(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Anything goes, as long as it follows the Community Rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Trimman » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:59 pm

hello. I wanted to ask a few questions. I plan on buying a 2nd gen in the next few months. what are the problem areas of car. I can spot rust, suspension issues , motor and trans problems. what would everyone suggest for me in looking for problem areas? this will not be my first crx. I have had a 90 dx and 91 si. I sold the si over 14 years ago. I have owned a few del sols and ex 2 door since my last crx. just looking for some feedback thanks
Trimman

Re: new member

Postby Dave_Darling » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:48 pm

Welcome to the Community!

Sounds like you've got most of the problem areas spotted. Most of the rest is just stuff that happens over the course of 25+ years, stuff like suspension bushings wearing out, seals not sealing so well, plugged drain holes, and so on. Brakes may need going through (especially if it's been a while) and cars that sit for too long can develop fuel system problems, but that's pretty standard for older cars.

Given good maintenance, a CRX should run for an appreciable fraction of ever.

--DD
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Sold on 10/01/11, with over 227,000 miles.

VTEC is Honda's "select a cam profile on the fly" system; VTECH is a crappy phone.
Dave_Darling

Postby Trimman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:53 pm

thanks for the response. my del sol has taught me about seal issues. I also am a auto trimmer. so having seat covers that are hog ring attached, is nice over glue down del sol covers.
Trimman

Postby Myriad » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:37 am

:welcome: I think the only seals to watch out for are any moon-roofs. If the model you're looking at doesn't have one, no real need to worry. But do take care about any climate controls you see; if there isn't a metal plate over the face, get one.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Postby Trimman » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:06 pm

looking for water leaks is actually part of my job. we have to water check cars for leaks. the tip about the climate control is helpful. I,m really looking forward to getting out of my Del sol. that design was flawed. seals that were designed crappy and the targa rattles .
Trimman

Return to The Lounge