(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

2015 Honda Fit/S2K Future Classis?

Anything goes, as long as it follows the Community Rules.

Moderator: Moderators

2015 Honda Fit/S2K Future Classis?

Postby JDMurbanoutlaw » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:47 am

so i guess this is it. I truly love the Honda Fit and as far as modern Honda's go, I think the Fit Sport is arguably the last Honda to hang on to its original formula... small chassis, light weight, peppy engine, great gas mileage, comfortable, hatch-like and i love the design. Best part of the article...

"It's also the first car to be released with Honda's new design language, which they call "Exciting H." The result is a Fit that's sleeker, bolder and more aggressive-looking than the current egglike Fit. Call me crazy, but I rather like the way it looks. It's definitely an improvement in that department, and it echoes the Focus and Fiesta a bit, which isn't a bad thing.P

It's not just for the Whole Foods set, either. Motor Trend has some deets on the sportier RS version, which has a 1.5-liter gas engine mated to a six-speed manual they say is S2000-esque."

thats right guys, S2000-esque.... I wish Honda would offer a larger engine for the Fit and I hope the RS is not just wheels and a body kit. Honda has a REALLY good opportunity here to finally compete with the new subcompacts like Ford Fiesta and Chevy Sonic (both of which have "sport" models) The fit is an awesome platform that will stem many new smaller sedan/suv like models for Honda. This is good news to me because automakers are finally understanding that small cars are fun!

What do you guys think? I have seen many tastefully modified Honda Fits, and I think they are often overlooked. Would any of you consider a Fit?

http://jalopnik.com/2015-honda-fit-this-is-it-836631835
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, I came across this article on the S2K being a future classic. it was an interesting read... I think that goes without saying cause a low mileage, factory stock model already fetches a decent price tag... but decide for yourself. I (like many) have always wanted an S2K and hope to own one some day.

http://jalopnik.com/why-the-honda-s2000-is-a-future-classic-840861367
If anyone is looking for a new Honda in the CT/MA area, please feel free to send me a message and I will send you a quote for whatever new 2013 Honda model you are looking at.
JDMurbanoutlaw

Re: 2015 Honda Fit/S2K Future Classis?

Postby 4drSpankR » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:04 am

I've always liked the Fit Sport and wouldn't mind owning one some day (same as an S2000), not really all about that 2015 design though, it kinda looks more like a minivan to me.. It's definitely an interesting read though.
1991 HF - previously '90 B18A1 now '97 B18C1
1989 Si - running parts car/gone
4drSpankR

Postby JDMurbanoutlaw » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:37 am

I agree the Fit has always been a sort of mini-mini van... but I do drive them frequently at the dealership and they really are fun to drive, and the Sport-manual is a blast. I would not hesitate to buy one for several reasons, mainly the re sale on them is incredible and make it a smart financial option as well.

I hate that as Honda's get newer... they tend to get rounder. I like the box-ey look lol. I hope the production version is more similar to the current body style because I feel like the current Fit Sport with its nice little aero kit is very sporty and looks/feels/drives better than any of the competition. I mean really would you ever consider a Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio, Toyota Yaris... over a Honda Fit? Even if I wasnt a Honda enthusiast, its a no brainer.

Despite styling, I hope the new RS or whatever they call it, will employ a (decently) high revving, vtec engine that is more friendly to our ears than the earth. time will tell. This is Honda's chance to show people that they are getting back to business.
If anyone is looking for a new Honda in the CT/MA area, please feel free to send me a message and I will send you a quote for whatever new 2013 Honda model you are looking at.
JDMurbanoutlaw

Postby RamaCrx » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:40 am

I had a new Fit/Jazz Sport when living in Australia 2 years ago. IMO it was top heavy, got only fair gas mileage in the city, and was a pretty boring drive with not much pep. Lowered perhaps would be better, but then the issues of a car like that for a DD. It needed another 20 hp. It was recalled for the zero motion assembly, otherwise had no issues with it. The shifter was a bit mushy too. I would not get it again. Too many other options now from non-Honda manufacturers.
RamaCrx

Postby JDMurbanoutlaw » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:22 pm

RamaCrx wrote:I had a new Fit/Jazz Sport when living in Australia 2 years ago. IMO it was top heavy, got only fair gas mileage in the city, and was a pretty boring drive with not much pep. Lowered perhaps would be better, but then the issues of a car like that for a DD. It needed another 20 hp.

I will admit that it is strange that a Civic gets better gas mileage.

i have personally never driven any of the foreign Fit/Jazz models but the North American Fit is only powered by a 1.5L that makes 117 hp and 106 tq with a 2300 lb curb weight. I can't say for certain but it is very possible that the Aussie Jazz you drove was a 1.3L which only produced 84 hp and 88 lbs ft tq. Maybe i am wrong but its possible.

I also believe that the Jazz that is offered in Australia, (although the same platform) has some other mechanical differences as well including suspension components. If you think about it... a North American Honda Fit Sport has ALMOST identical specs to an EK (96-00) civic with a D16Y8.

RamaCrx wrote: I would not get it again. Too many other options now from non-Honda manufacturers.

I will agree there are several new options on the market now... if we are talking about the subcompact B-segment division of cars (which the Fit classifies as)... I would say those other options as hardly formidable with the exception of MAYBE the Chevy Sonic or the Ford Fiesta ST, &although I have not personally driven one and still find it very hard to believe... the Mazda2 has also been very well received by the majority of reviewers and consumers.

Hyundai Accent (beige, boring)...
Kia Rio (cheap interior, lot of body roll)...
Nissan Versa (way too many to list/rubber band man)...
Scion xD (hamsters)...
Toyota Yaris (used to be a joke, actually getting better mechanically but still just couldnt)

also... notice how you can find 4 out 5 of these cars at your local rental car center... there is a reason you don't find Honda's at your AVERAGE Avis or Enterprise. I am not saying these are terrible cars by any means, I am sure they will tough it out getting u to work and back for many years (some longer than others)- but we are crxcommunity and not consumer reports...
JDMurbanoutlaw

Postby RamaCrx » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:38 pm

Mine had the 1.5 liter engine with whatever they call the variable vtec, I don't recall. We got it because of the hatchback which proved to be be of little utility. Gas mileage was poor, as I recall after the math was in the upper 20's mpg in the city. The suspension I am not sure about if there were differences, but Australia is an urban country primarily with cars that are for city use, not the glamorized outback. (most everyone lives on the coasts in big cities) Look at the 'Ute's' they have, massive power, but hardly utility vehicles. (most that I saw were either supercharged or turbo'd V8's.
I know this would sound like heresy here, but I would prefer a Ford Focus hatch over the Fit, or even the Fiesta ST that my wife has and loves. Very had to get a car in the USA now without automatic though. Again it's been a couple of years, but I could find little aftermarket stuff for it past some lowering springs and shocks. Seats were comfortable. You know when I looked at it, it seemed like it needed to be 'chopped'. Just sits too high, not just the suspension.

Correction: My wife does not have the ST with Turbo. Her's is NA but still loves it.
Last edited by RamaCrx on Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RamaCrx

Postby daveb91 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:33 pm

The first Fit they had here was ok...then it got a little bigger.
daveb91

Postby tommy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:12 pm

If you're not even going to take on the Fiesta ST head-on, why pretend? :rolleyes1: The ST is getting such good reviews at the moment, I don't see why anyone would consider any new Fit if you're looking for something sporty at a reasonable price point.
1990 ZcSi
tommy

Postby Baker » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:58 pm

Just give up and stop being a fanboy, Hondas' have no style or soul any longer, they're not fun nor sporty, face it, it is OVER!

The fit will not be considered a classic, but can see the S2K possibly.
Ford, Chevy and Hyundai have more exciting and better looking cars.
Baker
OEM+

Location: Fingerlakes Region Upstate NY/42.6606° N, 76.4308° W

Postby Theos92VR4 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:35 am

RamaCrx wrote:I had a new Fit/Jazz Sport when living in Australia 2 years ago. IMO it was top heavy, got only fair gas mileage in the city, and was a pretty boring drive with not much pep. Lowered perhaps would be better, but then the issues of a car like that for a DD. It needed another 20 hp. It was recalled for the zero motion assembly, otherwise had no issues with it. The shifter was a bit mushy too. I would not get it again. Too many other options now from non-Honda manufacturers.

This guy hit the nail on the head! I just got rid of my 2012 fit sport. Thought it was going to be a fun car, and it was for like a month. Wound up getting into an accident with it and selling it right after. I did do some modifications to it which made it handle pretty good, but for the new fits there absolutely NO aftermarket, so you are very limited in what you can do. If you want something to haul the kids around in while still being sporty its a good car, not really good for a younger guy/ girl, you cant have much fun in them. Theres a reason why almost 80% of the drivers are all in there 60s and above
Theos92VR4

Postby Meech » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:57 pm

We're always left out. Yeah, that's a glass top. ^
ebob wrote:Wish I aged as well the HF. I think I know why I lost 5mpg, my car's carrying and additional 150 pounds.

'88 Dx - '93 MPV V6 2wd - Feedback
Meech

Postby Nar » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:47 am

Kia Rio (cheap interior, lot of body roll)...

What? Which Rio did you sit in? We have the 2012 Kia Rio and its interior is far better than the previous generation Fit, Versa or Fiesta (sat, drove and priced them all out). It also has a better interior than the Fiat 500. Gonna have to take those Honda glasses of man, i for one was a big anti Korean car guy but they really are getting their [crud] together.

The Rio we got had more features on its second highest trim than that of the highest trim Versa or Fit of the same year, plus zero financing. The fiat was the worst deal of all of them. I also happen to think the current Rio is a better looking car than the fit. On the the handling side it falls a bit short of the Fit but is tons better than the Versa. I'm not sure where you're getting the body roll thing from its quite a solid car and i could toss it around a corner faster than my CRX before i upgraded my suspension.

There's a lot of choices now in the small car segment and i wish i could say Honda is still on top of their game but they are seriously not even close to the Honda of old.
My CRX Si
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=43328
"And the CRX still wins on design; aerodynamic block sander beats lumpy egg every time."
Nar

Postby JDMurbanoutlaw » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:30 am

Baker wrote:Just give up and stop being a fanboy, Hondas' have no style or soul any longer, they're not fun nor sporty, face it, it is OVER!

The fit will not be considered a classic, but can see the S2K possibly.
Ford, Chevy and Hyundai have more exciting and better looking cars.

1. i am not a "fan boy" at all, more of an a/c guy lol. but seriously, i just love Honda and want to see them do better. 2. Not sure about Hyundai- unless we are talking about a Genesis Coupe... which for 24k is a looker, no doubt about that. but Hyundai just got its act together and hasn't been putting out consistent performers (Sonata STILL has same melted twisted look) 3. Believe me, I am not a fan of half the [crud] Honda has its hands in right now, nor do I agree with no less than half of the current line up. I do however believe the Fit is a great car for what it is and for how much it costs (lets remember that the Fit starts at $16k base/$18k Sport while the Fiesta ST starts at $21k. both have same suspension set up (macpherson front/torsion beam rear)- The Fit stands less than 2 inches taller than a Fiesta ST and 1 inch longer length.

Lets be real, besides the obvious interior/exterior refreshment, the only thing the Fit Sport needs to compete with an ST is a better engine. Another reason I shake my head at Honda, the Fiesta ST is now just about as powerful as the Si. You call me a fan boy but I would LOVE to rattle some cages at Honda HQ and shake these people to wake them up.

I love hearing about other peoples opinions actually and I am glad to see so many responses and that the B segment of small cars is obviously popular still. The reason I even bring this up at all is because we drive what is essentially a smaller version of a B segment car and if the CRX was being made today with the same dimensions and length/width, it would compete with your Kia Rio, with your Fiesta... so i was just curious.

Believe me, I drive a lot of cars and take several mental notes while I do drive them. I work for the Lia Auto Group, and how we are set up is on a long strip starting with VW, Nissan, us (Honda), Hyundai, Toyota. I would love to work for carndriver but until then, i do my own little spirited test drives and kind of talk and make jokes to an invisible camera like Jeremy Clarkson does. I try to drive everything I can and review it as accurately as possible, take all cars on the same route. I am no professional but I have been doing it for a while now and I love it.

Believe me, I never said the current Honda Fit was the best subcompact car on the road, but it COULD be. Sure, it could use a better suspension and some more power, nicer interior. is that all? cause I can do those things myself. But lets remember all that adds $$$$. For what it is, the Fit is a fantastic car for its price. Also, let me know how the re sale value on that Kia Rio is in 4 years.... Sure engine and hp and suspension are important, but its great to be able to get out of a car without owing thousands over what its worth, and that is why I say the Fit makes sense. because it does financially, its more than practical with it's magic seat/endless cargo room and still fun to drive (maybe not the MOST fun). &there is a small aftermarket for the Fit... look at what the SCCA does with them...

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2009/Honda/FIT-4-Cyl/Hatchback-5D/Values

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2009/Kia/Rio-4-Cyl/Hatchback-5D-LX/Values

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2009/Nissan/VERSA-4-Cyl/Hatchback-5D-S/Values

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2010/Ford/Focus-4-Cyl/Sedan-4D-S/Values

Believe me, I am not attacking ur DD lol. Just food for thought. its nice to see everyone chatting about this though. I am just interested in seeing what the next one will be like because its a very important car for Honda and if they can fix the little problems the Fit has without sending the price into Civic territory, then it will be even better.
JDMurbanoutlaw

Postby Baker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:50 am

JDMurbanoutlaw wrote:Lets be real, besides the obvious interior/exterior refreshment, the only thing the Fit Sport needs to compete with an ST is a better engine.

So, essentially the entire car needs to be revamped to compete.

The Fit has gotten more horrid looking as years progress. They seem to be from the same design stable as Nissan, :sleep:

Unless there is a HUGE market shift, I don't see Honda, Toyota or Nissan changing as they all seem to be on similar paths.
Baker
OEM+

Postby RamaCrx » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:18 am

Ford gets better and the rest get worse.
RamaCrx

Postby JDMurbanoutlaw » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:45 am

Baker wrote:
JDMurbanoutlaw wrote:Lets be real, besides the obvious interior/exterior refreshment, the only thing the Fit Sport needs to compete with an ST is a better engine.

So, essentially the entire car needs to be revamped to compete.

The Fit has gotten more horrid looking as years progress. They seem to be from the same design stable as Nissan, :sleep:

Unless there is a HUGE market shift, I don't see Honda, Toyota or Nissan changing as they all seem to be on similar paths.

RamaCrx wrote:Ford gets better and the rest get worse.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I just stumbled on this article today...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/1307_2015_honda_fit_first_drive/

Reading this. gets me excited to say the least. THIS is the Honda we know. THIS is the Honda we love. THIS is the way of thinking that will help Honda come back strong. Honda knows that is have been beat and bloodied, look who they benchmarked when making the next Fit- the VW Polo. Honda might finally be understanding.

I like this guy Makoto Konishi (Chief Engineer for the 15 Fit) "It's time for a big change. That 'good thing' needs to get better." :D

"Honda seems to have found its mojo again. It'll be back in Formula 1; a new NSX is coming out soon; a smaller sports car is on the way; a new Accord hybrid will travel more than 800 miles on a tank of gas; and a new Civic Type R will soon challenge the Megane RS for the fastest lap by a front-drive car at the Nurburgring. If anything, this Fit is a reflection of the company's newfound corporate confidence."

That smaller sports car on the way is what gets me excited, since I am sure no Type R will come here but either way I am not getting my hopes up... but this could be a good sign of things to come. Give em a chance guys.
JDMurbanoutlaw

Postby Baker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:29 am

JDMurbanoutlaw wrote:I wouldn't be so sure of that. I just stumbled on this article today...

..after reading it last week, seeing it this week didn't excite me at all either.

Taking styling cues from the Clarity and CRV and even the "prototype" NSX, isn't anything to brag about.
For me, it's ridiculously overstyled and looks like a mini Odyssey van.
Baker
OEM+

Postby ColdLumpen » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:49 am

Interesting articles. Thanks for posting those.

What I'm looking forward to, hopefully, is Honda working toward making a direct link of their upcoming Formula 1 engine to their road cars. I'm not saying put the actual Formula 1 engine into their road car, but have a variant of that engine and its technology that is appropriate for the particular road car that it goes in. Not holding my breath on it, but I'd like to see Honda do something similar to what Renault is doing with their Renault "Energy" engine:
http://www.renault.com/en/innovation/ga ... nergy.aspx

Following Honda should be interesting, if not entertaining at least, these next couple of years.
ColdLumpen

Postby CloudPump » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:23 pm

Baker wrote:
JDMurbanoutlaw wrote:I wouldn't be so sure of that. I just stumbled on this article today...

..after reading it last week, seeing it this week didn't excite me at all either.

Taking styling cues from the Clarity and CRV and even the "prototype" NSX, isn't anything to brag about.

I have to agree on the Odyssey part, I can't NOT see a van when I look at those pics.

My comment on the title of this thread:

The Fit (any generation) will never be a classic. The S2000 will be extremely fondly remembered but I'm not even sure I'd be willing to say it'll become a classic. It is, however, light-years closer to becoming a classic over a Fit.

-Geoff
CloudPump

Postby Nar » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:12 pm

Also, let me know how the re sale value on that Kia Rio is in 4 years.... Sure engine and hp and suspension are important, but its great to be able to get out of a car without owing thousands over what its worth, and that is why I say the Fit makes sense.

That is non sense. Why buy a new car in the first place if you're worried about resale in 4 years and owing thousands of dollars, that's called digging a financial hole. We purchased the car because it was great value and its one we were sure was gonna be around and good for us for the next 10 maybe 15 years. With 2k left to pay on the car its gonna be with us for a long time, i wish the fit was as good because i would love to stay with the Honda family but the truth is its not the best deal out there, and i'm not about to stick with a car just for resale value.
My CRX Si
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=43328
"And the CRX still wins on design; aerodynamic block sander beats lumpy egg every time."
Nar

Postby JDMurbanoutlaw » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:09 pm

CloudPump wrote:
Baker wrote:

I have to agree on the Odyssey part, I can't NOT see a van when I look at those pics.

My comment on the title of this thread:

The Fit (any generation) will never be a classic. The S2000 will be extremely fondly remembered but I'm not even sure I'd be willing to say it'll become a classic. It is, however, light-years closer to becoming a classic over a Fit.

whoa whoa whoa... just to be clear... the "/" in the title was meant to split the 2 different articles. Certainly not calling the Fit a future classic... Also, I admit I am no fan of the styling either. My biggest gripe besides the overrall size (which i agree looks too high still) is the 8th gen Accord side body "slash" across the side, among other things.

Then again, I (like many others) am still not partial to the 7th gen "bullet" Civic Si either, but at least that car introduced one of the best Honda engines of its time. I hope the Fit will do that in some way too. I am sure when they say "High Revving" motor, they are being optimistic compared to previous B16 motors sporting similar displacement and size. Give and take. Give me a decent looking chassis and I'll take it with a great engine. Plus, I am sure like every other concept, production versions will be toned down a little.

I personally don't think any car in this segment is beautifully designed or original looking. maybe because cars are really starting to look the same now. I wish things could be kept simple, as far as looks go, the current Fit Sport with its aero kit looks pretty cool as far as factory made cars for under $18k. Keep in mind the Civic is what competes with the Focus, not the Fit. (I have to agree the new Focus is an all around winner- 100%)

At the very least, I am thankful that they are re thinking their approach to building cars again. &that small sports car mention gets me thinking "what if they make something great again that is worth going to the bank and asking what current car loan rates are." maybe I am a wishful thinker. but so be it.

Nar wrote:
Also, let me know how the re sale value on that Kia Rio is in 4 years.... Sure engine and hp and suspension are important, but its great to be able to get out of a car without owing thousands over what its worth, and that is why I say the Fit makes sense.

That is non sense. Why buy a new car in the first place if you're worried about resale in 4 years and owing thousands of dollars, that's called digging a financial hole.

lol I didnt mean to come off sounding like that at all. Kia has come leaps and bounds over where they were only a few years ago and I think everyone recognizes that to some degree. Granted Kia's 2012 re sale value will be much higher than something they made 4 years ago, &believe me, I was not discounting the vehicle quality in any way, but the numbers are what they are.

Nar wrote:
We purchased the car because it was great value and its one we were sure was gonna be around and good for us for the next 10 maybe 15 years. With 2k left to pay on the car its gonna be with us for a long time, i wish the fit was as good because i would love to stay with the Honda family but the truth is its not the best deal out there, and i'm not about to stick with a car just for resale value.

I am glad to hear that and you are a smart person, you think economically... I can't say the same for 60% of consumers I talk to on a daily basis that seem to just cram negative equity from one loan into another and want lower payments, what sucks is they don't understand why that is not possible. People with bad credit/No credit are still getting hammered in interest (that hasnt stopped btw) and it is seriously setting someone up to fail, even if they make every payment on time, it is almost inevitable that you will owe more than its worth.

It's unfortunate, and you dont see it much/if at all on here obviously, but go check out 8th gen civic forum, lot of repos on that site. &we all know once that happens, its good luck getting anything with credit for the next few years, hope you dont need a house anytime soon, hope you dont get in an accident and forgot to get gap insurance and Bank says Sorry for your loss.. but wheres our check?

I like the Honda Fit because even if you are in a situation like that, it is at least somewhat EASIER to do it in a car that has a better value... thats all. say for example you buy a 2013 fit today and in 2 years, your gf/wife has 4 kids... kind of need something bigger... dont have $10k to pay off loan. Cant afford to pay much more. when its time to crunch numbers... Every little bit helps out. Life happens, thats all. We live in a world where you can spend $30k dollars and not put a penny down... there are consequences, people dont know that. I really hate seeing people get screwed & I try to help people the best I can, besides my love of cars that's why I am in the car business. I hate seeing people that buy a car strictly on a payment and then its buyers remorse and they hate the car less than 1 year later, trade it in and then get a HIGHER payment on the car they could have bought originally if they just did some research, these are the same people that don't test drive cars before they buy them.
JDMurbanoutlaw

Postby RamaCrx » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:29 pm

Hey Jdmurbanoutlaw, are you a Honda salesman?
RamaCrx

Postby JDMurbanoutlaw » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:35 pm

I actually run the Internet Sales Department... say for example, you are sitting at home looking around for a new car and decide you are interested in a Honda Accord... lets say for example you are in my area (CT) and go on to Honda.com looking at Accords and request more info... I will receive that as a "lead" with whatever contact information you provided me with (usually your name, email address, location, phone number, comments).

Say for example you know 100% you want an EX-L... I will send you a basic email thanking you for your inquiry and then proceed to give you an aggressive internet quote on an in stock 2013 Honda Accord EX-L. The 2013 Honda Accord EX-L CVT model has an MSRP of $28,785. I will send you a price for $500 under our factory invoice ($25,920).

This makes coming in easier, you have a person to meet, you dont need to negotiate (people still do ofcourse) or wonder if you are getting a good deal. No waiting around, I pull the car up front for you before you arrive, try to make everything as seamless as possible for you. People hate coming in to dealerships, people hate buying cars. Its a hassle for them. They hate the games. I try to take all the BS out of buying a car and make it fun (like it should be). I am very honest and up front, I will do my best to appraise your trade in before you arrive and answer any questions you might have about fees, options, interest rates, anything really.

I do not work the sales floor anymore since I left Dodge over 2 years ago, I love working for Honda. In my eyes, they truly make a superior product for daily driving duties. People don't like spending money on their brand new car. Overall cost of ownership when you consider all factors from taxes to insurance to service and maintenance and gas mileage, Honda really is a great option.

Are they the best cars ever? No. Are there still cheaper alternatives? absolutely. Will other cars do the exact same thing as a Honda for about the same price? of course. I just like Honda as a company, for everything they are, past, present and future. People like they're cars, alot. People coming out of older models like 2006 and older, are genuinely impressed with all the new technology like back up cameras/bluetooth on base models and in some cases, the car sells itself. I don't expect them to ask me why a Honda Crosstour has double wishbones and the Accord no longer does... Sure I get the occasional 18 year old looking for S2000's but truth it I havnt seen one since I started working here besides one mechanic owns one and the last one we had sat in the showroom long enough to make the gas go bad so there ya go.

Keep in mind that at the peak of the "gas crisis" a few years back... my dealership sold new Civic's for $1000-$2000 OVER msrp... Just last year new Si's were selling for $1000 over sticker... that stopped fast, now if you send me an email online, I basically give it to you for cost. Things have changed to say the least. People will buy Honda's forever, regardless. I know this for a fact. No matter what consumer reports says, no matter what car n driver says, Honda will go above and beyond any crash test, any emissions test, ect and pass with flying colors, they will offer best in class MPG, standard options, re sale value, ect. This is all people care about, i get it. I like talking about current new car/car business affairs and news... im really sorry if i bore the hell out of you guys and could care less about any of it. I know most of you gave up hope long ago. Hell, i guess ill just start a blog lol.
JDMurbanoutlaw

Postby RamaCrx » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:59 pm

I'm really glad to see you believe in your product. I love Honda too, just not the new ones so much. I'm obviously open to any changes, but for us old enthusiasts, I'm 64 and have been working on my CRX for MANY years, we see a drift in both Honda and Acura in the USA from the great products to a more mediocre one. Even when something unique comes out like the Element, it gets canned. I realize it's the market place that dictates ultimately what happens, but sometimes companies need to have vision and take a chance. IMO that's what happened when the CRX line was created, when the B16 was taken from racing into production cars, when the USA Integra was introduced, and so on and so on. Then it seemed like Honda lost it's gusto. Maybe it was the aging demographics in Japan, maybe just it's great success. They became dinosaurs like the Blackberry. Can this all change? Sure, but now it's "show me" mode for those who still appreciate how it once was.
RamaCrx

Postby JDMurbanoutlaw » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:08 am

RamaCrx wrote:I'm really glad to see you believe in your product. I love Honda too, just not the new ones so much. I'm obviously open to any changes, but for us old enthusiasts, I'm 64 and have been working on my CRX for MANY years, we see a drift in both Honda and Acura in the USA from the great products to a more mediocre one. Even when something unique comes out like the Element, it gets canned. I realize it's the market place that dictates ultimately what happens, but sometimes companies need to have vision and take a chance. IMO that's what happened when the CRX line was created, when the B16 was taken from racing into production cars, when the USA Integra was introduced, and so on and so on. Then it seemed like Honda lost it's gusto. Maybe it was the aging demographics in Japan, maybe just it's great success. They became dinosaurs like the Blackberry. Can this all change? Sure, but now it's "show me" mode for those who still appreciate how it once was.

Thank you for your kind words Rama. The way I see it, Honda really doesn't us much... They spent decades building, producing and pioneering some of the best tuning platforms on the planet. There is no short supply of pre owned Civic's, RSX's, S2000's, Preludes, Intergras, Accords, ect that you can find almost anywhere if you know where/how to look. I could probably spend the rest of my life buying and driving and upgrading all the Honda's/Acura's chassis that I've always wanted. We all KNOW Honda will NEVER make another car as RAW and PURE as our CRX's, and i accept that.

It is inevitable that Honda will bring back the S2000 in some way/shape/form in the future, no doubt about it. I would argue that even the average Camry buying consumer now WANTS a car that's somewhat fun to drive these days, at least a little bit.... &Manufacturers KNOW this now and are changing the way they make cars. (besides gas mileage) this is why you can find a Turbocharger on an average Ford/Chevy family sedan now. This way of thinking is what brought back the "hot hatch" in America and gave us cars like the new Focus ST, a more European GTI, the beautifully reinvented Mazda3... which spawned the development that small cars can be fun to drive too! like your Fiesta ST, Sonic RS, 500 Abarth, ect. This is what makes Hyundai come out with a RWD Genesis that actually looks good. this is why the BRZ/FRS was a huge success, Honda must be fuming over that... Honda in the 90's would have probably responded to that car with something, maybe. Honda today just buries its head in the sand. Honda needs to do what it did to get them where they are today- take risks. Honda should be responding with a mini S2000. call it the S1000, idc. All they have to realistically do is stuff a K/F series in a 2 door coupe/convertible and get competitive again!

All we can do is wait and see.
JDMurbanoutlaw

Next

Return to The Lounge