Honda CRX Forum banner

fredpaul45 89 crx si

8K views 32 replies 8 participants last post by  fredpaul45 
#1 ·
so ive been reading around the site for a while now but figured I would finally post and introduce myself. my name is paul and im from Cheyenne Wyoming. I picked up my crx in November of last year havnt done much with it except for making it run better. the person I got it from hadn't stayed up on the maitnence. I got the car completely stock and want to leave it that way as much as possible. only thing aftermarket is my momo stering wheel, factory one was pretty bad. a set of del sol si seats because the factory ones were torn up and a center console out of one of my other civics. also switched out the suspension from one of my other cars. but here are a couple of pics and feel free to comment

See less See more
#4 ·
thanks you guys and yes my dog buddy will probably end up being in almost every pic, hes just good like that. I have a lot of work to do to her still, the body has some rust spots ill need to fix. ive got new tires I need to mount and im about to rebuild the steering rack and I need to replace the shift shaft seal. then ill have it running good and reliable, so I can try to work on my other projects. but ive got to say out of all my Hondas I think I like the crx the most

#7 ·
Good eye its a passport the only thing honda though is the badges its been a good vehicle though. I also have a 92 civic hatch im redoing with a k, im parting out my 95 civic hatch that had the j32 swap, and getting ready to start working on the 04 civic si. To many projects cant wait to get the last of the parts I want off the 95 so I can get rid of the shell and have some room again

#8 ·
so I finished working on her, replaced plugs wire, gaskets, distributor, got the steering fixed and finished up the exhaust redid the rims with new tires and did a alignment. come to find out after still not running just right ive got 15 psi in cylinder #2, 3 and 4 were also low at about 120. after doing some tests down here at work weve decided I have a burnt valve. so now I get to fix that. I was just wondering because ive never been inside a d only a k is there anything else I should go ahead a replace wile I have it apart. thanks in advance everyone also here is a pic of how the rims turned out and a pic of a neighbor I meet that got his silver crx like a week ago, he already has it on craigslist too

#10 ·
thanks man that helps a lot im kinda nervous about getting into my first d and want to try to have everything ill need all at once so shes not down. I really cant wait to feel how the d16 is suppose to feel because gotta love Honda it actally runs not bad for being on 3 cylinders, no smoke or stutter just kinda rough idle

#11 ·
Ya no problem there wont be any surprises other than those o-rings, Id suggest valve seals aswell right from honda if that isnt on your list already, only $35 or so for all 16 if thats in the budget

Your car looks great, a bottle of Mother Back To Black and some elbow grease on the lower trim would do it wonders aswell :)b

#12 ·
Those fat fives look great in black!

Car's looking good, good luck on the head work. Maybe buy another head if you don't want downtime..

Just my .02 but then again, if you're not 100% sure it's a valve, d16's go for cheap so maybe buy a complete running engine just in case.

You could probably trade that shell you mentioned for d+cash

#14 ·
thanks you guys. im throwing all my options around in my head. I am almost afraid of what I might run into on rebuilding this engine because of the no maintence on her( had the original spark plug wires when I got it plus tons of other things ive found bad). I could buy a reman head to save on some down time or a full drop in, but then again ill be kinda deep into the engine. my third option is a k swap I have most of the parts laying around ( engine trans ecu fuel lines shifter and cables plus some other random pieces laying around that arnt going into my k swap eg, eg is getting a k24 so only right to find a home for my k20a3 and 5 spd. im still trying to figure out all the price differences and time frame each would take me. im bias to just doing the k swap but gotta finish running all the numbers to see what I can financially do. ill post up once I decide, also befor anyone gives me crap about taking the mudflaps off I did it to save them from getting torn off until they finish the construction around my house huge speed bumps I have to make it around on my only way to work, but they will go back on when I don't have to take that way.

#16 ·
so I haven't been around much the crx has been parked for winter getting everything ready to start doing the k swap in the next couple months. until yesterday, got a call at the end of the day from a neighbor and he says he backed into my car. he's a good friend so I know he's going to make everything right im not worried about that. but now I need a new bumper new hood and hinge, drivers headlight and marker light. and there is a 50/50 chance the cowl (it had popped loose from the hinge bending) radiator support (looks slightly pushed back maybe 1/2 inch at most) and possibly the radiator (sitting about a 1/4 inch higher on the drivers side and it feels really tight) but im going to tear her down this weekend to make sure nothing under the bumper is bad. I don't have pics at the moment but will take some at lunch. I think im going to go with a carbon fiber hood sense I needed to get a hood anyways that will clear with the k, any recommendations? thanks paul

#18 ·
yeah I know sucks the way stuff plays out sometimes.i still want to go as much oem as I can, and would love to go jdm but don't think im going to be able to afford a jdm front end at the moment

#20 ·
Car looks good, that thing's going to fly if you do go through with a k swap! I love when people say they're going to keep their crx stock, then end up doing all kinds of stuff to it.

Quick question, did you put in the del sol seats? How easy was it to install and how comfortable are they on the road? I keep going back and forth on if I want to put in different honda seats or leave the stock ones and hide/fix the damage

#21 ·
razordave said:
Ever get it running right? I just got a d16y8 powered car, really thinking it doesn't run right.
Runs as good as she can for 3 cylinders i have 5 psi doing a compression test on cylinder 2. But ive gone on road trips back home twice and thats a 250 mile round trip and she does fine. But the k is coming lol its in my basement right now getting all cleaned and put back together. So no more money in the d

bairdandrew77 said:
Car looks good, that thing's going to fly if you do go through with a k swap! I love when people say they're going to keep their crx stock, then end up doing all kinds of stuff to it.

Quick question, did you put in the del sol seats? How easy was it to install and how comfortable are they on the road? I keep going back and forth on if I want to put in different honda seats or leave the stock ones and hide/fix the damage
yea i did the seats i love them so comfortable it took a little bit of time i didnt buy any kit or rails just kept playing around with all the parts i had till i found all the parts to work together right. And hopefully with what is changing from stock stays tasteful and clean.

#22 ·
My new car has a y8 in it.. seems like it's not 100%

I haven't found a compression tester yet, but when I pulled individual wires 1 and 4 didn't bog the idle much if at all.

That's why I was wondering if you fixed yours.

I can't wait to see yours with the k in place.

#26 ·
so got a bit of work done over the weekend everything went smooth no stuck bolts and no broken parts. right now im working on the wiring. then want to knock out the shifter relocator, then plan to work on the hydro conversion for the clutch. I also have that extra crossmember I have down at work to get modified for the k. but thought I would share a couple pics. ill keep them coming as I finish new stuff. feel free to comment thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.