(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

29MAY moar pics: Euro EE8 1.6i-VT (aka Grounds for Divorce)

Show off your CRX. Member rides, pictures, project threads and galleries can go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

29MAY moar pics: Euro EE8 1.6i-VT (aka Grounds for Divorce)

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Mon May 16, 2016 12:24 pm

I suppose I should start a thread for my CRX. It’s been long enough.

These usually start out with a bit of history, so here goes. I first fell in love with the little cars in about 1991. A high school friend of mine had a 1st gen with two seats, a subwoofer, and a bike rack. What more could a teenager want? I was quite fond of that car, and at the time, 2nd gens were still available new on the dealer’s lot. Well, I came from a piss-poor household, and my after school and weekend jobs were not going to get me into a sports car- no matter how economical. So that was that.

Um, fast-forward 20-some years. I’m pushing my little Bimmer to its limits on the Autobahn, wishing for something a little faster. A Lotus Elise, maybe? How about the next best thing: a fast rex. And so the bar is set. I spent a year shopping for EE8 Vtec CRX cars. They’re essentially a left-handed EF8, available in Europe only in 1990-1991. Not very many of these cars were sold, and there are a handful left on the road today- maybe 30 or so. So I found one that was kept indoors in the winter and mostly complete. The interior was gutted, but otherwise the car was nearly all original. I handed over a wad of colorful Euro bills, and the car was mine.

So, first I cleaned it up and got it on the road. The gearing and suspension geometry is a little different than the USDM, to say the least. The underpinnings are more DA Integra and 92 Del Sol than they are CRX. Some parts, like the front LCAs, are peculiar to this model only. It’s been a bitch figuring out which parts swap. But more on that later. Let me say that this car can hold 230 KPH all day long. I can outrun (but not out-accelerate) EVOs, M3s, and many Porsches, which is quite a thrill. It gets plenty of attention at car shows, which is fun, but this whip ain’t done. Not by a sight.

Last edited by Gr8_EE8 on Sun May 29, 2016 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Keep it real. This is the only Honda forum worth my time. You make it happen.
Gr8_EE8

Re: Overdue Thread: Euro EE8 1.6i-VT (aka: Grounds for Divo

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Mon May 16, 2016 12:28 pm

I had to do something about that gutted interior. I started with the rear, covering everything with GT-Mat butyl. I used an isocyanate spray foam with an elastic cure in a couple of spaces for good measure. Then I covered the vertical parts with mass-loaded vinyl, and the floor with jute double-faced with thermal mylar. I hot-glued polyester fleece to the back of all of the plastic panels to absorb the highest frequencies. I don’t know if that was necessary, but the end result is Mercedes-Benz quiet. The doors and trunk close solid, and my music sounds good to me, so hey. I think in total, I might have added 70 lbs of extra weight, but that is easy to eliminate elsewhere. Here are a few pics. I never take enough photos, but it’s really low priority. I’ll do another post on the stereo, then get to the real juicy [crud].

Gr8_EE8

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Mon May 16, 2016 12:39 pm

I guess I've got some pictures to take, since I forget to. So for now, spoilers:
Gr8_EE8

Postby bozind » Thu May 19, 2016 2:35 pm

Good found.
Is there on picture EE meet.

Did you mean about number of 30 Crx EE8 in Germany or Europe.
honda
bozind

Postby vanrij » Thu May 19, 2016 11:39 pm

Love it. Keep us up-to-date on the work that goes into it.
vanrij

Postby Josip » Sat May 21, 2016 7:19 am

Contact me in few years for sale. :D
Great car!
Josip

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Sat May 28, 2016 2:59 pm

So here's how I did the cargo compartment. In the spare tire slot, I have a 15" Insight hybrid spare that is light aluminum and clears the brakes. The floor is MDF, and I mounted some high end upholstery material I got off Amazon to it with 3M adhesive. The sub is anchored down with stainless hardware, as is the AGM battery.
Gr8_EE8

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Sat May 28, 2016 3:07 pm

This was fun to do. I rebuilt a USDM cargo box to suit my needs. Another AGM battery lives here. Fosgates all around to furnish the Pantera. Far beyond driven, heh.

Gr8_EE8

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Sat May 28, 2016 3:23 pm

Butyl cellosolve is great stuff. Well, not exactly, it's simple green and non-fuming oven cleaner. I love that stuff for pre-pressure wash goodness. And a couple coats of hammerite later... I hate draining fuel tanks.

Gr8_EE8

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Sat May 28, 2016 3:35 pm

The running gear was looking a little old, despite surviving the climate here for 25 years without rust. I took the parts to Saarbruecken for chemical and abrasive stripping and an acetate pickling. Then I talked an industrial plating shop into doing a yellow zinc galvanized coat. In the end, it cost me less than it would have cost to paint it with good materials. I am thrilled with the result. Since zinc s a sacrificial ablative coating, I decided to shoot two coats of 2-component isocyanate clear to keep the parts blinging for next fifty years.

Gr8_EE8

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Sat May 28, 2016 3:49 pm

So this may have been highy unnecessary, but I just had to do it. I ground out the factory undercoat, which was really thick and heavy. It was a long, long, painful process. Then I re-sealed the seams, and shot it with some really fantastic steinschlagschutz/unterbodenschutz from Poland tht is again isocyanate based, and carried in toluene. It is about like rhino coating. Put five kilos on the back part, which is probably half of what I removed in factory undercoating weight.

Gr8_EE8

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Sat May 28, 2016 3:58 pm

So after 4 months, I get to bolt on my bling. All of the hardware is Bolt Boys, and where they didn't supply the goods, I replaced every bolt with stainless socket head cap screws. The goods are Voodoo 13 anf PCI spherical yummies, and the rest is obvious.

Gr8_EE8

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Sat May 28, 2016 4:08 pm

More rear sus love. The coilovers are from Yellow Racing, and are the real deal. I have crossweight scales, and know how to set up dampers like a boss. Springs are a little on the stiff side, but at least can get away with OEM SiR/EE8 sway bars. On paper, the numbers really work.
Gr8_EE8

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Sat May 28, 2016 4:27 pm

So I went with a Quaife close ratio steering gear. I had to do what everyone else on the internet has done to get the damn parts to fit and fully engage. I did no different than the well-known Endyn writeup regarding the Quaife. The result was good, and I have a lot of confidence in it. The rack was about 1/2" longer than OEM, so I had to cut 3/8 off each outer tie rod thread, and cut a few more turns with a die. I also cut about 3/16 off each TRE, and ordered narrow jam nuts. Now I have my full range of toe adjustability back.

Gr8_EE8

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Sat May 28, 2016 4:33 pm

On top is a column from another EE8. On bottom, a electronic power steering colum from an Opel Corsa, and a programmable RallyWiz control box that taps the vss. Power steering in the parking lots without the slop, and pure manual at speed. It fits, but I need to graft the two. Project for later.

Gr8_EE8

Re: BIG UPDATE: Euro EE8 1.6i-VT (aka: Grounds for Divorce)

Postby NovaVTEC » Sat May 28, 2016 5:50 pm

Cool that power steering idea. Im going to fit one off of a DA Integra. It also has variable speed assist.
Are you sure you need the sphericals? It will make your sound insulation and rear suspension feel like non existent.
The worst thing you can do to a street Honda.
If you want Mercedes you need MG ones from the UK, cheap too
Flint Black EE8 - All OEM Baby!
NovaVTEC

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Sun May 29, 2016 2:40 am

The LCAs are unique to the i-VT. They are longer than the USDM arms by about 20mm. The bushings are from Strongflex.de, hard as hell at Shore 90. Super thick steel inserts, too- top quality. I also got their transmission shift pivot bushing and the elusive i-VT sway bar eye bushings.

It took a long time to get to this point...

Gr8_EE8

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Sun May 29, 2016 3:04 am

You can see I had to stop short with the undercoat from the park brake lever forward, since I need to get this car on a boat in 30 days. I have 12 more kilos of the APP U100 unercoating that I am so enamored with, so I can finish later (timed with the engine and transmission replacement- that's another story. A long and very expensive story.) and maybe have enough left over for my Samurai. Aww hell, here's a pic of my Samurai. I bought it stock in 2005, now it is a Suzubaruchevyotabishi, and a subject for another thread somewhere else, like Pirate4x4. It has been in storage since fall '09 while I've been in Europe.

So, anyway, gettting the front end together. I bought a Full-Race DA traction bar, and it did not work out because the mounting points for the tow hooks are different on the DA than the EE, which is different from the USDM, so that's for sale... I had to switch to the Innovative DA traction bar. It is not as blingy as the Full-race, but it is a very good fit, has a better motor mount setup, and provides tons of clearance to the crank pulley, making that a non-issue even with the ATI damper I have on the new engine. Lots of front end differences between the i-VT and the USDM cars. It's been a bitch figuring that out. More on that later.
Gr8_EE8

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Sun May 29, 2016 3:13 am

NovaVTEC wrote:Cool that power steering idea. Im going to fit one off of a DA Integra. It also has variable speed assist.

It's a Euro thing. The control box gets a vss signal, and I can do a lot more with it in Megasquirt. I am excited to get it set up... next year.
http://www.rallywiz.com/Shop/opel/vauxhall-corsa-b-c-variable-speed-power-steering-controller.html

Gr8_EE8

Re: 29MAY moar pics: Euro EE8 1.6i-VT (aka Grounds for Divor

Postby daveb91 » Mon May 30, 2016 11:44 am

Very nice build.. Awesome.
daveb91

Postby Treezy » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:55 pm

Damn fine work!
Founder, Evasive Illusions MSC
*Owner of the Only AWD 5G Prelude*
1991 EDM EE8 Turbo B16A1 "Black Betty"
Treezy

Postby Damian_vtec » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:10 pm

:shock: amazing crx :-)b
Damian_vtec

Postby Treezy » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:25 am

So talk to me about the undercarriage.. I don't have access to the polish stuff, but would you say that rhino lining would be roughly the same weight-wise? Never used the stuff but definitely looking to clean the bottom out exactly the same way down the road. And what sealant did you use?

I won't find out where I'm headed for another few months at the earliest, so I'm just kinda buttoning everything up to make sure she'll pass the shipping inspection. I really wanna tear into the dash and bay and clean up the wires, just getting more and more leery of "fixing" things the closer I get to inspection lol.
Treezy

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:30 pm

Treezy wrote:So talk to me about the undercarriage.. I don't have access to the polish stuff, but would you say that rhino lining would be roughly the same weight-wise? Never used the stuff but definitely looking to clean the bottom out exactly the same way down the road. And what sealant did you use?

I won't find out where I'm headed for another few months at the earliest, so I'm just kinda buttoning everything up to make sure she'll pass the shipping inspection. I really wanna tear into the dash and bay and clean up the wires, just getting more and more leery of "fixing" things the closer I get to inspection lol.

I sprayed the undercarriage with this stuff right here. Liked it so much I brough 14 liters back in my HHG. The price is really good, and the quality is exactly like rhino liner. I am sure you can get it in IT, even if it has to come from up north. For sealant, I used permatex gray body seam sealant in a caulking gun. One tube will do the whole car. It sticks where you put it, and is low-odor. Basically like the stock sealant, except not 25 years old.

I hear ya on the inspection. I am SO glad that nightmare is over. If you end up at JBLM, give me a holler. Rich Tuned and Speedfactory are both in the neighborhood, so good place for Hondas.
Gr8_EE8

Postby Treezy » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:53 pm

Haha.. Not a chance on going there. Yeah I got a few things from SF in my car, would love to actually stop in and see those guys, Cody definitely helped me out. Thanks for the info, will definitely be looking into it, especially since I know I can take it with me in HHG :-)b
Treezy

Next

Return to The Showroom