(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Finally back in the seat! 89 SI D16z6

Anything goes, as long as it follows the Community Rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Finally back in the seat! 89 SI D16z6

Postby FatherDeerhands » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:47 pm

Got the opportunity to get another CRX and jumped on it. Especially since my last one got stolen and stripped.

i got this one from a 17 year old who owned it for about 3 months until the headgasket blew, he said it had always been in limp mode when he got it.

#EDIT# Forgot to add that the body has 150xxx miles on it and no rust, and that the motor has somewhere around 25k to 50k

Had to to the head gasket on her, was blown. Probably because 4 of the head bolts were able to be loosened by hand... had it resurfaced. The dizzy was fried and i had to redo all of the grounds. Especially the t-stat ground, that was nasty from head gasket milkshake and it actually fixed the limp mode caused by an injector code! :bounce:

but after all that and about 500 dollars total on top of the 500 i spent for it, she runs like a champ (should probably redo the timing but i need to get a new timing light... and she needs an alignment pretty badly

Anyway here's the list of things I've found done to it over the years (all pretty much good)
ARP head bolts and studs
Full stainless exhaust, looks pretty new too, but it needs new donuts
Supposedly forged pistons and rods (doubtful at best)
Almost proper d16z6 swap, needs the correct motor mounts (help would be appreciated, some say use the crx ones, others say use the z6 ones...)
p06 vtec chipped ecu (looks pristine inside and vtec cracks hard and low, has an SF Racing sticker on it)
H&R adjustable coilovers all the way around, rides super nice for being pretty low
rolled fenders (actually done pretty good, cant find any faults in them)
Stickers everywhere (only keeping a few to pay tribute to where its been in its life)
Surface rusted hood (not sure if to clear coat or paint it black?)
Battery relocated to behind the passenger seat (also done correctly)
Skunk 2 camber kits all the way around (not a fan of camber but keeping them)
Toggle Switch for fan
Sunroof works good and there is no leaks inside the car! (still keeping my eye on the hatch)
Brand new CV axles (found the receipt)

That pretty much covers that, now all she really needs is a full servicing (which ill get done at work) an alignment, to be timed again (once i get a timing light) and to have the proper mounts put in.

Thanks for looking! leave some input for what you think i should do, or what you like to be seen done!

This is when i pulled the head.

ill update as i do stuff and post more photos
FatherDeerhands

Re: Finally back in the seat! 89 SI D16z6

Postby Myriad » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:07 pm

I'd look to get that fart can out of there. Other than that, that's pretty clean and completed!
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Re: Finally back in the seat! 89 SI D16z6

Postby FatherDeerhands » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:27 pm

Yeah I'm not a fan of the fart can, but as long as the baffle is in it, it actually sounds decent! So I can live with it for now.
FatherDeerhands

Return to The Lounge