Honda CRX Forum banner

B16a SiR V swap into '91 CRX

14K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  sigmabob 
#1 ·
In August I bought myself this beautiful '91 CRX si with 230,000 miles. Engine had low compression in one cylinder, failed leakdown everywhere, slipped in every gear, but was in beautiful shape and was exactly what I wanted (black si).

So I endeavored to do my first major mechanical project - An engine swap. Got the b16 ordered from HMotorsonline with y1 tranny, OEM LSD, mounts, shift linkage, axles, ECU, sub harness, the works.
Here are the pictures I managed to grab during the engine swap process.

my buddy and I being real hip hop right here

Honda Family

Out with the old

In with the new :love:

exedy clutch pack

resurfaced flywheel

my life for over a month looked like this :oops:

BOOM (fixed the clutch cable routing shortly after this picture lol.)

And now she is all done just in time for the Pacific Northwest world famous endless rainy season! :cry:

Thanks for checking it out, couldn't have done it without HMotorsonline, VIPperformance here in Portland, Thomas Automotive, crxcommunity, hondatech, google, and my buddies and dad's help thank you everyone!

See less See more
#4 ·
Very nice and clean. Just what crxs should be like ...clean and simple with a few mods. Hope you will come out to the great pnw ef meet in aug.... hey also if you are looking for a amber set of corner lights to match your bottom turn signals let me know. I bought a set of depo brand new cant use because i have an sir ef8 front end. Pm me if interested im i. Se portland.

#6 ·

Driving it for the past couple weeks has been a blast. I am totally happy with where it is power wise for now. It's been absolutely dumping rain lately so I haven't really pushed it though.

I will say this about the b16: The crx is a totally different car now. I can overtake people, change lanes, get where I need to, go up hills, this is amazing. I've owned an accord and two civics and none of them moved like this thing does. Highly recommended! :)b

I am interested in maybe increasing the power next year; intake, header, obd1, chiptune, the usual. But for now here is my to do list:

New muffler (greddy ewwww. I like the tanabe super medallion sound but I'm still doing research I already have 2.5'' all the way so just need the muffler for different sound)

Paint (looks clean in the pics but the roof and rear quarter panels are quite faded and clear coat is almost gone)

Sunroof seal (I'm getting leaks in passenger floor area that is coming from sunroof bleh)

Sub (literally no bass in these things.. I don't want to blast sound but I want some depth to the music lol)

Seats and harness

#8 ·
Update!

Updated the front of the 'rex with nice amber corners, got them from someone on here, but I don't remember who it was lol. Installed some fogs from thailand, they work great and were a lot cheaper than the stanleys!
next up will be a new license plate and fixing the fitment of the hood/bumper to get rid of that awkward gap.

and here come the goodies! Got the last Skunk2 'mega' exhaust system from VIP performance here in PDX, mated it to a high flow cat and had the shop chop the flange off my oem exhaust manifold and replace it with a Megan racing flange. Sorry no pics under the car :(

and what good is a new exhaust without a new intake. Went ahead and had the shop take care of this for me as well, 3in aluminum intake with K&N filter. These two upgrades have really brought the car to life.

and that stock steering wheel had to go. It was delaminating pretty badly, and was honestly too big for the cockpit on this thing so HMO come through with a momo for $100

And when the hub that HMO sent with it didn't fit, it was obvious that I should go with an NRG short hub and quick release right!? sorry for the messy carpets, its been pouring rain here.

Up next for this spring/summer is hood/bumper fitment fixes, hopefully paint on the peeling roof, new climate control unit, and autocross!!

#24 ·
White looks good...I picked up some 16" rims with a +37 offset today and was looking for reference....yes there are alot of pics out there but some wheels look bigger than others. Went with OZ Alleggerita Hlt titanium finish. Also like the pics from the beach road trip. I lived in Boise for 20 years..great part of the country to live in.

#26 ·
The rex is looking good. Just needs a front lip and you are good to go!! Glad the corner amber lights went to good use unstead of sitting in a box on my shelf..lol. maybe when u go to obd1 you should also upgrade the intake manifold .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.