(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

EFnStatic New 90 CRX Si, "The Deep Sleeper"

Show off your CRX. Member rides, pictures, project threads and galleries can go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: EFnStatic New 90 CRX Si, "The Deep Sleeper"

Postby EFnStatic » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:44 pm

Kaminsknator: thanks. yes i always shoot outside the garage with the garage closed. i also have a carport that i kinda use as a booth.

dliverance : i dont mind the the 2 tone haha but i just find painting it will give me more practice. trial and error kinda thing. (1.8L BTW :D )

so today i was fixing the imperfection on my hood. kinda said hell with it. i was eager to paint just the bumper. so i wet sanded the bumper down with 400grits and i tell you, the G2 primer is some really thick stuff. none the less i got it all masked up and prepped for paint. i laid down 4 coats of base and 3 coats of clear.

i had it drying in the sun near my car, at this point i notice the paint was somewhat lighter than my car. i spent the extra money to buy Valspar brand over omni because its not a transparent paint which would require more coats. im pretty stumped. what i did notice was the Blue painters tape on the grill i taped up with the base and clear on that, it seemed to match up quite a bit more than the bumper itself. now thinking to myself if i want my hood to come out closer in color to the car, i need to seal my hood with a darker color or red sealer all together. because i now know the color can match, it just comes down to the undercoat to determine what the final color on will be. that was mistake 1.

mistake 2, my stupid paint gun air knob rubbing on my wrist and increasing air pressure from 25-30psi to 45+ and had cause some orange peel on my clear. not too worried about it because i could always cut and buff it out. but i had wished it didnt happen because it would be a less of a headache in the end. i need to buy a new regulator anyways because this one doesnt lock. it would just spin freely increasing and decreasing air pressure.

the bumper will have all its black trims redone as soon as its all dried up, cut and buffed.

heres the paint what was on the grill stuck on my hood to compare to my fender..theres hope haha.

EFnStatic

Postby dliverance » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:58 am

Looks pretty damn close if you ask me. once you paint the trim and get her out in the sun I bet you won't even notice.
dliverance

Postby Freemananana » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:35 am

I really wouldn't notice from 15' away in a parking lot or cruising down the street.
Last edited by Freemananana on Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
1989 CRX Si
-Daily Driver

1989 Hatch STD
-Project car
Freemananana

Postby Josip » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:20 am

Just color your hood black, it's all '00 again biatch. :D

Nice color, I think it will look cool.
Josip

Postby EFnStatic » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:06 pm

i guess it wasnt a big of a notice now that yall mentioned it. with the bumper painted black in its oem areas, you really cant tell. im loving it.

Josip: those days are over! haha.

so the process here was sanding the crap out of the bumper due to the crazy orange peel it had from my arm moving the pressure up from 29 to 45-50psi, i started sanding with 600 grits wet, had no 800 so i went with 1500 then 2000k. ran out of 3000 so i just went ahead and buffed it. now, i didnt have my pad for my buffer so i used the polishing wool pad from my headlight restorer kit :rofl: it worked to get the shine, but its still an incomplete buff job. some areas you can still see where it was dull from the sanding. so when my cousin becomes available, ill have him finish the buff job since hes more equipped than i am. but for now, it will get me by.

buffed out the bumper first then i used the bumper and trim paint by duplicolor because it was all i had on my shelf and did 3 layers to cover the red, i would say it came out nice and uniformed.

orange peel.

watered down

finally product for the time being.

EFnStatic

Postby dliverance » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:07 am

Looking good. I've used toothpaste as compound before lol. Good stuff.

After reading this thread I got off my lazy butt and primed my bumper. Sometime next weekend I'll get it painted. I'll be using sem from black tho because...I'm lazy.
dliverance

Postby kaminsknator » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:00 pm

The transformation is very cool to see.
Pro- fun to drive
Con- no longer have money
kaminsknator

Postby EFnStatic » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:18 pm

track is next week. last race of the season. i wanted to balls out on it so i went in for a tune.

Friday night we loaded the trailer to drive 2 hours to my tuner. i usually drive my car but.. i had that feeling. (honestly)

we dialed the car in. we run the dyno. the only thing i did differently was install my mac 4 port boost controller. the first few runs was on 14psi which was the 1 bar spring that was already in the wastegate. car was progressively making power on 14psi. we made 374/236 and i was already really impressed because on the exact same setup from my last tuner, it only made 310/200ish. i wanted to make use of the mac solenoid so i up the psi by 3 and dyno'd a few times at 17psi. it was safe to do so, but i think that maybe the 3 years ive abused the engine kinda wore it down a bit. it made 397/289. then later made 403/283. as we were closing in on the map and tune, we checked the plugs. it was burning where 91oct should be burning. my timing was dead on and my afr was dead on. the last pull was what ended it all. blew my short block on the dyno. checked it out and it turns out to be the sleeves. i would have been ok if i had used a block guard a few years ago but i didnt. but i am not mad because i had expected it to blow a year ago. SO!

with that being said, i am going to give it a break before next season and will be working on buying and transferring the parts onto a sleeved block. i will be back.

Stock sleeve b18a1 block 81.5mm no block guard
Cp piston 9:1 comp
eagle rods
acl bearings
rotella 5w-40

stock b16 head
supertech valve springs and retainer
stock gsr cams

91 octane
full 3' exhaust
gsr trans mf lsd

not bad at all.

EFnStatic

Postby dliverance » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:03 pm

400hp is pretty impressive. Sucks about the block tho. Nothing worse than blowing it on the dyno but at least you were prepared.

Back when I was building my FD, I had 1500 break in miles on the motor, drove an hour and a half to the tuner and blew it on the dyno. Talk about pissed off.
dliverance

Postby EFnStatic » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:01 am

indeed it is. not too shabby for what the setup was. 3.5 years, the sleeves were just ready to leave anyways haha.

but i took the intake manifold off to remove my alternator to put into my friends crx for track this past weekend. all the hoses i removed didnt have any lick of coolant..but i did find out where it went haha. i will soon be tearing apart the engine to get ready for the new block.

i also re-buffed my front bumper with a real buffer because the other one i used on the drill didnt really cut it well enough haha. now that its really shiny it actually blends alot better to the fender so its really not that off anymore. hoping to do the hood sometimes this week and get that out of the way while the weather is still looking good.

excuse these photos haha i screen shot them from an Instagram video.

EFnStatic

Postby vanrij » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:59 pm

The buffing makes a huge difference! Might have to try that.
vanrij

Postby EFnStatic » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:24 am

definitely does make a huge difference. now that i have the bumper off, i could finish buffing the part of the bumper that goes under the headlights.

today, i took apart the head to see further what the damages were..talk about one huge crack haha. but im close to getting my new block and the rex will be back up in no time!

EFnStatic

Postby Josip » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:16 am

That's the price for 400 hp. :D
Josip

Postby tommy » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:39 pm

A little Gorilla glue, and that will be good as new! :D

Wow, that's a big crack.
I just bought an orbital buffer from Griot's, and did the spoiler for my EP3. I'll be redoing my bumper like you on the CRX this winter, and it'll come in handy; works very well.
1990 ZcSi
tommy

Postby mosgido » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:01 pm

Great post! Good job :-)b
mosgido

Postby EFnStatic » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:33 am

just thought i'd snoop in and give you guys an update.

so i decided since i am saving money to build the new block and that the wagon will be put down to start prep work for the Kseries, i could make use of the stock ZC in the wagon and put it into the crx. just so i could still have a car to drive around.

this started yesterday and i finished it today around 7pm (11/24/15) i pulled the engine this morning as a whole meaning i didnt remove the axles, drain any of the fluids and dropped it all together.

pulled the 3' keller exhaust off the crx. such a pita being 1piece. pulled the integra exhaust off the wagon and measured up to the crx. its clearly longer. i had to cut almost a foot off the integra and welded it back together. it was a tuff fit over the sway bar since it was all prewelded to the wagon rear. added some new hangers and we are gravy. car turned on and sounded great, all stock and all!

for now, this will be a daily. will probably add misc things on the car. lip for example. paint the hood, buying matching rear tires fix the clogged leaking sunroof, find a sunroof switch haha.
EFnStatic

Postby EFnStatic » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:01 pm

well nothing much different has changed on the crx. broke down on me 2 weeks ago but other than that, its still my daily. i broke the sunroof and pretty just taped it up, lol. at least it doesnt leak anymore.

i took of my Si wheels last friday to put on my dr20 because my azenis were getting major camber wear from the neglected alignment after the traction bar. did an alignment and now the car doesnt have that crazy shaking and hopefully less camber wear over a short period of time.

other than that, i was able to lay some paint down on my hood past saturday. laid down a darker primer and the red came out almost matching the car! so happy for that. i have to get use to looking at it as one color now haha. i am working on doing a dx roof swap to eliminate the sunroof for racing purposes for head clearance but also to remove the sunroof and no more water leak issue. a side from all this, enjoy some photos!

alignment shop
i also work at tesla now, check out the Telsa TRX haha
that one spot of the hood with rage filler i drove around with, finally sanded it down!
primed, sanded with 600grit wet
red primer for that darker undercoat
Valspar Basecoat
1st of the legacy clear
3rd clear
finished
EFnStatic

Postby ZeusTwo » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:35 am

It looks Bad A** bruh. and im pretty sure i follow you on youtube lol
1991 Crx Dx/Si converted
ZeusTwo

Postby 650_rex » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:06 pm

if only i could do half the things you can do, all the painting and building looks spot on. car looks awesome dude, hope to get mine like that. you sponsored by Norcal? ive been following that shop for a while.
650_rex

Postby ohisofly » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:28 am

We need more builds like this on here 8)

I might have missed it but are you running stock suspension aside from coilovers?
1991 Crx Si - My build thread

"I believe in the sun even when it is not shining. I believe in love even when I feel it not. I believe in God even when He is silent." -Written on a wall in a concentration camp
ohisofly

Postby EFnStatic » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:57 am

Thanks fellas!

650_rex : i am not sponsored by norcal. hes a friend of mine that owns the shop. i randomly buy things i need from him.

ohisofly : aside from the body coilovers, its completely stock down to all the bushings lol!

i started on the roof the other day. i hope, just hoping, i will remove my sunroof this up coming sunday, followed by a video.

EFnStatic

Postby EFnStatic » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:19 am

hello all!

EFnStatic

Postby sicknick » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:52 am

Nice fab skills :-)b
sicknick

Postby kracksmith » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:33 pm

followed your youtube about swapping engines. yes you sure do work fast. Just curious what broke down on the this crx and how did you go about fixing it?
kracksmith

Previous

Return to The Showroom