Honda CRX Forum banner

I bought another CRX... Little upgrades.

28K views 81 replies 29 participants last post by  sxysweed 
#1 ·
Ummm... Bit of background on me: My name is Ben, I originally joined this site because I was ~16 and my dad just bought me my first car, a white 91 dx (part of it's history can be viewed via the "Old Build" link in my sig). Long story short, I took the car apart, got in over my head, lost motivation, got in quite a bit of debt with the toolman, and sold almost everything to a friend who put it all together... So for the last two years, I've been through three old cars and I just missed having an old CRX more and more...

So this one popped up for sale and I brushed it off as overpriced and too much work to make it right. I looked at the pictures, thought about it for a while, and got really close to ordering a Fiesta ST. Then, I just said "Fuck it", borrowed some money from my dad, and we picked this car up today. Car was purchased from community member "Fuel Shy" and it looks like she's taken great care of it.

Things will be slow as I'm getting ready to take a $$$ vacation, but when I get back I plan to get the ball rolling on bodywork and then mods. It's got a few leaks and a little rust, but OMG it's so much fun to drive!

See less See more
#8 ·
Looks like a great pickup; I figured you'd have to come back into the fold eventually. :D

Once you've gone through it, it should be more reliable than the Fiesta ST (which says more about Ford really than it does about Honda).

Good luck, and looking forward to the build.

#12 ·
Congrats!

I also had a CRX back in high school but never had the money to do anything cool or fun with to it. Since then I have had a wide array of cars and none have made me ax happy as my current CRX I just bought last week! Enjoy the vaca and looking forward to seeing the projects you will have.

#14 ·
The cursed plate belongs to the former owner (Fuel Shy).

I decided to document the major problem areas with the body. The car is far from perfect, but I think it's a pretty good start even if it is yellow like this smiley: 8)

I haven't registered the car yet (I'm broke), but I've started piling up some parts...

#19 ·
razordave said:
The good news is the color hides the boo-boos.

overall looks good, you think you can save that door?
Yeah, faded yellow hides the dents great from a distance. As far as the door, I need to pull the door panel off and then go to some body shops and see what they think... Part two of that is finding a body shop I trust to paint the car.

Baker said:
Find another pair of those 7th Gen Civic Hybrid wheels, they're a nice looking wheel IMO, and ones you don't see very often on ANY older Civic.
I absolutely can't stand the wheels. Depending on how things go with the car this fall, I'd rather 14" steelies with hubcaps than those ugly things.

KevinEF7 said:
Wasnt it just 2 months ago you sold your really clean running no rust white project? Did you just want a y49?
Some time earlier this year I basically gave the non-running, engine-less white one to a friend. That car has some rust/needs some exterior TLC too.

I actually met up with him earlier today to pick up some parts (he ripped out the rear interior, I plan to bastardize it later this year) and to snap some pictures, something like a "before" photoshoot. If he keeps the car long-term, he'll take it further than this, and well, me, I've got relatively big plans for the yellow one.

#24 ·
Installed the valve cover earlier and did plugs/wires. There was quite a bit of oil on the plugs and it looked like the VC Spark Tube Grommets might have been weeping, but if the problem persists I'll have to tear into it and change the lower seals.... Thing is, the motor burns oil on decel, so it probably needs valve guides/seals.. If I go down to that road, I might as well swap on my spare (ported) head.... *simple fix snowballs into complex issue* On the bright side, the cam/valve train all looks very good for a high-mileage car.

Also installed the new *minty* climate control. Completely mangled the old one coming out, but the new one went in pretty easily once I loosened up the entire metal "cage" so I could shift it around a bit. Assemble the mixer/cables first, then screw that onto the entire unit, then the whole thing will go in pretty smoothly (angle it in and move the cage at the same time and it just clears enough that you don't have to put any stress on the CC itself).

Also switched to my Nokia "Mugen-Style" shift knob. This thing weighs much less, so there's much more feel to the shifts (though it doesn't just glide into gear like it does with a heavy knob). Still need to fix the coolant gauge/wiring issues.

Took the car to work to change the exhaust too. One nut on the cat came right off via impact gun, ALL the other nuts on the exhaust instantly rounded off. Cut all the other bolts and had to get out the oxy torch in order to get the studs to pop out of the cat. Used a bunch of generic gaskets, the exhaust doesn't leak at all. HOWEVER, I managed to somehow ruin the stock exhaust manifold in the process, it now leaks pretty bad. FML. Ordered a Y8 manifold as a replacement. Atleast the cat looked to be in fair shape.

Peep the new plate. :bounce:
The exhaust is LOUD but sounds soooo good from 4000rpm to redline at WOT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.