(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

BannisteR's '90 EF7 a slow and painful build...

Show off your CRX. Member rides, pictures, project threads and galleries can go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: BannisteR's '90 EF7 Back from Japan with a few updates

Postby BannisteR » Wed May 04, 2016 5:21 pm

*** STUPID SILVIA ***

Once again the Silvia has taken my funds/time/patience. I took it out for a drive and while cruising down the highway it started sputtering.. I pulled off and started troubleshooting. being that it was a misfire/sputter I went straight to the coil packs and plugs. Pulled all of them inspected the coil packs and cleaned the spark plugs (weren't dirty but just to be safe) swapped around coil packs as well and still no change. I checked the ECU and it was throwing a code for knock sensor. At that point I had it towed home. Discouraged and pissed off I let the car sit for about two weeks before taking a look at it. Troubleshot for a good two weeks, changing out parts, cleaning, checking continuity and voltages. I swapped parts out with known good to include MAF, ECU, Knock sensor, Plugs, Temp Sensor, ignition module, relays.... And then compression test with 0psi on cylinder #4. Then did a leakdown test to find that the exhaust side was leaking right through. So with that I had it with the CA motor, this is #2 and rebuilding this one is not what I wanted to do. I had found a great deal on a slight upgrade and picked up and S15 SR20 with 6 speed trans.

*** CRX UPDATES ***

In that deal I also sourced a complete EF7 wiring harness that had power options as well as a cleaner set of doors in preparation for less bodywork. Now I'm not needing to hack up the harness to attempt to wire in power windows.

vanrij wrote:Nice find on the Spoon reclinable seat. Those are hard to come by! I hope you find another one, but if not your Recaros are pretty bad ass too.
Yeah man for sure, I may have found a bucket but now to make the decision to sell my Recaros to get this bucket.
Hondateam wrote:Would you like to see my CRX?
uh...
*SUMOSPEED* *HIGHWAYSTAR*GARAGE*
http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=43933 <-- EF7 build/Japan Coverage!
90 EF7 CRX
89 S13 Silvia K's
BannisteR

This too shall pass...

Postby BannisteR » Tue May 24, 2016 1:36 pm

I now remember again why I hated pulling the dash to access the old harness... I started pulling everything from the firewall again the get to all the plugs and connectors as well as get access to the silly plastic fasteners that don't want to leave the car holding the harness in. As I'm pulling everything I'm noticing ways I want to upgrade or fix a few things on the car. Figuring out what holes I'll be using on the car wasn't the goal last time I did this, all I did was pull everything to prep for paint in the engine bay. Well since having the motor in and seeing what I'll be using and won't be using I can clean up the bay that much more now. I'm also going to ditch the Hasport cable to hydro setup and make my own hydro setup since no companies make RHD kits. I'll be moving the fuse box to the cabin since the whole harness is out of the car anyways. I've created a little more work for myself but in the end I'll be much happier with the outcome. I've also picked up an HF rear hatch so there is no wiper hole and the portion on the trunk itself wasn't all dented up like mine is :|

These doors and the "new" harness are what started the tear down, and I'm glad it happened, kind of...

A little of the organized mess going on in the garage :|

I also picked up the Integra pedal kit from Strut King. Dead pedal I'll be doing something a little different but you get the idea...

Can't go without a good bay shot :wink:

More to come as new parts come in
http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=43933 <-- EF7 build/Japan Coverage!
90 EF7 CRX
89 S13 Silvia K's
BannisteR

Re: BannisteR's '90 EF7 a slow and painful build...

Postby tommy » Tue May 24, 2016 2:18 pm

Be careful with the screws that come with that Strut King pedal assembly. I have their dead pedal on my EP3, and the screws are not stainless, and rust bled all over the place. That reminds me - I have to get some stainless screws. :D
1990 ZcSi
tommy

Postby BannisteR » Tue May 24, 2016 2:28 pm

tommy wrote:Be careful with the screws that come with that Strut King pedal assembly. I have their dead pedal on my EP3, and the screws are not stainless, and rust bled all over the place. That reminds me - I have to get some stainless screws. :D

Thanks for the heads up, I don't plan on using the supplied hardware as I plan to rivet them in.
90 EF7 CRX
89 S13 Silvia K's
BannisteR

Postby vanrij » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:28 pm

Nice to see work getting done on the CRX. Those plastic harness fasteners are a pain! It took me HOURS to pull a regular USDM Si harness without breaking them, I cannot image pulling it all for a RHD.
vanrij

Postby BannisteR » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:43 am

Not too many updates as Ive been working on getting the Silvia straightened out from the S15 swap. Everything seems to be working as it should for it so I can focus on the CRX. Ive been cleaning up a few things here and there in the car and with that painting some of the old parts that were looking a little rough.
I painted the pedal set after drilling into them to fit the Strut King pedals. I didn't want to use the included hardware for a couple of reasons. The hardware included is cheap and rusts easily (as tommy stated) I decided to use rivets. Gives it a cleaner look over the philips screws included in the kit.

Finally got my harness in, after sending it back the first time its finally right and will clean up the bay that much more. I also got the K-tuned S2000 cluster converter and Cluster pigtails for the conversion.

More updates as progress happens!

vanrij wrote:Nice to see work getting done on the CRX. Those plastic harness fasteners are a pain! It took me HOURS to pull a regular USDM Si harness without breaking them, I cannot image pulling it all for a RHD.

It's a real pain but it will pay off in the end :-)b
90 EF7 CRX
89 S13 Silvia K's
BannisteR

Postby BannisteR » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:29 am

Back with a few updates, its been a long ass time since being on here :shock:

I found a guy that made a hydraulic master bracket for the CRX, similar design to the Soja1. The bracket was a little bigger than I liked so I cut it down to just the size of the OEM Honda master cylinder and trimmed up where there was excess metal that wasn't necessary. I also had to cut a little bit of the sheet metal away so it would fit with the pedals bolted in. Cutting that portion out won't effect it structurally because the bar that crosses over the steering column supports that portion as well. Now to figure out where to mount the reservoir, inside the cabin or in the bay...
(sorry for the lame phone pics :| )

Some better quality pics installed

I have a couple more updates I'll post up later. Also I'm selling the S13, its been fun but I need to focus on just the CRX. Once the Silvia is gone I'll get the CRX re-tuned, torn down for the last time to go to paint and then its final assembly!
90 EF7 CRX
89 S13 Silvia K's
BannisteR

Postby tommy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:30 am

BannisteR wrote:I'll get the CRX torn down for the last time

You don't expect us to believe that, do you? :P

Good luck with the sale; hopefully you'll get as much out of it as you want.
1990 ZcSi
tommy

Postby daveb91 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:31 am

Glad to see it still progressing
daveb91

Postby BannisteR » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:44 am

Finally got around to taking pics of a few parts on the car that have been laying around in the house. OEM Acura ITR valve cover, swapped to a Gen2 Spoon spark plug cover, installed both intake and exhaust manifold studs with titanium studs and hardware from SpeedFactory, Koyo radiator and also swapped to a Spoon header.

Looking at this picture really disappoints me, the bumper support isn't level :|

I'm finally working on the chassis harness, so hopefully I'll have that finished soon!

tommy wrote:You don't expect us to believe that, do you? :P
Good luck with the sale; hopefully you'll get as much out of it as you want.

lol, I mean as far as getting it together for a retune and paint. I'm sure there will be another teardown in its lifetime.
daveb91 wrote:Glad to see it still progressing

Thank you and same here. It's been too long.
90 EF7 CRX
89 S13 Silvia K's
BannisteR

Postby BannisteR » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:16 am

I've been finishing up the cabin harness for the car, since there were a few plugs not being used in the engine bay with running the new engine harness I moved them to where they won't be seen. I also decided to move the fuse box into the cabin above where the ECU will be. I'm not going for a fully shaved and tucked bay, just a clean and simplified look to it. I'll get pictures of it here shortly as well as a couple other updates :o
90 EF7 CRX
89 S13 Silvia K's
BannisteR

Postby Josip » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:29 pm

It's crazy to see someone's so pedantlic. Keep up with the good work! :-)b
Josip

Postby BannisteR » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:28 pm

Hey whats up guys, here's what I've been up to. I wrapped up my harness for the cabin and chassis. What a real pain in the ass. I decided that I wanted the fuse box in the cabin instead of the bay. being RHD a whole lot had to be cut and extended for that to be an option. It turned out pretty well, as I continued to progress in the harness I got more and more comfortable with what I was doing.
I'm sure you've noticed the one Spoon reclineable seat I have for the car. Well I was fortunate enough to be at the right place at the right time and came across a Spoon bucket seat. So the bucket is for me and the reclineable is for passenger. I need to now ind a set of seat rails for both seats since I sold the Bride ones a few months ago. I also picked up a set of Cusco EK door bars. Cusco never made any for the EF chassis so since I picked these up for the price I did, I have no issues modifying them to fit the EF chassis :thumbup:
So I test fit the seats and door bars to get an idea on how they'll fit. I also mounted up my mishimoto coolant overflow tank. I'm not a fan of the bracket they provided so I'll be having something else a little more sturdy made up for it to fit better.

Interior-ish...

And a dirty bay shot

Josip wrote:It's crazy to see someone's so pedantlic. Keep up with the good work! :-)b

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words!
90 EF7 CRX
89 S13 Silvia K's
BannisteR

Good things on the way!

Postby BannisteR » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:30 pm

The S13 Has Been Sold!!!

So car #4 has come an gone since owning the CRX, this time there is no replacement, it is the CRX! I really need to get it together and order all that I need to do so because this year it will be up, running, registered and best of all painted!

One of a few pieces ordered: AC delete :-)b

Plenty more on the way and will update as more progress is made.
90 EF7 CRX
89 S13 Silvia K's
BannisteR

Previous

Return to The Showroom