Honda CRX Forum banner

EFnStatic New 90 CRX Si, "The Deep Sleeper"

26K views 72 replies 26 participants last post by  kracksmith 
#1 ·
First off! this thread WILL have a ton of pictures since i have the habit of taking pictures of everything i do.

a little background of myself. if you havent gotten the hint, EFnStatic is my Instagram name. im also go by the name YoungStatic But my everyday name is Dana.

i previously owned an EF sedan that had the rustoleum paintjob which unfortunately i sold in Feb2014. (2006)

i also , currently, own my 90 civic Wagon RHD which is sitting heartless under the covers.

thats just 2 highlights of my 4 cars saga. this thread contains my 5th car.

with that said! i could have not refused a deal so sweet my buddy offered me! his daily crx, a 90 si took a dump presenting a rod knock. he didnt want to deal with the car as he also has other cars to drive and had to focused on his prized EF9 inspired hatch. he offered me the car as a shell for $250! so i sold my daily RT4wd wagon (which i could dearly use the money) and bought the complete shell end of Jan 2015!!

i dont have picture of the interior but it was nearly 100% complete and all it needed was an engine. so i went ahead and started the registration process and the build was under way. with my wagon not seeing the road anytime soon, i figured i could take out my engine and move it over into the crx. we will get to that in a bit.

i will try to post in the order the modifications were done in but first this is how i brought it home.

im very known for fast progress so this build escalated quickly haha.

first things first. i started to clean up the bay for the transplant. removed the items i didnt need. did the wire tuck on both sides. scrubbed the bay and replaced a few hoses and misc.

flared my fuel like for my fuel tuck

new heater hoses.

before and after.

started ordering some parts as i left most of them in the wagon for my future swap. got an innovative traction bar, skunk alpha half core and b16 skunk hoses this time around.

and now the transplant begins. this was mid Feb. the engine in my wagon that was also in my sedan is a mild built LS-Vtec turbo setup. has internals currently off the gate making 311hp. (de-tuned from the 419/296) this was removed and installed without a cherry picker..very scary haha. but i made it happen without a problem.

wired in my ZC glass headlights with pigtails.

hood fitment problems.

got the traction bar installed. function form type 1 installed. intercooler installed. on this car, i modified it to sit more inward the radiator support so i wouldnt have to cut out my grill to achieve this "sleeper" name. so that means i had to get new pipings made. also since im not running a tucked radiator anymore and now with the skunk 2, i have to get my down pipe remade as well. so that was under way.

dropped off at my buddies house fabbed by KellyBuilt

while the car was over at his place, i took the time to freshen up a spare fender i bought for the car since the last owner had the hood fly open and smacked the windshield and the fender causing damage. so i repaired, repainted, cut and buffed it out. bleh, original rio red and the car was repainted something like a slight darker red.

also had the front bumper with me so i did some sanding and polishing. then i retrimmed all the black back to a fresh semi black with duplicolor. scored an si lip in the yard as well!

then these guys. i didnt have plastic compound so i did what i could.

got the car back and put on the fender to cut and buff it out. i did a quick pass with meguiars diamond cut i had lying around. could be better, but its already better than the last fender.

ended one night like this.

the interior was almost done. when i got the car from my friend, it had German Shepard fur everywhere! like even in the vent! dont really have a pix of it either but i scrubbed the living hell out of it, pressure washed it, dried it, vacuumed it, wasted a roll of duct tape to remove the hair and in the end, i couldnt be happier! cleaned the rest of the panels and fixed the rear board!

the fur and duct tape in action!

at one point in time i scored the lip, cargo cover, fender and a pair of 90-91 si seats that i stitched up and is currently completing my interior!

also made a place for my gauges in the pocket section under the stereo. i think it went well. also fixed my climate control panel..piece of crap.

got my exhaust. we are now nearing the end of Feb car is running great but open down pipe. here i have my 3' trubendz mandrel exhaust piping and my muffler of choice is the Vibrant Street Power black exhaust single 3' in and out. talk about a very quite setup for this turbo "sleeper" love it!

changed out my rear hatch strut with o Reillys

got the rest of the trims painted after the new windshield replacement. they took care of the rust and treated it at no extra cost!

after all said and done, the car is registered, insured and is being driven on the daily. March 1 (the reason i built this car so fast) i took it to CMI March Mayhem in Sacramento California to race!! drove the car 125 miles to the track. the Name DEEP SLEEPER came about because my cousins car is a 98 civic sedan all stock exterior plus wheels and has full suspension equipped with a built 1.8 lsvtec that runs consistant 13s with full interior. it was also driven to the track. he calls that a sleeper. mine is considered a "deep" sleeper to them because my car is like an all original crx Si with si wheels and its full si interior. i decided to paint my intercooler black and with the choice of my exhaust system, its fairly quite and most people didnt know it was boosted or what so ever. the only thing that throws it off is the stupid hood prop. i had to do that temp. due to the hood hitting my valve cover for what ever reason, even with the webs cut!! :evil: but aside from that..i thought the name suited it well. as i rolled up into the line as this stock crx..i went around and threw my track tires on that had people question me haha. it was awesome.

hotel

arrival

our line up 3 of 6 crx

at the end of the day, i was more than happy with the results of this car! it went the fastest a 12.0 with full interior! with many more roof for improvement! it was also on a stock LS cable trans non-LSD haha. but i will be back out in april looking to get into the 11s. i threw my wheels back on. put my tires back into the car and we headed up. daily driven race car eh?

as i left i heard this ticking noise but i tried to ignore it for the 125 miles back home. it made it safe and drove wonderful. but that ticking had my curious. did a compression test. Good. Leak down test, Good. rod knock test, Good. did a valve adjustment, Good. but the noise was still there. so i went ahead and changed my lma to skunk2 Spring style. upon doing that i found out my cam gear is broken! after 10+ years i guess its time to retire the STRs. also when putting back the timing belt i notice my tensioner isnt properly placed on the stud that its suppose to sit on. fixed all those mishaps and the noise is gone. not knowing what caused that ticking, but its gone and im happy.

i am currently working on a gsr trans with lsd as well as the hushperformance hydro conversion for the car and Here i am going to close off this first post with me sitting in front of my car! ENJOY!

See less See more
#7 ·
EFnStatic said:
thanks yall. its a Talon intercooler by CX Racing. nice dual backdoor and fits in the grill nicely.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-3-5-Th ... 67&vxp=mtr
wagon
I knew it, i had seen this on cx racing's website and wondered if it would fit our front end. Thanks for confirming this!!!!

Did you modify the bumper support? which one are you running si/dx or hf?

#10 ·
welcome guys. heres some pix i took yesterday. im working on having my rear shock lower body extended so i could go higher at least another inch. with the huge 24.5 slicks my car is reverse raked. i want my car to demon drop haha.

i have the stock crx Si bumper support trimmed down. i removed the spot weld in the center (circled) and then cut the inner ends as show in pix. it kinda turns into the jdm bumper support with bulkier ends. may need to trim the back side where it would kiss the intercooler but you'll see that when you get to it.

#16 ·
haha it was nice talking you nick. it was such a fun filled day!

Baker: it was pre-bent to the chassis. fitted great! though i skipped some flanges haha.

got some updates prior to racing this past weekend.

went to my first crx Norcal owners Meet. pretty cool! and met some new faces! its a growing community.

after march 1st i had bought a MFactory LSD for a GSR transmission that i bought. turns out the case was cracked so i bought a new case and had it installed all together. to later about 2 weeks later i found it also be cracked after cleaning and prepping it to put it into my car for the upcoming event.

so i get another case from a friends shop and had them do the install to later get back and find out that it was also cracked and welded.

thinking ok, its at least welded. so i go take everything apart from my crx so i can have it installed for the weekend (this was the 24th, i leave on the 25th and track is on the 26th)

removing and installing trans

i was fortunate enough to find this EF mount for 20$ about 1.3 hours from me so i had a friend out there pick it up for me! the hasport actuator was given from my cousin and it was exactly what i needed since my downpipe will block where the innovative actuator would sit!

now i was done and it was ready to fire up, while i was pouring honda MTF, i notice it leaking already from under. followed it back to..another flucking crack.

as frustrated as i was, i kinda gave up trying to get my car going to the track. i was still going to be out there and support my friends and family who are racing out there sunday. i had cleaned up, car still on jack stand trying to figure out what i am going to do when i get back from track.

heres the twist. Saturday morning my cousin and friend came knocking on my door at 8:30am in the morning after talking to them friday about my car not being able to make it to track. they showed up to my door with their GSR trans w/ LSD to put into my car so I i can make it out there. i was pretty shocked and speechless. as we were suppose to leave that same day for some TNT, with them and another friend of mine coming over to help me take apart my trans and install the temp, we finished it all in 1 hour. looks like ill be making it after all! words cannot describe the friends and family i have. upon installation, i had to check my clutch..haha man it wasnt good looking at all. but with no other clutch, i had to reuse it. no burns or warpage on either the PP or the flywheel so back on it went. CC Stage 4 6 puck unsprung

POS CRACKED TRANNY

heres my itr lsd spare, my cracked case gsr lsd, my cable ls and welded diff ls hydro tranny

here we are, Sunday during Tech Inspection! so glad to have made it out! these were 3 of the 6 cars we brought out to race! (1 rwd crx, 1 ej1, 1 97 civic sedan)

didnt quite meet my 11sec quest but i came knocking and i couldnt be any more happy. the even was huge and only 3 runs were made. i was able to drive home without a hiccup so thats whats really important to me. i will be making some adjustments so next track i hope to see some 11.90s

enjoy!

#22 ·
hit the track this past sunday and my goodness it was fun. very little amount of cars racing but that meant it allowed us to race more rounds. i was able to get 4 trial runs in, 2 qualifying runs before getting eliminated and my cousin ran twice.

best the whole day was a 12.09, 12.07 12.04 12.01. it just didnt want to seem to get into the 11s for some reason haha but im not mad. full interior street car full exhaust with my 285lb ass i couldnt been more happy (even with my cousin with more seat time and skills weighing in at 160 still did a 12.01) the car is raked correctly now doing the 1.7 60s trapping 115-117 all those runs. the other times were 12.32 12.43 12.58 12.84 which were all mess ups haha. still drove the car home like a champ!

i got knocked out as 5th qualifier in Turbo Bracket while my friend Alicia (first honda, first time at track, ran 13.2) took 3rd place with a plaque + $100 and my friend Marco taking home Second trophy and $200. indeed it was a good day.

the CREW

#23 ·
these are the time slip from last sundays track. im pretty happy with everything. including driving home without a hiccup.

the other day i was driving around and notice my car was a bit louder. went to a friends out to get my fuel rail for my wagon fabbed up and he wanted to peep my engine bay..he them pointed out a crack on my turbo manifold.

then i remove the manifold to find runners 3 and 4 was also cracked.

yay me -_-

but i contacted JDL Auto design and they are willing to work with me. they told me that they will warranty their work as long as i am the original owner. i told yes, i bought the manifold from jesse new about 5 years ago. i provided all the messages, screenshots, transaction through email. they confirmed with jesse and i spent them my manifold. told me if its unrepairable, they will make me a new one..i am pretty excited! so with my car being out of commission, its just now a waiting game.

#25 ·
finally after 2.5 week, JDL returned my turbo manifold. it wasnt new but it was repaired quite well. they did cylinder 1 runner brand new. the top of cylinder 2 3 4 runner and a new head flange. couldnt have been more happy. finally installed in back into my car past saturday. then i did the unexpected :shock: :shock:

i had a spare down pipe and used it to make an up pipe. i ended up cutting up my hood for this (knowing that my hood was already messed up was why i did it.) so i am going to tune soon with my new 4port e.boost controller. going to try to tune for 2 maps, one for the up pipe and the second for the full exhaust.

also had to buy new 45' fittings and nylon hoses so i could clear my up pipe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.