(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

stock oem muffler availability

Anything goes, as long as it follows the Community Rules.

Moderator: Moderators

stock oem muffler availability

Postby user1.0 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:56 am

Hi everyone, greetings from the north, or Canada as you like to call it. I am hoping some of you may be able to help me find out if honda dealers states side still have availability on the stock usdm stainless steel crx muffler.

Why you ask? Because honda canada is taking me for a ride and I am trying my hardest to show them how inadequate they are. I bought a lifetime warranty muffler from them back in 2004. This first muffler was replaced in 2009 with another honda part on warranty for no cost. This second muffler has now died and the best honda canada has done for me this time around is an aftermarket muffler which is beyond sub par on sound, fitment and look. They have worked hard to convince me that they can not find the original part anywhere in the world, that their vintages department has looked far and wide, but unfortunately all they could come up with is a muffler which had to be cut and welded to get it to fit on my car.

Since my paper work from 2004 says lifetime warranty part installed and i am still alive, I intend to leave no stone unturned and make as many people at honda canada as uncomfortable as possible until I find someone there who still cares about cars and is able to help me.

So if any of you have this information on hand or just know someone that has, please let me know and thank you in advance!

PS I realize that I can be calling honda dealers myself, which I will be doing right after I finish this post, but as always my first stop for anything crx is here.
user1.0

Re: stock oem muffler availability

Postby tommy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:22 am

Year and model? :?:

Majestic isn't showing any mufflers available for the 1990 Si, for example.

If Honda Canuck cannot find a muffler (I'd say that they're probably right), all they really need to do is get you a suitable replacement. A replacement for a fairly [crummy] OEM muffler is a [crummy] aftermarket one. They don't need to get one that you like, per se. I would, obviously, try to get the best aftermarket one out of them that I could, or failing that, offer to split the difference so I could get an aftermarket one I liked that would work.

If you're still stuck on OEM, you're right - the only option you're probably left with is calling individual dealerships up. I think that's a waste of time, but you seem to value the OEM muffler more than I. Have fun with that. :D
1990 ZcSi
tommy

Postby user1.0 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:43 am

Hello again Tommy,

Car is 91 si. The two honda stamped, stainless steel mufflers before this one lasted 5 and 7 years. This muffler will be done in 2 years tops and only because I park indoors and store the car in the winters. Not going to talk about how it looks and sounds. I don't know what is crummy about a muffler that lasts 7 years and fits the car they way it was meant to.

What is majestic?

I do get your point don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are plenty of good options out there for an oem fitting muffler, but I don't know any and that is not my point. Going to a dealer, paying the price for lifetime warranty and getting garbage is my point. I could've gone to any little crappy exhaust shop to get a crappy aftermarket part installed on my car. Its hard to explain without seeing and hearing the car so I get the skepticism. If you know of a good, oem fitting brand of muffler out there, please let me know so I can look it up.

Thanks for your reply,
Nik
user1.0

Postby tommy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:17 am

Majestic is a dealership in Rhode Island that has a big internet presence as hondaautomotiveparts.com; they're my go-to for cheaper than local dealer prices and decent customer service; others use hondapartsnow or other sites.

Getting a true OEM replacement, I have no idea, unfortunately. HKS has a very nice two-tip exhaust that looks great, but is louder, has a larger diameter, and I'm not sure is even made anymore. I followed AZCRXSI's lead and got an aftermarket exhaust (I have a Tanabe) and had a two-tip end (Magnaflow) welded on to approach OEM looks. Once again, louder and larger.

The problem on having a warranty on a unicorn is getting a replacement unicorn when that fails. I understand your position, but Honda is in a tough spot too. Most likely you'll have to make the best lemonade you can out of those lemons; that's why I think the pay the add'l for a good aftermarket exhaust option makes the most sense. But I get it if you want a direct OEM replacement.
1990 ZcSi
tommy

Postby Ti Rider » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:05 pm

Just FYI the OEM exhaust systems were galvanized steel with stainless steel dual tips on the Si/SiR. There were no factory stainless steel exhaust systems. Like you've found out exhaust systems have been added to the ever lengthening "discontinued item" list. There's a slim chance you might find one hidden away in a warehouse but that chance diminishes by the day.

Honda bought what it figured to be an inventory of parts for the estimated "serviceable life" of the CRX from it's suppliers. After roughly 25 years those supplies are either gone completely or dwindling. Most body and interior parts are long gone. Now the replaceable items are going - exhausts, plug wires, rotors, etc. And sadly while a lot of this stuff is available aftermarket the quality tends to be disappointing (as you've experienced) or extremely expensive.

I wish Honda would take a page from Mercedes and keep buying a small supply of "legacy parts" for it's more popular/enthusiast models. Keep a small supply of parts on hand for the Civic Si, CRX, S2000, Del Sol, etc. Instead Honda does something more infuriating - it vigorously protects it's copyrighted names for discontinued models. Try to make a set of reproduction floormats with "CRX" letters on them in the OEM style. Be prepared for a swift letter from Honda's legal team demanding you "cease and desist". So not only do they no longer support the CRX they are effectively blocking anyone from producing reproduction parts.

As for your exhaust situation - see if you can leverage your "lifetime warranty" into them covering part of the cost of an HKS Sport Exhaust. While the CRX version of this exhaust is no longer available the Civic version (LES-H05) fits perfectly with a little cutting and welding of it's B pipe. I have one, it's got great sound, just a little deeper than stock, not fart canny at all.
'89 Blade Silver CRX Si
Member #17
Ti Rider

Postby frankzcrx » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:49 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HKS-Sport-Exhau ... 2036842886

http://www.andysautosport.com/performan ... a_crx.html

Since you are in Canada - I would opt for a stainless steel cat back exhaust.
88' Y49 CRX Si
frankzcrx

Postby AZCRXSI » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:14 pm

RockAuto has the Walker dual tipped muffler that is close to OEM.

I have no idea on fitment, quality and sound though...
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Bought on 10/01/11, with 228,116 miles.
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

Liquid Yellow 2005 MINI Cooper S (Daily Driver)
AZCRXSI

Postby user1.0 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:25 am

Thanks for all the input everyone. The HKS exhaust looks really nice. When you say cutting and welding the B pipe, do you mean the mid resonator pipe? I know the civic is longer so the exhaust will be longer in the middle.

The Walker muffler mentioned is what is on the car now and it is crap. It does not fit properly, tail pipes are different length and so close together that they touch in places, and it sounds cheap.
user1.0

Postby AudioQuest » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:29 pm

Bosal.
91 Rio Red Si
Original owner since: July 29, 1991
http://www.hondacrxforum.net/
AudioQuest

Postby user1.0 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:44 pm

Bosal seems to be readily available. Just as I was ready to dish out for HKS, I now have some doubts whether I should just buy this and install it instead of modding the LES-H05.

Can anyone comment on this brand?
user1.0

Postby jpciii » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:20 am

Bosal and Walker are not bad quality... typical aftermarket OEM. Your crooked tail pipe issue is more likely shipping damage than poor quality control. I bought a Bosal Si muffler and Walker Si midpipe. They shipped to me without any packaging - just shipping labels taped on. The midpipe arrived OK, but the muffler arrived a little banged up. It wasn't terrible, so I painted it black to help hide the problems. 6 years and 30k miles later, the muffler canister is rusting out but the rest of the exhaust seems to be in great shape still.
jpciii

Postby user1.0 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:45 am

The crooked, touching tailpipes is deff. not a shipping issue. It is documented all over the web. Also, I made them get another muffler when I saw what they were about to put on the car and the other one that came in was exactly the same. I watched them received the second muffler in case you say they just told me they got another one. All of them are like that. Thanks for your reply!
user1.0

Postby thaeli » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:20 pm

Walker definitely has some quality control issues. I have the DX version of the Walker CRX exhaust and it's actually great, but the first muffler was internally defective and so restricted that the car barely ran with it on. Got a replacement and so far it's been perfect fit/finish/functionality.. but again that's the DX, single tailpipe version.

Is there really much difference between the SI and DX exhausts, other than the dual tip appearance?
thaeli

Postby MrWhoopee » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:21 am

I've had good luck getting nla parts from these people:
http://jp-carparts.com/

It seems that parts that are not available in North America may still be found in Japan.
Prices and shipping were not too crazy.
MrWhoopee

Return to The Lounge