Honda CRX Forum banner

Why bother with USDM CRXs anymore?

13K views 59 replies 24 participants last post by  Baker 
#1 ·
What's the point when you can get a SiR / VT for similar money. When I see a high-mileage CRX with rust for $5000+ it's time to step back from the drugs and think about what you're selling.

Time to search in Canada where our money is doing rather well, or go search in the UK / Europe.

#12 ·
Was definitely a deciding factor when I got my RHD, I dont even think there was any rust free canadian Crx's for sale within the province, and most sellers know they demand a good price, I got my rhd nearly rust free for half what Id pay locally.

I also love that the jdm Si's dont come with the prone to leaking sunroof but have single bulb headlights, Dohc zc factory installed, and the rear discs on an 89 model wasnt shabby either, awesome seats, unique floor mats, rear seat, bass tube rear speakers

I personally am not sick of being rhd after the 3 years Ive had it, with 10% tint not to many random people stare at you, the car is so small the argument that you cant see making left turns at intersections is basically void, Ive never once had an issue. My friends Toyota aristo though, much wider car, definitely an issue. He actually installed a small forward facing camera on his passenger side mirror that he can watch on his dvd screen with the flick of a switch

#15 ·
budget_crx said:
Similar money for a north american market CRX? I must not be looking in the right spots, JDM cars go for $9k+ on average these days, I'm not seeing any US cars anywhere close to this.
Bought my rhd si for 3k canadian, which I believe is less than 2k USD. Not everybody gets there asking price, deals can be had if your patient and know whos motivated to sell

#17 ·
One good reason:

Your car won't get seized and crushed. Sure, the CRXes are falling under the 25-year exemption now, but the EPA may decide next year to issue a "clarification" of their rules stating that the exemption only applies to cars that are in every way identical to the US-market cars. Or only to cars made on Tuesday. Or some other such criteria.

And if that happens, welcome to crusher town!!

Before you say "Oh they can't do that", take a look at the fuss about their proposed "clarification" prohibiting turning street-licensed vehicles into track-only vehicles... (Or rather, mandating that all of the certified emissions equipment remain in use by the vehicle, even if it will never see the street again.)

Since they are merely "clarifying" the "existing rules", they can even claim not to be changing the rules so that you can't be "grandfathered" out of obeying them...

Yeah, it's a real slimy trick. And it's been done before!

--DD

#18 ·
Dave_Darling said:
Before you say "Oh they can't do that", take a look at the fuss about their proposed "clarification" prohibiting turning street-licensed vehicles into track-only vehicles... (Or rather, mandating that all of the certified emissions equipment remain in use by the vehicle, even if it will never see the street again.)
http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/02/no- ... -race-car/

#24 ·
budget_crx said:
The EPA will not seize and crush vehicles that they have already given the OK on. At worse they might stop giving approval to cars coming in, which is still incredibly unlikely.
Read the proposed rule changes again...

--DD

#25 ·
Robb said:
crxgator said:
Time to search in Canada where our money is doing rather well, or go search in the UK / Europe.
No CRX's left up here !
I meant European and Japanese imports...
Dave_Darling said:
One good reason:

Your car won't get seized and crushed. Sure, the CRXes are falling under the 25-year exemption now, but the EPA may decide next year to issue a "clarification" of their rules stating that the exemption only applies to cars that are in every way identical to the US-market cars. Or only to cars made on Tuesday. Or some other such criteria.

Since they are merely "clarifying" the "existing rules", they can even claim not to be changing the rules so that you can't be "grandfathered" out of obeying them...

--DD
What are you talking about? The article states that it's for MY '18 and newer to not have its emissions tampered with for becoming a race car.

Not sure where you're getting they will crush the cars from? It would be grandfathered in and I'm pretty sure Bill Gates and others have more at stake with their 959s as opposed to a few cleaner CRXs. :rofl:

#26 ·
crxgator said:
Dave_Darling said:
One good reason:

--DD
What are you talking about? The article states that it's for MY '18 and newer to not have its emissions tampered with for becoming a race car.

Not sure where you're getting they will crush the cars from? It would be grandfathered in and I'm pretty sure Bill Gates and others have more at stake with their 959s as opposed to a few cleaner CRXs. :rofl:
Yep at least you read it. :)b

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.