(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

6 Years Later, I'm Getting My Y49 Back

Anything goes, as long as it follows the Community Rules.

Moderator: Moderators

6 Years Later, I'm Getting My Y49 Back

Postby t.k » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:51 pm

Hi CRXCommunity! My names Kris, but I go by TK because there's already too many (K)Chris' in the car community :)

Before I was even legal age to drive I knew that I wanted a CRX to be my first vehicle, I wouldn't entertain anything else but an 88-91 CRX, and I ended up getting a 91 Si as my first car in 2005. It didn't take long for my mom to see how much I loved them and how fun they are to own. Not even 8 months after I got my 91 Si, she found and bought a 90 Y49 Si, couple months after that we bought another 90 Si.

Excuse the grainy photos, they're old. :mrgreen:

We actually had 4 CRX's at that point, but one was a busted up DX we bought for parts that was eventually sold for next to nothing.

The blue was my first car and I loved it, but as my teen self tried different mods, experimented with body kits and got newer vehicles, it ended up sitting in my side yard until a friend in dire need of a vehicle bought it for $500. As an adult I spent two years trying to find the car again, but the last lead died and I feel it's lost forever.

The white one, which was the cleanest and nicest CRX I ever owned, was hit while I was parked downtown and it was totalled :( I'm honestly still salty about that because it was near perfect.

That brings us to the Y49, which at that point was primarily driven by my mom, as I had my RSX.

Well, on my birthday in 2009 I got in a parking lot fender bender that wrecked the front, but of course did next to nothing to the Accord that I hit.

So the car sat in my side yard under a tarp while I decided what I wanted to do with it.

2 weeks later my friend got T boned in his 01 ITR. After numerous weeks of thinking, re thinking, and my friend really wanting the CRX, I sold him the Y49.

He swapped most things from the ITR over to the CRX and he's owned it for the past 6 years. He mentioned potentially selling it a couple years ago, but he never did. A couple months ago, due to his expanding family, he told me that the CRX had to go as they needed the space, and that he was ready to put it on CL. I had always wanted another CRX, I even owned an EF wagon for awhile(which was awesome, BTW) but I could never find a decent one, or if I did, I wasn't in the position to buy another vehicle. I also didn't want the car to go to someone who wasn't going to appreciate the work he's already done.

After numerous talks, and taking the CRX for a day to drive around and remember what it's like, I'll be buying the Y49 back from my buddy in about 6 weeks.

I feel like this is my chance to build the dream CRX I always wanted to in my teenage years. And I plan on doing just that. Mechanically the Y49 is solid, it just needs some TLC and little things my buddy didn't have time to do, but bought the parts for, haha.

I've already purchased a complete EDM rear seat, and a set of EDM taillights with the integrated foglight. Now i'm just trying to source a complete SiR front end, but that's proving difficult.

I hope this wasn't too long of an introduction. I'm beyond excited to have a CRX again, and the fact that it's my old Y49 just makes it that much more exciting for me!
'90 Y49 ED9 Si - Build Thread
'07 NHBP UA7 Type S - Pic
'02 ABP DC5 Type S - Pic
'04 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 - Pic
t.k

Re: 6 Years Later, I'm Getting My Y49 Back

Postby Myriad » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:53 am

:welcome:

As luck would have it, there's a SiR front end for sale in the Parts - For Sale subforum.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Postby t.k » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:27 am

Myriad wrote::welcome:
As luck would have it, there's a SiR front end for sale in the Parts - For Sale subforum.

Thanks!

Yea i've already been in contact with NZondlo, i'm hoping to find a complete front end. I need to check with Steve at HMO, but if I can't find one in the next couple of weeks, i'll more than likely pick up the one for sale here and source the headlights/hood elsewhere.
'02 ABP DC5 Type S - Pic
t.k

Postby Myriad » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:32 am

:eatfly: There's also a SiR hood on here too. I'm pretty sure there's some JDM headlights somewhere as well.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Postby t.k » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:33 am

Myriad wrote::eatfly: There's also a SiR hood on here too. I'm pretty sure there's some JDM headlights somewhere as well.

Well then! Off to the for sale section I go!
'02 ABP DC5 Type S - Pic
t.k

Postby t.k » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:09 pm

Finally got my parts in from Germany!

Rear seat looks to be in great condition and came with all hardware, only thing missing is the shorter cargo cover. Although i'll still be getting it reupholstered, one thing I did notice is there's about 8 10mm bolt ends coming out of the back of the upper seat, I haven't taken it apart to see what they're there for, maybe someone here knows?

Also got my EDM taillights, with the fog switch! As well as a JDM SiR replica taillight decal.

I plan on polishing the lights up, it doesn't look like i'll need to wet sand them. But the insides of the lenses have some dirt/debris caked in them. I was wonder what the best process to clean them would be without baking? I was just gonna get some soapy water and some larger pipe cleaners to get in there and clean them up, but I just wanna make sure I don't cause any unnecessary issues in that process.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
'02 ABP DC5 Type S - Pic
t.k

Postby ModifiedEF » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:18 pm

I might have VTI- (glass headlight / h4 blub) front end for sale if you want dude.

Bumper, fenders, headlights, corner lights, indicators i cannot post bonnet- its tooooo big.
Make me an offer and we can arrange shipment for you.

About tail lights- i read loads how to disable it but its a night mare best way just soapy water inside, shake it.

If u want SIR- headlights (plastic and h4h bulb ) i have already one set on stock.
ModifiedEF

Postby AZCRXSI » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:54 pm

Very cool story, thanks for sharing.

Y49 is the way to go... hehe
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Bought on 10/01/11, with 228,116 miles.
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

Liquid Yellow 2005 MINI Cooper S (Daily Driver)
AZCRXSI

Postby crocrx » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:27 pm

Nice, welcome!
crocrx

Postby t.k » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:24 am

ModifiedEF wrote:I might have VTI- (glass headlight / h4 blub) front end for sale if you want dude.
Bumper, fenders, headlights, corner lights, indicators i cannot post bonnet- its tooooo big.
Make me an offer and we can arrange shipment for you.
About tail lights- i read loads how to disable it but its a night mare best way just soapy water inside, shake it.
If u want SIR- headlights (plastic and h4h bulb ) i have already one set on stock.

Thanks for the info! I'm currently in the works to get an entire SiR front end from a member here, but if that doesn't work out i'll hit you up!

AZCRXSI wrote:Very cool story, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for replying!

And Y49 is definitely the way to go! F that curse! :twisted:

crocrx wrote:Nice, welcome!

Thanks!
'02 ABP DC5 Type S - Pic
t.k

Postby AZCRXSI » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:59 pm

t.k wrote:
AZCRXSI wrote:Very cool story, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for replying!

And Y49 is definitely the way to go! F that curse! :twisted:

Yeah, I am not so sure I believe in that sort of thing. I've owned a Y49 from '96-'05 and now the current chassis from '11 to current.
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Bought on 10/01/11, with 228,116 miles.
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

Liquid Yellow 2005 MINI Cooper S (Daily Driver)
AZCRXSI

Return to The Lounge