(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Nar's RRR (rio red rex) Pics updated

Show off your CRX. Member rides, pictures, project threads and galleries can go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Nar's RRR (rio red rex) Pics updated

Postby stelios » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:45 pm

I'm absolutely down for a meet. Sunday evenings are usually best for me, what about you guys?
froggy_prelude wrote:do u have a vigiana :D

-Angelo-
1991 Rio Red CRX Si
'91 CRX Si Build
stelios

Postby HunnyBunny » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:24 pm

I think I can make a Sunday evening work. Depends on what's going on with my mother really - I spend a lot of time helping her out and we're just waiting on a few things to go from there.

We can make it work I'm sure!
HunnyBunny

Postby Nar » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:26 pm

Whoa long time no update. :) How's everyone doing? I'm gonna just go ahead an start with pictures.
We have very limited parking at the studio we work at so me and my buddy found a way to maximize the space. :) One of the last photos i took of the CRX before i sent him of for these.
These parts were a long time coming so there was a pretty long down time, about 2 weeks. Some engine parts were also in the mix, nothing special just maintenance and replacement.

So in the time the car was down one of the things i got to do was drive my buddies Mini! I'm a huge fan of the original Mini so this was quite a special occasion. :D
This particular Mini has an 1100 cc engine making about 65 hp. 10:1 compression and straight cut gears. Its sounds like an RC car because of the straight cut gears. It may not seem like much but because its so light it picks up fast. :D
So i'm just gonna say that this car was ridiculously fun. Makes me want an old school mini. This thing is insane in corners, just eats it up like nothing. Super agile and really just puts a smile on you face. I was grinning ear to ear. :D

After all that fun stuff and driving my girlfriends car for about 2 weeks, yesterday was finally the day. :) Went to excitedly pick up the car. First of all, it feels like a completely different car so i have not a lot to say yet as i've only driven it a total of 30km. From my short time driving it i can say the engine is sounding and pulling better, the HKS exhaust was just what i was looking for sound wise and jesus christ the koni and gc combo is awesome. Some photos.
Oh and it looks pretty awesome sitting a bit lower. Its at mid setting right now for road clearance, gonna wait for the springs to settle and then go from there. Thats all for now. Need to drive the car around a bit more and get reacquainted. :-)b
Last edited by Nar on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
My CRX Si
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=43328
"And the CRX still wins on design; aerodynamic block sander beats lumpy egg every time."
Nar

Postby Robb » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:58 pm

The car looks too much like mine... not good.
Why are you copying me ? :lol:
Robb

Postby daveb91 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:01 pm

Canadians..
daveb91

Postby Robb » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:20 pm

daveb91 wrote:Canadians..

Yup, Canada, the country above the U.S.

:nod:

J/K

PS: Can you keep your guns south of the border ??? :yuck:
Robb

Postby daveb91 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:23 pm

Robb wrote:
daveb91 wrote:Canadians..

Yup, Canada, the country above the U.S.

:nod:

J/K

PS: Can you stop allowing guns getting into Canada ? :yuck:

No speeds up Darwin's theory..eh?

That's a nice mini I don't see very many of them around here....probably only 4 originals ever...what's the year? Oh and always, nice crx.
daveb91

Postby Nar » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:33 am

:D
Robb wrote:The car looks too much like mine... not good.
Why are you copying me ? :lol:

:) :D Hahaha, sorry Robb i might be in the same looks department for another year as another set of rims are really low on my list. I will say my car is no where as clean as yours.
daveb91 wrote:No speeds up Darwin's theory..eh?

That's a nice mini I don't see very many of them around here....probably only 4 originals ever...what's the year? Oh and always, nice crx.

Thanks Dave! :) The Mini is believe it or not a 1989 model. Haha he changed the grill out to a mark 1 grill for an even more vintage look. There's quite a huge Mini community here in Vancouver but they mostly only come out in the summer, if theres one car that likes to rust more than a CRX its a Mini.
My CRX Si
"And the CRX still wins on design; aerodynamic block sander beats lumpy egg every time."
Nar

Postby stelios » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Car is looking great, no more monster truck status :-)b Are you missing your window visor off the driver side?
froggy_prelude wrote:do u have a vigiana :D

-Angelo-
1991 Rio Red CRX Si
'91 CRX Si Build
stelios

Postby Nar » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:02 pm

stelios wrote:Car is looking great, no more monster truck status :-)b Are you missing your window visor off the driver side?

Lol thanks man, finally! The koni/gc/ poly bushing combo has been amazing thus far. I'm continually surprised by how planted the car is. Yeah the driver side window visor is at home waiting for some new 3m tape. I've just been a little bit lazy. :D Hahahaha

Ninja edit: How was the auto cross you went to? I forgot to ask about it and also work has been kicking my ass lately, really eats into my weekends.
My CRX Si
Nar

Postby nvroutgund » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:13 pm

Car is looking good man! Probably handles a lot better, Im sure youre happy. Btw I tried your write up on fixing the rear hatch leak... Yeah.... Didnt seem to even to slow it down. Very discouraging.
D16 '87 CRX--will be missed
1991 CRX Si--current love

Check her out! viewtopic.php?f=26&t=60943&p=651239#p651239
nvroutgund

Postby Nar » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks man! It handles amazingly now, was quite a difference from how the CRX drove before the upgrade.

About the hatch leak, damn bro that does suck. I would try and check it over again, after you clean the indent there will be dark looking lines on the sealant (might be harder to see because your car is black) . It took me awhile to realize they were actually cracks. Also where is you're leak coming from now after the rain guard fix.

Mine used to drop from where the hatch struts were, but after the fix that stopped. I still have a little bit of water in the trunk but now its from bad tail light gaskets that i eventually hope to address, in the next month or so. Also you have a rear nozzle for windshield washer, while i have never experienced it personally it apparently also can leak when its raining. Hang in there man, you'll find it one of these days. :) :-)b
My CRX Si
Nar

Postby TYetti » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:36 pm

Haha I was wondering when this was going to pop up saw your car at Kevin's the other day before I went out of town for work and the giant pile of goodies :-)b

Looks awesome welcome to the koni club FYI you are now required to do second gear pulls around the many roundabouts in town :twisted:
TYetti

Postby Nar » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:38 pm

Thanks Mat! Kevin is a life saver! Hahaha, I've been back to most corners around town that used to be a problem, mostly the long sweeping ones and the CRX did awesome. I was excited for the NW6 meet but now i cant make it because of work, gonna try to make it out for the BC CRX meet though. :-)b

How's you're new engine coming along? :mrgreen:
My CRX Si
Nar

Postby TYetti » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:16 pm

Ya nw6 is too far and ya I have to work too but I'll be at BC crx :)

Slowly right now I'm working on things that need immediate attention, suspension, climate control, exhaust etc / saving for valve train and machine work on the head!!! It'll probably be another year before its ready but I'm not in a hurry most of this years budget is blown and a new dd will eat up the rest
TYetti

Postby dustinscrx » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:29 pm

Great build bro! nice work so far. although......more low. haha :-)b :bounce:
dustinscrx

Postby Nar » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:47 pm

TYetti wrote:Ya nw6 is too far and ya I have to work too but I'll be at BC crx :)

Slowly right now I'm working on things that need immediate attention, suspension, climate control, exhaust etc / saving for valve train and machine work on the head!!! It'll probably be another year before its ready but I'm not in a hurry most of this years budget is blown and a new dd will eat up the rest

Nice, yeah best not to rush things anyways. :D What new dd we're you looking to get?
dustinscrx wrote:Great build bro! nice work so far. although......more low. haha :-)b :bounce:

Thanks Dustin. :D It would definitely look more awesome but i might stay at this ride height for now. If and when i do make it to auto-x this summer i will take pictures of it sitting lower, but for now it is perfect for driving around town. Specially cause the roads around Vancouver aren't in the greatest condition right now. :D
My CRX Si
Nar

Postby H22_CRX » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:16 pm

Cars looking good man, I'm loving the mini also. keep it up.. :-)b
72k Rex restoration!
http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=46596 <-------Check it out!
H22_CRX

Postby AZCRXSI » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:19 pm

Nice to see all the goodies made it to your CRX Nar! Looks geat!

Gotta love the classic MINI. Fun to throw around!

New MINis need love too! hahaha

The new MINIs are a lot of fun but still cannot reach the fun factor on 10 inch wheels (classics)!
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Bought on 10/01/11, with 228,116 miles.
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

Liquid Yellow 2005 MINI Cooper S (Daily Driver)
AZCRXSI

Postby Nar » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:11 pm

H22_CRX wrote:Cars looking good man, I'm loving the mini also. keep it up.. :-)b

Thanks man! Gotta keep up with all the awesome builds in the community. There has been an influx of great looking CRX's lately. :) Looking forward to seeing more of your new pick up. :D
AZCRXSI wrote:Nice to see all the goodies made it to your CRX Nar! Looks geat!

Gotta love the classic MINI. Fun to throw around!

New MINis need love too! hahaha

The new MINIs are a lot of fun but still cannot reach the fun factor on 10 inch wheels (classics)!

Thanks Dude! Its been a long time coming for those parts to get on the car! I should remember to take a video of the hks for you this weekend. Check back soon. :-)b

The mini is super fun, i hate to admit but it actually is definitely more fun than the CRX. :D New minis are pretty sweet as well and that is a great photo of your's. I will say though it definitely has more creature comforts rather than the original mini's crude and minimal approach to transportation. Coincidentally also the reason it was a much funner car than it should have been. :)

Anything new on the CRX front?
My CRX Si
Nar

Postby nvroutgund » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:20 pm

Nar wrote:
Also where is you're leak coming from now after the rain guard fix?

Mine used to drop from where the hatch struts were, but after the fix that stopped. I still have a little bit of water in the trunk but now its from bad tail light gaskets that i eventually hope to address, in the next month or so. Also you have a rear nozzle for windshield washer, while i have never experienced it personally it apparently also can leak when its raining.

It's still leaking from the same spots. Hatch struts on both sides, and from the dome light. I think the dome light leak is from the sunroof drain tubes being clogged? Haven't looked into it, felt very defeated after the hatch fix didn't work and haven't messed with the dome light.

I don't believe the washer nozzle is a variable in this situation, because it was painted onto the car. Tacky move from the body guy, yes, but thankfully it's a black car so it doesn't look stupid, and I would venture to say that washer nozzle is now water tight.

I have two possible solutions for the hatch, haven't made up my mind on which one I'm going to use.

1: Take the hatch off the car, remove and clean most of the seam sealer in the area and re-seam seal everything. That way I don't have to worry about tracking down each little crack in the sealer, just recover everything and it should work in theory. That will probably take me a full weekend to perform.

2: Mask everything off and use some of that flex seal stuff, friend of mine had some issues with his Integra leaking water and he blasted it with that stuff and voila, no more water. This route is definitely easier, but I don't think I could be as thorough with the hatch still on the car. We'll see.

nvroutgund

Postby Nar » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Dang i' have some areas that i would have missed that weren't under the rainguard. I'll take a few pictures of it for you later today. :-)b

Both those ideas sound like a good approach provided time is not an issue i would even say it would be the better thing to do. Taking the hatch of would definitely better for working around that area, i have small hands and i had trouble working in and around the hatch. Good luck man i'll put some more pictures of said area later tonight. :D :-)b
My CRX Si
Nar

Postby Nar » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:26 pm

Okay so here we go. These are right near the top two cornes of the hatch right after the rainguards.
See that line there just underneath the round rubber plug? The horizontal line not the vertical. I had a lot of these that i thought were just caked on dirt. But upon closer inspection its actually a crack that looks like this.
This is actually a new one that i just discovered while taking these pictures, while its doesn't leak water into the car yet i'm gonna go ahead and cover that up as well. :D
These black spots after the rainguard are all small cracks similar to the top ones that i covered up. Doesn't look good but at least it stops the leaking. :D In a year or two when i get the car repainted i'll make sure it looks better. :mrgreen:
Hope this helps dude and good luck with the fix! Let me know how it turns out. :) :-)b
Nar

Postby nvroutgund » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:59 pm

You are so helpful and I really appreciate it! And youre right, its much harder for me to see those cracks because the car is black. Im thinking Im just going to have to seal bomb the [crud] out of everything because Ill probably never find each crack individually. Have you had any issues or heard anything about water coming in from the hatch hinges up at the very top? Thanks again bro! :-)b

nvroutgund

Postby Nar » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:30 am

nvroutgund wrote:You are so helpful and I really appreciate it! And youre right, its much harder for me to see those cracks because the car is black. Im thinking Im just going to have to seal bomb the [crud] out of everything because Ill probably never find each crack individually. Have you had any issues or heard anything about water coming in from the hatch hinges up at the very top? Thanks again bro! :-)b

No problem at all man. :) Glad to be of some help. The black paint certainly makes it harder to locate the cracks.
As for the top hinges, i cant say that i have heard of leaks coming from there. The most common ones are the sunroof drains being plugged followed by the cracks under the rainguards and if there is pooling in the trunk compartment then its probably tail light gasket. Hope the leak gets sorted out soon. :) :-)b
My CRX Si
Nar

PreviousNext

Return to The Showroom