(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

OEM Floor Mats Reproduction Discussion Thread

Anything goes, as long as it follows the Community Rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: OEM Floor Mats Reproduction Discussion Thread

Postby CRXGuy » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:46 pm

You can definitely count me in for a set. I would be willing to pay $150-$ shipped depending on how the finished product comes out looking of course. :-)b
CRXGuy

Postby zcash » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:23 pm

I did not create this thread, it was separated from where we originally talked. I would have put it in the restoration thread but this is perfectly fine where it is at I suppose. Making these mats is what is taking a very long time, well actually waiting for the mail to deliver takes the longest. I am still waiting on samples to get everything ready. Also I am waiting on some cash flow to get started. So in the meantime, I am waiting peoples replies on whether if there is interest for these mats. Obviously we have reached close to 900 views so there must be some type of interest at least. Just very few have stated their opinions.
zcash

Postby duckology » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:45 pm

zcash wrote:I did not create this thread, it was separated from where we originally talked. I would have put it in the restoration thread but this is perfectly fine where it is at I suppose. Making these mats is what is taking a very long time, well actually waiting for the mail to deliver takes the longest. I am still waiting on samples to get everything ready. Also I am waiting on some cash flow to get started. So in the meantime, I am waiting peoples replies on whether if there is interest for these mats. Obviously we have reached close to 900 views so there must be some type of interest at least. Just very few have stated their opinions.

Zcash just edit your post on page one to have anyone interested in purchasing the oem replica mats to PM you, so then you will have a nice list of interested persons. I fear the high viewcount is related to the off topic posts I am guilty of creating.

Incidentally on topic, I bought a set of oem mats for $30 that are in ratty condition that are from the newer years after 88 and they have that metal bar, I don't believe the 88's do. We still have only one confirmed interested party at the price point near $150.... I'll compare the lettering sizes of the different years and let you know if they are the same.

Edit letters are the same size.
duckology

Postby meandino » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:32 pm

I would like to get a set and another if possible for the Civic Si. Would wanna see pictures of materials and the design being used though.

Can we also get an exact fitted weather mat to protect them?
meandino

Postby Dave_Darling » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:32 pm

duckology wrote:...I bought a set of oem mats for $30 that are in ratty condition that are from the newer years after 88 and they have that metal bar...

The ones from both of my 1990s had the metal bar inside them.

--DD
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Sold on 10/01/11, with over 227,000 miles.

VTEC is Honda's "select a cam profile on the fly" system; VTECH is a crappy phone.
Dave_Darling

Postby zcash » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:03 pm

Duckology - It should say on the backs of the floor mats what year they were. I don't think the 88's had the metal bar either; nor do I think they even had the writing on the backs. I have seen 89s with the metal bar, and I have seen 88's without, just as you stated. Someone who has 88's should verify?

meandino wrote:I would like to get a set and another if possible for the Civic Si. Would wanna see pictures of materials and the design being used though.

Can we also get an exact fitted weather mat to protect them?

I have not seen civic si floor mats. I am focusing on the crx floor mats only because they are harder to make with the stripe and logo. Once I get everything together I will certainly post pictures of samples and finished product. Later down the road I may consider civics but as of right now I cannot.

An exact fitted weather mat? They already make the clear mats to custom fit. No sense in me buying it and reselling it. I think those are $40 or so for custom fit ones
zcash

Postby duckology » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:48 am

zcash wrote:Duckology - It should say on the backs of the floor mats what year they were. I don't think the 88's had the metal bar either; nor do I think they even had the writing on the backs. I have seen 89s with the metal bar, and I have seen 88's without, just as you stated. Someone who has 88's should verify?

I have both an 88 set and a later set, can confirm 88's do not have metal bar nor the markings on the back designating driver/passenger side, lettering is the same size on both, passenger side is identical in size, drivers side as noted in other places is shorter on the top on the years after 88. Side note: the 88's in my car do not interfere with pedals however if they became old and worn and folded over at the top they would, could be why they added the metal bar, to prevent curl over at the top.
duckology

Postby meandino » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:15 am

When do you think they would be done so I can have it in budget? How much you think they're going to be?
meandino

Postby sxysweed » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:08 pm

:ontopic:

The "Is the CRX an Econobox or Sports Car" discussion is over, gentlemen. Keep things on topic or this thread will end up getting locked.
fals-kk-alrot.tumblr
sxysweed

Postby zcash » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:36 am

meandino wrote:When do you think they would be done so I can have it in budget? How much you think they're going to be?

Well first of all I am waiting for about a grand to get things going. I really have no clue how long this will take. Im waiting on samples of different style logo material. If the logo material isnt the same then I may either have to just stick with it or find another manufacturer with different materials. I still have to match up the color of the stripe as best as I can. I think the price for them currently will be at $200 shipped. As this is a timely process, Id say a few months I may get something together, but may take longer. Like I said, waiting for mail to come in, I have to talk with manufacturers and get things set up, get samples, find right color, etc. all takes time.

I will post pictures up of samples of carpet I got tomorrow to let everyone see the progress. Took a couple weeks just to get these lol.
zcash

Postby zcash » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:43 pm

Here are the samples. I got three different loop pile materials, but there seems to be only three that actually have a loop weave lol. The two bottom right and the bottom left one which is closer together and woven in a straighter line.

These two below are the correct material (loop pile). I think I will go with the black since those were my only two options for closest color

zcash

Postby Rex All Day » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:03 pm

If you make a 90-91 black set with the letters looking good and very similar materials, I have cash in had.. both hands, and my feet. hahah looking good for the dev. of these mats so far!
Black 1991 CRX Si - 1.6 SOHC ZC motor.
Thread: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=62162
Rex All Day

Postby CRXGuy » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:07 am

Wow, the bottom right black carpet looks almost exact. :-)b
CRXGuy

Postby Robb » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:32 am

I wanna see how these mats look like, not that Im interested or anything (prefer the real thing)

:D

still looking for a new set of these !!!!!!

Robb

Postby duckology » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:58 am

CRXGuy wrote:Wow, the bottom right black carpet looks almost exact. :-)b

The black does appear close, still not dark grey but close, the grey almost looks like you could use it for the stripe, it is a little darker than oem but with the darker base color the contrast might be pretty darn close.
duckology

Postby zcash » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:25 pm

duckology wrote:The black does appear close, still not dark grey but close, the grey almost looks like you could use it for the stripe, it is a little darker than oem but with the darker base color the contrast might be pretty darn close

The carpet is considered "Black" but the oem color is "Off Black" so yes there will be a difference in color from the oem mats. With the stripe color, I haven't gotten to that point yet. I just got samples to get material down for the main color, wasn't quite looking for stripe color. But that will be soon, as well as the logo material. I ordered samples a long time ago for the logo material....I'm wondering if they even sent them?

Robb wrote:I wanna see how these mats look like, not that Im interested or anything (prefer the real thing)

:D

still looking for a new set of these !!!!!!

Thanks for the support on seeing the outcome. Robb....you should be interested. You have your daily mats that don't look like oem lol

If I am not mistaking but I remember seeing a topic in HT, I think, about someone making those civic floor mats. They no longer have made them for some reason.....and those mats looked like exact replicas (maybe not as thick but still). It was dstuning.com that was making them, but I'm sure like everyone, Honda told them to stop making them with the logo on them. The thing about those floor mats is that they have embroidered logos on them, which makes it hard to have them made like that and sell them.

I will keep everyone updated when I get new stuff in. Just playing the waiting game for now.
zcash

Postby duckology » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:30 pm

zcash wrote:The carpet is considered "Black" but the oem color is "Off Black" so yes there will be a difference in color from the oem mats. With the stripe color, I haven't gotten to that point yet.

This photo shows the contrast between the black lettering, the stripe and the main body.

duckology

Postby Nar » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:53 pm

I'd pay whatever as long as its inline with the quality i know i'm getting. :) I would also like to say that on top of the materials shown i would be happy with one that is quality and also easy enough to vacuum, i've cleaned some friends' cars where the mat would just fight you to hang on to dirt and pine needles. :D Thanks for looking into it and doing research man. :)
My CRX Si
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=43328
"And the CRX still wins on design; aerodynamic block sander beats lumpy egg every time."
Nar

Postby zcash » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:55 pm

Can someone show me a comparison of the logo on floor mats to felt material. I just do not think that the logo material would be felt, but I may be wrong. I still do not have floor mats to compare myself, but I should be getting some soon. I will post pictures later of the material that I have. It wouldn't be bad for the logo, but it will be noticeably different than the original material. So I wouldn't want to use it and I am looking for alternative materials.
zcash

Postby AlexCRX » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:15 pm

Thats interesting might be interested but i want to see them
CDM 91 Si
CDM 91 Si Special Edition mint!
USDM 91 HF
AlexCRX

Postby zcash » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:30 pm

Here is the material that I have acquired. These pictures are kind of bad but you get the idea. The logos can have a stitched border or have one without. These are a fine thread.

zcash

Postby KevinEF7 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:06 am

Doesnt look like carpet :?:
KevinEF7

Postby Dave_Darling » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:53 am

The OEM mats have letters made out of (basically) more carpet material. It's thinner, with less nap, but I'm pretty sure I remember that it was still carpet type stuff.

--DD
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Sold on 10/01/11, with over 227,000 miles.

VTEC is Honda's "select a cam profile on the fly" system; VTECH is a crappy phone.
Dave_Darling

Postby zcash » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:43 am

Okay thank you both for the input. I will try and find a way to have carpeted logos made. Thanks a bunch for the help!
zcash

Postby CRXGuy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:32 am

Any updates?
CRXGuy

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge