe Restoration forum, definitely not the classifieds since you don't have anything to actually sell yet.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby duckology » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:23 pm

zcash wrote:I do know the seat belts are like 88 all models and 89 hf are all the same (I think this is correct) and 89 dx and si to 90 and 91 all models. Does this same thing apply to the floor mats?

I have a set of 88 oem in my 88 and they are longer, I don't see how they were messing with the pedals perhaps when they get worn and start to turn up, but they are definitely different than the newer ones...

If you are looking for a market that needs to be filled to make some cash, I would focus on the weatherstripping, that thread has 11 thousand views and still no product...I must say that I find the lack of aftermarket weatherstripping rather puzzling. I can get an aftermarket targa weatherstripping seal for my 911 for $125 that only had 1400 produced but I can't find an aftermarket sunroof seal for the 88 Si? Rubber seals age and need to be replaced.....there is some cash there for somebody...
duckology

Postby zcash » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:38 pm

Well I am focusing on one thing at a time. I would like someone to make close to oem hood bras, but they don't. I see them for sale on ebay (aftermarket), but the lettering is not the exact same, and the tops of them are not the same. If someone were to make those, I'd be willing to pay $150 for one, but it has to have the fender pieces too.

Weatherstripping, I saw that on one thread someone was talking to the companies but they don't want to make them. I will try and do that later if I get time. Cause I am in need of new ones for my car. Pisses me off when every time it rains I get drips on me. I had a guy try to fix it, but he just f***d it up more by caulking it. He tried to fix the hatch leak, but was unsuccessful as well.

Well back to mats, I am not only doing this to make a little cash, but I honestly want me some aftermarket mats because I dont want to use my oem ones. But, nobody makes them. So once I get them complete, heck yea!!!
Last edited by zcash on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
zcash

Postby Baker » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:29 pm

zcash wrote:I do know the seat belts are like 88 all models and 89 hf are all the same (I think this is correct) and 89 dx and si to 90 and 91 all models. Does this same thing apply to the floor mats?

No.
Only the '88 mats differ in shape.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6216
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby zcash » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:42 pm

What do you all think about the white stripe and where its located. Which of these would look better for replicas....
I have listed the 88-91 models of floor mats of what I believe to be them. The two different hald and full styles may have been a difference between the Si and DX/HF models or maybe it was SI/DX and then HF for the 89-91. The 88's are at the bottom, and same goes for them with the solid and half cut off. Or maybe the OEM messed up on all of them and just were sloppy with their work?

These 3 do not have half of the white stripe cut off. Its more of a solid all the way up

Or these which have the white stripe cut half off on the top corner

Here is what I believe to be the 88's and 89 hf
This passenger side floor mat was not an 88, just compare it to the others that I've shown. The person probably grabbed an 89-91 floor mat. You can tell because of the white stripe. Unless like I said up above, they were inconsistent with their cutting of the mats
zcash

Postby Baker » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:26 pm

zcash wrote:Here is what I believe to be the 88's and 89 hf
Unless like I said up above, they were inconsistent with their cutting of the mats

From what i have read before, it has nothing to do with the doors or seat belt mounting.
It was the shear fact that the longer ones bunched up under the throttle.
I think all of these "differences", other than the difference in length between the '88's and 89-91's, the process was not 100% perfect and you're seeing production inconsistencies.
Baker
Mr. Search

Postby zcash » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:40 pm

So my question is how should the replicas look? Like Robbs pair, or like the half and half? I am leaving out 88 style, and only making the cut of the 89-91. So the white stripe on drivers floor mat is in question of how we should agree for them to look. I personally like seeing the whole stripe like the ones of Robbs. Do you agree?

Baker wrote:From what i have read before, it has nothing to do with the doors or seat belt mounting.
It was the shear fact that the longer ones bunched up under the throttle.
I think all of these "differences", other than the difference in length between the '88's and 89-91's, the process was not 100% perfect and you're seeing production inconsistencies.

Okay I will agree with you, because I have no room to argue because I don't know....but your reasoning sounds acceptable though. And yes they did either have inconsistencies or they planned for them to look like that
Last edited by zcash on Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
zcash

Next

Return to The Lounge