Honda CRX Forum banner

ZC swapped 88 OregonCoast

15K views 63 replies 8 participants last post by  MaxxBrozzi 
#1 ·
Just picked
up an 88 dx with what appears to be a ZC swap. Also what what kind of Ecu is that supposed to have? It's running a pG7? Is that right?
The head looks wrong to me but I'm no expert. (Isn't it supposed to have two bolts on top?)
Also it smells like it's burning oil but it's been two weeks now and there is no disparity in oil.
Confusing to say the least. But I'm super happy to be back in my favorite car and the price was right.
I know that I need to match up the trim! Any one have any tips on how to fix that paint? Comment or dm me please

See less See more
#3 ·
"Also it smells like it's burning oil but it's been two weeks now and there is no disparity in oil."

Is there any oil buildup anywhere on the motor or exhaust that could be burning? Even a small gasket seap can cause the oil to drip on a header or other hot surface and poof burnt smelling oil. Make sure your temp gauge is up to speed.....

#4 ·
duckology said:
"Also it smells like it's burning oil but it's been two weeks now and there is no disparity in oil."

Is there any oil buildup anywhere on the motor or exhaust that could be burning? Even a small gasket seap can cause the oil to drip on a header or other hot surface and poof burnt smelling oil. Make sure your temp gauge is up to speed.....
Well when the temp gauge hits the right temp it goes back down and the check engine light goes on. Rear main seal?

#12 ·
MaxxBrozzi said:
Baker said:
MaxxBrozzi said:
Also what seats are these?
I've never seen white and red stripped
Check to see how "well" they're mounted. Civic seats do not bolt up to a Crx, without modification.
They sent mounted well is there a how too on how to make these fit right
They "seem", or have you actually looked at them and how they are mounted.
Betting that they are NOT mounted using the factory Crx holes.
Either 3 of the 4 bolt holes line up and another hole has been drilled to accommodate the Civic seat.

Best way is to swap the Civic seat foam and fabric onto a Crx seat frame.
This retains the Crx seat frame, and basically the only reason people do this is because the Crx seat fabric is worn out.
Any other seat install requires welding and fabricating of the seat frame rails.

#13 ·

The seats are mounted correctly but in meh shape. I'm gonna have the bolsters redone in leather an keep the centers the color they are. First things first she needs another oil change ;( and a compression test. She shouldn't be burning oil and has a slight misfire.... Damnnnnnnit

#16 ·
MaxxBrozzi said:
I'm tracking down a pair of 88 seats. Don't the 88s have different rails then 89-91?
Partly correct.
All US '88 models and the '89 HF share the same rails. It has to do with pillar mount belts vs the later door mounted belts.
Seats from cars with pillar mounted belts DO NOT have the seatbelt latch attached to the rails.
The US market was the only market to get door mounted belts, so any other non US market 88-91 Crx seat will fit your '88.

#17 ·
Baker said:
MaxxBrozzi said:
I'm tracking down a pair of 88 seats. Don't the 88s have different rails then 89-91?
Partly correct.
'88 and '89 HF share the same rails. It has to do with pillar mount belts vs the later door mounted belts.
Seats from cars with pillar mounted belts DO NOT have the seatbelt latch attached to the rails.
The US market was the only market to get door mounted belts, so any other non US market 88-91 Crx seat will fit your '88.
Baker you have been my guy for knowledge thank you for your sage wisdom because you really are helping me quite a bit! Not sarcasm, genuine thanks sir

#18 ·
MaxxBrozzi said:
Baker you have been my guy for knowledge thank you for your sage wisdom because you really are helping me quite a bit! Not sarcasm, genuine thanks sir
No problem, you're welcome!
I edited that and got a bit more specific, to avoid confusion in how it was originally worded.

I helped put a few FAQ articles on here together to help organize info about these cars, as there are a few differences within 88-91 as well as US market vs. the rest of the world.

#20 ·
So I ordered some Amber corners and bumper lights and somehow the sent me doubles of each and sent me the wrong year bumper lights [emoji17] I'm not sure how they pulled that off considering they got the corner lights right

#22 ·
Baker said:
MaxxBrozzi said:
So I ordered some Amber corners and bumper lights and somehow the sent me doubles of each and sent me the wrong year bumper lights [emoji17] I'm not sure how they pulled that off considering they got the corner lights right
Being an '88, shouldn't you already have had the amber bumper lights?
Mine are clear idk if thts normal or not but that's the way they are

#25 ·
Baker said:
MaxxBrozzi said:
Baker said:
Being an '88, shouldn't you already have had the amber bumper lights?
Mine are clear idk if thts normal or not but that's the way they are
Ahhh, clear aftermarket, OEM style lens.
I like 'em though.
We'll learn something new everyday!
If you got some oem Amber ones I'll trade you [emoji6]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.