Honda CRX Forum banner

B53p's K20 CRX (Update RACECAR)

125K views 654 replies 116 participants last post by  crxvtec91 
#1 ·
So I want to say hi to my fellow CRX lover's out there. This it what I have put my CRX through over the 6 years I've had her. The first picture is right after I put my first GSR in it. Right now I am in the process of repainting it and yes this is an original B53p celestial blue pearl CRX it was painted white by the previous owner's because the paint was fading and white was the cheapest color. So please enjoy and you can't hurt my feelings so feel free to say what you want. :lol:

IN WYOMING FOR SCHOOL

I CAN'T DRIVE IN SNOW I FOUND OUT

MY FIRST JDM FRONT (HALF ZC HALF SIR)

WENT TURBO

PAINTED THE BAY BLACK WHEN I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO PAINT THE CAR BLACK

310WHP @8.2 PSI AND AN 11.8@118.83

EDM FOG

HYDRO CLUTCH

COMPLETE MAKE OVER TIME!

BLOCK BREATHER FITTINGS WELDED TO -10 AN LINE

AS IT IS TODAY

NEW BRAKES

BEFORE THE FACE LIFT

LET THE FACE LIFT BEGAN!!

HONDAPARTSNOW.COM <3

BRAND NEW SIR FRONT BUMPER

NEW DOOR (RUST FREE)

FIXING RUST

PRIMER FENDERS

THATS WHERE ITS AT RIGHT NOW, THANKS FOR LOOKING! :)b

See less See more
1 74
#629 ·
Thanks crxvtec91, I'm still waiting on an update from the shop about the cage. I thought I'd show you guys the other car I've bought... It's not a honda :wink:

I bought the FR-S because my girlfriends (future wife) Civic was stolen and we needed a car that could be trusted to be left out side. Plus I've wanted one sense they came out. Heres my girlfriends OLD civic VX

#631 ·
I love the FR-S, granted it's not fast in a straight line but in the corners is a different story! The way this thing feels in stock form is comparable to a track prepped car! I plan on getting another set of rims and tires so that I can take it out to the track and finally let my girlfriend get some seat time in. She's been riding with me on track for over a year now so it's not like she'd be very lost her first time out :)b

#633 ·
That would be awesome if you could get her involved! I'm lucky because my girlfriend loved cars before I met her! Shes been wanting to get on track for a long time but I don't want her to drive my CRX because it won't let her learn as much as a stock car would.

#635 ·
B53p said:
That would be awesome if you could get her involved! I'm lucky because my girlfriend loved cars before I met her! Shes been wanting to get on track for a long time but I don't want her to drive my CRX because it won't let her learn as much as a stock car would.
I guess your the lucky one :lol: 8) :)b

#636 ·
vanrij said:
Great color on the FR-S! Are you going to put yellow wheels on it :D
I am going to get another set of stock wheels... we'll see if the happen to change color :wink:
crxvtec91 said:
B53p said:
I guess your the lucky one :lol: 8) :)b
Hahaha, Thanks She's a keeper.

My cage is finally done! Here are the pictures!

As it was being finished

My new seat mount! the old mounts were drilled at their spot welds and taken out and they made this new one which honestly I think is the coolest part that TSCustoms in Phoenix AZ made for my car! It contours with the floor too so there are no gaps!

The Nascar door bar on my drivers side! It's so close the the door skin that I had to stick a piece of paper in-between them to make sure they weren't touching when the door was closed.

And the finished pictures!!

They saved my windshield too!

Did someone say Headroom?

Passenger door bar

B pillar

A pillar floor mount

B pillar floor mount

I bet this point is strong!

I also finally needed new brakes, Here are my replacement pads. They're just the same ones I had before which are Hawk DTC-60 if you don't remember. These are the ones that throw sparks :)b

I still have to go through and fix my wiring mess and now there isn't a place to mount the drivers fuse box because the stuff it mounted to was taken out. I will also show the old pads because they did last a year of tracking. My next event should be the 24th-25th if all goes to plan!

#639 ·
B53p said:
I love the FR-S, granted it's not fast in a straight line but in the corners is a different story! The way this thing feels in stock form is comparable to a track prepped car! I plan on getting another set of rims and tires so that I can take it out to the track and finally let my girlfriend get some seat time in. She's been riding with me on track for over a year now so it's not like she'd be very lost her first time out :)b
True story on those BRZ/FRS. I was just at the track (road course) last weekend in my stock-engine B18c CRX. On the straights, I would pull away from them, but they would always catch back up in the corners. About the only way I could slowly, and I mean SLOWLY, keep gaining an advantage was to use the lightweight advantage of my car to keep my speed up in the corners. If I didn't hit every corner perfect, the FRS would catch back up, even if they didn't perfect the corner. I have a new respect for them... Even though the headroom sucks X_X

#640 ·
EF RaceRR said:
B53p said:
True story on those BRZ/FRS. I was just at the track (road course) last weekend in my stock-engine B18c CRX. On the straights, I would pull away from them, but they would always catch back up in the corners. About the only way I could slowly, and I mean SLOWLY, keep gaining an advantage was to use the lightweight advantage of my car to keep my speed up in the corners. If I didn't hit every corner perfect, the FRS would catch back up, even if they didn't perfect the corner. I have a new respect for them... Even though the headroom sucks X_X
Is the head room any worse then a 350z? I have a hard time driving a 350, knees in the dash and head hitting the roof.........

#641 ·
Hi,

a few words from France. I spent some time this morning browsing your build and that's a fantastic job you're doing on the CRX :)b .

K20 EF CRX are not so common and this is also nice to watch such a build made with quality. Thanks for all your pics and explanations.

#642 ·
AZCRXSI said:
Cool pics! The cage looks good! Busy guy with both cars! hehe

Do you know, or can you estimate how much weight this cage adds to the vehicle? I am curious...

Looks like they did a great job.
It has been a busy summer that's for sure! I'm super happy with the cage and the place that did it!

I can't say how much the cage has added because I haven't done much with it over the summer. I did drive it around and I can tell there is a big difference with the new cage. I'll be going to a event on the 23rd so I'll get to see how everything feels for real!
crxvtec91 said:
Wow that cage is crazy looking!
Yeah! Most of it was the fab guys idea.
EF RaceRR said:
B53p said:
That's great! Having to focus on your cornering is a huge thing! I was doing it when I was using my 96 civic on track. The FRS/BRZ just makes cornering easier so the people driving them don't need as much skill as other cars require to take a corner fast. Keep up the good driving though!

As for the head room crxvtec91, I think it has a good amount of head room. I'm 5'10" and I don't feel like i'm anywhere close to the head liner.
yogi said:
Hi,

a few words from France. I spent some time this morning browsing your build and that's a fantastic job you're doing on the CRX :)b .

K20 EF CRX are not so common and this is also nice to watch such a build made with quality. Thanks for all your pics and explanations.
Merci beaucoup pour votre message. Alors si vous voulez plus des explications ou details sur mon "build", demandez-moi! Excusez moi pour mes erreurs en francais mais je ne l'utilise jamais haha.

So just a couple things have happened, I did brakes and got some NT-01's for the RPF1's. The brakes were an eye opener. here are the pads that came off, left side was on the passenger side while the right side was on the drivers side. I will be replacing the caliper on the drivers side and fully bleeding the brakes to hopefully fix this problem.

here are the new rotors on, I like these rotors but I need to do air ducting because they need to stay cooler then what they've been at.I would like them to last longer and not to crack on me.

Pads, rotors and caliper are on. :)b

Here is a picture of when I got the tires, they wont go on until I get an alignment.

#645 ·
crxvtec91 said:
EF RaceRR said:
B53p said:
Is the head room any worse then a 350z? I have a hard time driving a 350, knees in the dash and head hitting the roof.........
I think headroom is less than 350z. I fit in those okay.

#650 ·
What type of header did you go with in order to clear your rear cross member? Any figment issues with the engine re:the jdm front end? Thanks in advance.

I have a crx with a jdm front and just picked up a k series. Slowly starting to acquire the parts required.

#651 ·
razordave said:
That cage came out so nice! This whole build is great and I didn't even read the whole thing yet.
Thank you very much! I don't even like looking through all the pages, theres to many! :rofl:
autoCRx said:
Subscribing to thread...B53p I'm very interested in your rear diffuser project. I want to know details. About to buy my first CR-X next weekend and plan on turning it into an Auto-X / DD!
PM'd, please get back to me on it. I'm looking forward to hearing about your CRX!
HARD2BEAT said:
havent been on here for a while but this crx keeps getting better & better :)b
It's been a long time for me too! :oops:
Rex All Day said:
Oh boy, here's the firework showww!
I'll try to keep it to the short version :)b
silversi said:
What type of header did you go with in order to clear your rear cross member? Any figment issues with the engine re:the jdm front end? Thanks in advance.

I have a crx with a jdm front and just picked up a k series. Slowly starting to acquire the parts required.
My header was made on the car so I can't recommend one for you, 3 years ago there wasn't much out there and the ones that were out were very expensive. I had to cut part of the under side of the hood and space the engine down to get the hood to clear my K. Let me know if you have any other questions.

On to my long over due updates!

At the end of 2014, I got my safety equipment for racing because in October of last year I completed Competition school with NASA for my racing license. Also I had to do some changing to the CRX.

I did paint the interior just a gloss black to keep it simple.

I also finally put a LSD in from a 06 civic Si (made a big difference)

Here is the K20a3 I put in to racing in Honda Challenge H2 class it was tuned on Kpro with 153whp @ 5700 Rpm and 142ftlbs. My class restricts HP so I have 153whp from 5700 Rpm to 7500 Rpm which is also my redline.

I made a "bash bar" sense the SiR bumpers don't have one. It also serves as my tow strap mount.

I also had to add weight, my class states that my CRX has to weigh 2385Lbs minimum as I come of track after a race, here was my solution :)b

I'm still fighting brake issues, but until I get new rims to run Type R front brakes I will have to hope that my adjustments for cooling the brakes keeps this from happening again.

I also updated my rear suspension setup, I'm really liking it so far.

My CRX is now a full race car if you haven't guessed by now. I did end up getting a sticker sponsorship after my first event. They said my car deserved better then painters tape :rolleyes1:

Some updated pictures from more recent races.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.