(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

nihkon's CRX

Show off your CRX. Member rides, pictures, project threads and galleries can go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: nihkon's CRX

Postby nihkon » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:54 pm

Even though I don't have updates with anything on the CRX, I do have a few pictures I can share.
These are from a canyon cruise that I did with some friends (including joey f. and Los.) on Christmas morning this past December.

nihkon

Postby CRXYSTYLE » Tue May 03, 2016 1:31 pm

Always happy to see my favorite CRX.
CRXYSTYLE

Postby BannisteR » Wed May 04, 2016 5:33 pm

Looking great as always sir! Photos and cars :-)b
*SUMOSPEED* *HIGHWAYSTAR*GARAGE*
http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=43933 <-- EF7 build/Japan Coverage!
90 EF7 CRX
09 Toyota 4Runner
BannisteR

Postby civicsir07 » Sun May 08, 2016 10:26 pm

pure sex!
civicsir07

Postby JustJesus » Wed May 25, 2016 6:51 pm

nihkon wrote:

daaaaamn. Those wheels look so good on that car. I'll stick to my Rotas. 7.5" wide, oh yeah

Just Racing
JustJesus

Postby nihkon » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:28 pm

CRXYSTYLE wrote:Always happy to see my favorite CRX.

BannisteR wrote: Forum rules

civicsir07 wrote:pure sex!

Thanks dudes!

JustJesus wrote:daaaaamn. Those wheels look so good on that car. I'll stick to my Rotas. 7.5" wide, oh yeah

I know! That's why I bought them from you! lol
nihkon

Postby nihkon » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:52 pm

Time for some more photos....
Last weekend I went on a canyon cruise with a few friends (JustJesus, dmlemus & fourthgenhatchb17.)

It started out as a rainy morning in Orange County:
From left to right:
Erik (fourthgenhatchb17), Me, Jesus (JustJesus). Since dmlemus' CRX is still knee-deep in project status, he spent the day as a passenger with Jesus and I)

From Orange County, we headed South along the coast, then inland towards Palomar. The windy climb up Palomar Mountain was foggy and wet. But soon we broke through it and found ourselves well above the clouds. This was out view from 5000+ft elevation:

The weather was much nicer at the top of the mountain:

From there, we headed down the mountain, on another fun, windy road. My mirrors were full of this:

...and this:

The twisty roads are fun for sure, but it's also nice to counter that with some straighter, higher-speed sections:

Next, we followed some more twisties, as we headed out towards the desert. This is a view point, overlooking Borrego Springs and Anza Borrego:

The view from here was pretty spectacular. It was a little to dusty to see it that day, but in the distance you can see Ocotillo Wells and the Salton Sea.

After sweating from the sub-100 degrees as we passed through the desert, we made our way up another curvy road and back up into the mountains...to visit the small mountain town of Julian, which is where we stopped for a late lunch. The weather was cloudy and wet yet again.

From there, we made the long trip back to Orange County. In the end, we logged almost 300 miles. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday with your friends.
nihkon

Postby hyperkick » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:15 am

:-)b :mrgreen: Pretty awesome! Glad to see the the Cr-x is getting out and being driven!
hyperkick

Postby Nar » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:43 pm

Oh man that looked like a freakin' fun day! :-)b
My CRX Si
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=43328
"And the CRX still wins on design; aerodynamic block sander beats lumpy egg every time."
Nar

Postby JustJesus » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:19 pm

Dude, your thread became a blog (or something?)

That was neat though. You took way more pics than I thought you did. I liked the story and pics. :-)b

Just Racing
JustJesus

Postby nihkon » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:50 pm

hyperkick wrote::-)b :mrgreen: Pretty awesome! Glad to see the the Cr-x is getting out and being driven!

Thanks dude! Yeah it's fun to get it out on the road from time to time. Can't let it rot away in the garage!

Nar wrote:Oh man that looked like a freakin' fun day! :-)b

It was! :D

JustJesus wrote:Dude, your thread became a blog (or something?)

That was neat though. You took way more pics than I thought you did. I liked the story and pics. :-)b

lol.
Thanks man. We'll have to start planning the next one!
nihkon

Postby nihkon » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:57 pm

I finally have a small update.
A couple years ago, I picked up a used PLM header. It's the Toda replica. I knew I wanted to get it coated before installing it, and I just kinda put that project on the back burner for a while. So it's just been sitting in the garage, collecting dust for a couple years.

Here's a [crummy] picture from when I first bought it:

It was in ok shape, other than a small dent on the bottom. But it wasn't very pretty.
I finally dropped it off at my local coater this week (the same shop that powdercoated and anodized all my engine bay and suspension parts in the past.) I went with black (with copper coating on the inside), to keep it low-key and to stick with my black theme.
Here is how it turned out:

And, of course, a new exhaust manifold gasket from Honda:

Next step....out to the garage to install it!
nihkon

Postby AZCRXSI » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:11 pm

Very nice. That looks so much better than when you picked it up.

Is that a Lego MINI I see? :-)b
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Bought on 10/01/11, with 228,116 miles.
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

Liquid Yellow 2005 MINI Cooper S (Daily Driver)
AZCRXSI

Postby umop3plsdn3dlus » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:13 am

Looking good, there's something about a matte/flat black finish that just looks awesome to me.
Dustin - Central Texas
umop3plsdn3dlus

Postby nihkon » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:11 am

umop3plsdn3dlus wrote:Looking good, there's something about a matte/flat black finish that just looks awesome to me.

Thanks! I think it's more of a satin finish. Juuuust a slight amount of sheen.

AZCRXSI wrote:Very nice. That looks so much better than when you picked it up.

Is that a Lego MINI I see? :-)b

Thanks dude!
And yup....that's my Lego Mini:

I also recently picked up the Lego VW:

nihkon

Postby AZCRXSI » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:48 am

Those are awesome!

Need to look into those... Knew about the MINI being out there... But the Samba bus is new to me.

Very cool.
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Bought on 10/01/11, with 228,116 miles.
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

Liquid Yellow 2005 MINI Cooper S (Daily Driver)
AZCRXSI

Postby JustJesus » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:04 pm

Funny timing. I'm literally going over those Lego pics as my co-worker Andrew walks by and tells me, "My Lego Porsche just arrived...come look at it"

Just Racing
JustJesus

Postby nihkon » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:19 pm

AZCRXSI wrote:Those are awesome!

Need to look into those... Knew about the MINI being out there... But the Samba bus is new to me.

Very cool.

The VW has been out for a bunch of years now actually. The Mini was around 2-ish years ago.
But yeah, check it out man. It was a fun build. I'll get to-rebuild the VW soon, since my daughter loves to play with my Lego's....and when I say "play", I mean disassemble. lol

JustJesus wrote:Funny timing. I'm literally going over those Lego pics as my co-worker Andrew walks by and tells me, "My Lego Porsche just arrived...come look at it"

Well Andrew is a fancy guy! If it's the Technic Porsche that just came out...that thing is pricey!
nihkon

Postby justinw » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:01 pm

Haven't been by in a while but I always like to see what you're up to Nihkon. Glad you still use the CRX on the track.

I also am a big lego fan and have the VW camper van. Good times can be had with Lego as an adult, too!
Silver 87 CRX hf - vandalized
Flint black 91 CRX Si - wrecked/sold
Flint black 90 CRX Si - sold
2012 VW GTI - sold
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i
justinw

Postby nihkon » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:25 pm

I don't know if I'd say that I "still use the CRX on the track".....as it's been about 2.5 years since my tires have touched the asphalt of a race track. lol
But...I do plan to finally get back out there soon. If all goes as planned, hopefully in a couple months.

And yeah man, Lego's are pretty fun. I'd taken a long long break from them...then just got back into them about 4 years ago, mostly due to the Lego Architecture series.
nihkon

Postby dmlemus » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:15 pm

The finish on that header looks great! :-)b
89 CRX Si Build Thread
http://www.crxcommunity.com/vi...29182

B R I D G E P O R T • B U I L T

"Painting is an infinitely minute part of my personality."
-Salvador Dali

Check out my Store!
http://onpointcali.bigcartel.com/

J's Racing /// Active Traction Service /// SunLine Racing
dmlemus

Postby nihkon » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:45 am

dmlemus wrote:The finish on that header looks great! :-)b

Thanks Dani!

As for the installation of the header.....
Well, it turns out that my Jimfab crossmember is positioned in such a way that there's no way to fit the header between the crossmember and the engine block. So that means that I'd need to remove the crossmember before I can install the header. Bummer.

So while I'm laying on my back, looking up at all that crap...I was thinking about how I had wanted to swap out my oil pan to a Moroso unit, with the baffles and with the ports for gauge sensors. I figured, if I have to remove the header to replace the oil pan, and the crossmember has to come out to remove the header.....then I guess now would be the time to replace my oil pan! lol

Annnd so I ended up picking a new Moroso oil pan and oem gasket:

Here is a picture of the oil pan mounted:
(And it's a little teaser of the header installed too)
(you can also see the rod ends for the radius rods hanging there. I hadn't yet re-installed the crossmember at the time of the photo.)

Since that got me thinking about gauges, I figured I'd finally re-hookup my old Defi gauges that I was running with my old D16 (I never wired/plumbed them to the B18c5 yet.) My oil pressure sensor had previously been plumbed to an oil sandwich plate adapter with my D16, but I couldn't re-use it, since it probably had pieces of metal floating around in it after the D16 blew up. So I picked up a new one from Mishimoto:

I don't remember if I specifically mentioned it back during my D16 build...but that sender unit for the Defi oil pressure gauge....I had a custom line made to connect it to the oil sandwich adapter (since, otherwise, you'd end up threading the sender directly to it, and you run the risk of it vibrating and coming lose/breaking off.) Anyway, since I can't remember if I already posted pics of it back then, here are a couple pictures of it now:

(It's the oil line with the red cap in it) (And the sender unit for the gauge on the bottom-right)

Just for reference, here is that line when it was attached on my old D16:

And here is how I have the sender unit attached to the firewall:
(The other black box mounted to the firewall was the sender unit for my old Defi boost gauge, back when I was moving forward with the turbo project on that D16)
nihkon

Postby nihkon » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:53 am

The fun didn't end there though....
Also while I was under the CRX diagnosing and thinking about all those things in the previous post....I noticed that my driver-side inner axle boot was torn, and grease was everywhere. Yay!
So I exchanged a couple of Napa axles that I had laying around, and replaced the driver side for now (I'll replace the passenger side soon too, just so that they both match (And it's easier to keep track of when things have been replaced if they're both done at the same time.))
Sorry, no pics of the axle. But, I mean, it's an axle. lol

With all my track prep I've been doing (oh, did I forget to mention that all this new-found motivation to work on the CRX again is due to an upcoming track day? lol), next on my list is new tires. When I bought the SSR's from JustJesus, he had been running Federal 595R's. He seemed to like them, and I would have been more than willing to give them a go out on the track...but they were pretty worn out. TireRack to the rescue, and a new set of Hancook RS3's showed up at my door. They're the same size I was running before, 205/45/16.

I love getting car parts shipped to the office, but these things really stunk up the place! haha
nihkon

Postby vanrij » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:12 am

Oh man this is exciting! I need to follow suit and get back on the track. No better motivator once you are actually out there driving it. Let us know how you find the RS3's I've heard good things about them.
vanrij

Postby nihkon » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:39 am

Yeah, it'll be interesting to give them a try. All I've ever run on track before are my old RE-11's, and I thought those were pretty decent.
The RS3's are a little "old" now. They were the hot [crud] (at least within the 200TW category) back when I was tracking the CRX before (about 3+ years ago). I think there are newer tires that people prefer to run now (say, like, the RE-11's replacements....the RE-71's.) I ended up with the RS3's because they were a bit cheaper than the RE-71's ($117 each vs $150 each.) But I'm sure the RS3's will still be a pretty good tire for me. I'm not at the level of needing anything stickier than that anyway.
nihkon

PreviousNext

Return to The Showroom