(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Xan's 1989 CRX

Show off your CRX. Member rides, pictures, project threads and galleries can go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Xan's 1989 CRX

Postby CRXanatos » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:37 pm

Hey guys. I look forward to meeting everyone.

How I got into the "Honda Game"
I was 18, graduated after my junior year and working in my dads body shop alongside my family. I knew I had to build something. It was to that point. March 2015 I picked up a yellow 96 Integra in pieces and replaced the frame rails, core support, redid the interior, rebuilt the motor, and the suspension and I fell in love with Honda. My best friend has always been a Honda guy and now I finally get it.

Today I traded a 98 RS I built with a high comp b20 for a 1989 CRX (I think DX). I could smell the clutch burning as I drove her home, the gears were taller than Yao Ming and the brakes barely worked but I'm already in love.

Current mods
Stock d15 block/transmission
D16z6 head
Adjustable Cam Gear
Short ram intake
KYB coilovers
Wheels(?)
10k blue HIDs
OBD1 conversion
G Medallion exhaust
Aftermarket Headers

Short term goals:
New clutch kit/flywheel
Transmission with shorter gears
Tune

Long term goals:
Some nice seats
Rust repair, minor body work, and then paint
MAYBE Nitrous. My yellow Integra is supposed to be the race car but... you never know

This isn't gonna be a full on resto project, nor is it going to be a racecar. This is going to be a fun car that people can smile at when they see it going down the road and I'll have a blast driving it.

98 Integra RS (traded for my CRX)
89 CRX DX
96 Integra LS
Instagram @west_florida_imports
CRXanatos

Re: Xan's 1989 CRX

Postby CRXanatos » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:02 pm

So I was wondering because I've only ever been around B series motors, 2 things

Whats the best cable transmission for acceleration
Whats the best hydro transmission for acceleration

I have clutch pedal and master cylinder out of a junk 2000 Civic I own, could I use this along with some line to convert to a Hydro transmission?
89 CRX DX
96 Integra LS
CRXanatos

Postby JeffWilliamsUSA » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:23 am

CRXanatos wrote:So I was wondering because I've only ever been around B series motors, 2 things

Whats the best cable transmission for acceleration
Whats the best hydro transmission for acceleration

I have clutch pedal and master cylinder out of a junk 2000 Civic I own, could I use this along with some line to convert to a Hydro transmission?

crx si / L3 cable trans
there is eh , only one hydro trans for d-series and i think it was for the dohc zc.
google around for cable to hydro conversion.
most use either a cable to master / slave adapter kit or a direct cable to mechanical adapter.
there are some full hydro conversions but they are pricey and you have to remove the drivers vent ( or bend it a bit )
most people are doing hydro pedal conversions for B series though.
I don't think there is much advantage to hydro on a d-series.

and your crx , it's not an si obviously ( no sunroof )
and since the swap has mods to the wiring , kinda doesn't matter if it's HF or DX.
check to see if you have a obd0-obd1 conversion harness on your ecu under the passenger carpet.
ask your PO about the obd / ecu / mpfi swap info.

HF had 2 spoke steering wheel and tiny flimsy front metal bumper.
also had the carpet for the trunk attached to the security box and no cargo cover or cargo divider.
and it only had one horn instead of 2 ;) / passenger mirror was an option ..
check out the FAQ's there is a huge thread about the differences between them ..

anyways .. good luck welcome to the community

PS: i think you would benefit from a thread in the modification garage.
Post lots of pics in the showroom ;)
STUFF 4 SALE
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=190266
Our CRX Family :)
88 HF .. J2-ReX NeW
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=200562
89 DX .. K-ReX
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=47004
91 DX .. J-ReX
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=53872
JeffWilliamsUSA

Postby CRXanatos » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:23 pm

Exedy clutch and competition lightweight flywheel ordered.

Thanks for the detailed reply. You gave me a lot of good things to consider moving forward. More pics coming haha just gotta upload them to my computer and then host them. Tomorrow I'm gonna check out the brakes and see why they're not working 100% and then try and source a driver's door glass.

When I get my new clutch to put some miles on it I'm gonna drive to my tuner in Tampa and have him see whats goin on with the P28 and the wiring since he'll have a much better idea of whats going on then I will.

Only quirky little thing the car does is surge at idle from 700-1100rpms. IACV might need cleaned I'll check the basic stuff. Any "suspect" things I should check for?
89 CRX DX
96 Integra LS
CRXanatos

Postby ef yu » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:26 am

its a 89 dx model. if you get a glass from a autoparts store, make sure you get the shorter version as some shops label their 88-89 models one version (pillar mounted seatbelts) and 90-91 the shorter version ( door mounted seatbelts)
yes, this door seat belt crap gets confusing as 89 crx hf have the pillar mounted version while 89 si/dx are door mounted.

the 88-91 Si cable transmission are the best for quick acceleration around town.
the 92-95 si/ex hydro trans are also shorter ratio compared to its dx model however, the crx cable si trans definitely feels quicker. Be aware, if you're purchasing another trans, make sure your flywheel is compatible. i forget what it was but the flywheer has to match the clutch that matches the trans spline.

as for the surge, check for vacuum hoses that arent attached or missing or broken. then resort to cleaning out the iacv.
btw, wheels could be rota gt3 or knock off of those. doubt they're gabs but you never know.

Goodluck on it. its a ton of fun to drive.
- jim
ef yu

Postby CRXanatos » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:26 pm

All the stuff is here to fix the clutch for now I just gotta take an evening and actually do the work. Last night I adjusted the drums and it still feels loose so I'm gonna bleed the brakes next. I'm getting the glass from the company that supplies our glass for the shop so I get a wholesale price on a new glass (96$ for a new one, oem is like 230$).

Did some research on the "mini-me" swap, the d15b2 block has the same 9.2:1 compression as the d16z6 block so besides the .1 displacement difference I'm guessing the d15 block actually might synergize well with the z6 head? Car goes on a dyno July 19th which I'm really excited about I don't expect much from a single cam but I've never had a car dyno'd so I'm excited.

Been researching an '89 SI trans, found one near-ish to me in a junk yard for 400$, I can't find any listed privately as of this moment.

It's funny as I'm doing my research all the good informative threads come from this site.

More pictures of my 'Rex

And this is my 96 Integra LS I rebuilt

89 CRX DX
96 Integra LS
CRXanatos

Postby CRXanatos » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:07 pm

Update: Took it to my tuner. ECU was chipped (by him a long time ago oddly enough, he found his old insignia) and some of the caps are leaking. He says he can fix it for less than what a new one would be (100-150$) so that's exciting.

He had a pretty fast CRX back in his "day" and has done a lot of work on them, he says mine looks like an HF that has had some converting done to it. He said it's definitely an HF transmission which explains the super long gears, he said on a dyno it'll hit 100mph in 3rd gear and I believe it.

It is running rich, and the dizzy looks like it could use new guts. Among other things it has a coolant leak and the previous owner put WAYYY too much oil in it.

You can see the original color (silver) poking through at some points on the body and in the door jambs. He said a Silver HF would be pretty rare so I think when I do the body and paint I'll go back to silver.

Overall the car is running a little better, it still hesitates on launch sometimes and I've only had it over 5k rpms once just babying her until it's all corrected.

Funny story about the clutch I got my lightweight flywheel and didn't realize it was designed for the 90-00 style motor so my new clutch kit for an 89 wouldnt fit it. I ordered a 90 and it still didnt fit, so I went to auto zone this time and got a kit labeled for a 98 (weird bc i thought 90-2000 were all the same) and it finally fit the flywheel. So now it runs and drives fine it rattles a bit if I don't give it 2k rpms but I figured out how to launch it smoothly.
89 CRX DX
96 Integra LS
CRXanatos

Postby ef yu » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:29 am

i can guarantee you that its not an HF.
- jim
ef yu

Postby CRXanatos » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:10 pm

I guess it doesn't really matter either way. So I definitely want to bring the car back to Blade Silver and after the big car meet my crew is going to July 9th I'm probably stripping the car down for body and paint. My question now to you guys who know an infinite amount more than I do:

This car is pretty much EXACTLY what I want to do but since I have slips on my teggy im gonna keep the wheels it has now. I don't have mud flaps though and I was wondering if anyone had experience with aftermarket ones that were servicable
89 CRX DX
96 Integra LS
CRXanatos

Postby CRXanatos » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:55 pm

BIG NEWS! THE PROJECT IS STILL ALIVE!

Just been on the backburner. Snagged a complete D16z6 block with eagle rods and vitara pistons. got it cheap because the pistons were toast. Took it to a trusty machine shop down here called Pyramid Automotive and they tore it down, advised me to bore it out to get the sleeves even and balanced the crank for me.

People always ask me how I afford to mess with these cars on my own (even though we all know how cheap Hondas are) and it's mostly from parting out cars. I'm getting a complete 1990 Integra with a good B18a1 and 5 speed cable transmission as my next "victim".

So this puts me at kind of a quandary.

Should I A: Put my 75.5mm bore P29 pistons in my Z6 with a race cam and do a single cam "build" and flip the swap

or B: Throw the B18a1 in there and call it a day and get rid of my D series stuff

B series would ultimately be a little easier I think but I want to build a D series... I still need a cable SI transmission though. Idk honestly. I got options if you guys got experience with both I'd really like some opinions.
89 CRX DX
96 Integra LS
CRXanatos

Postby CRXanatos » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:01 pm

Picked up another parts car, 1994 Integra LS automatic with 103k miles and frame damage to the front. Only cost me 250$. So this gives me the disc conversion for the rear, and a better motor (and obd1) for the swap.

I'm going to use the manual transmission out of the 1990 Integra to keep it cable and pair it with the b18b1 and have a fun little car.

My best friend's dad is a 20+yr mechanic at tge local honda dealership so he's going to inspect and repair the transmission as needed, I drop it off tonight.

Next steps is pulling the b18b1 and rear suspension out of the other donor vehicle.

Are integra front brakes better than CRX and worth swapping?
89 CRX DX
96 Integra LS
CRXanatos

Postby ngrif2020 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:31 pm

Sorry, this doesn't really contribute to discussion, just thought it was hilarious that my roommate's name is Xan and I've never met anyone else that goes by Xan... He's also a really big car guy. Love your CRX btw
ngrif2020

Postby CRXanatos » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:53 pm

Annndddd the project lives on. Sold my automatic teggy and I'm working on selling the yellow shell. Just going to funnel all my resources into the CRX. It makes me the happiest of any of my Hondas I've had to this point. It's off the road for the moment though. My 90-91 b18a trans is in pretty bad shape and there's no gears available for it anymore so I'm going to use it just to get the car up and running because it does at least work.

I snagged a CRX shell for 250 beat half to death but it has a nice black interior (minus seats) and some other pieces I needed. And a racing seat i can use as a placeholder till i get a nicer one or reupholster the SI seats i recently purchased.

I've spent recent time putting a bluetop h23a in my buddies accord so now I'm back to my own projects.

I tore down the body, bodywork and paint is next. Silver (original color) with black trim, and painted wheels. Wheel color is TBD thinking either pink or lime green, something that screams "a kid built this thing and ruined it". Then its on to the swap.

I know the showroom is supposed to have lots of pictures so here it is.

How it was...

And the new seats + parts car
89 CRX DX
96 Integra LS
CRXanatos

Return to The Showroom