(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

AZCRXSI's Build Thread (1990 Y-49 CRX Si)

Show off your CRX. Member rides, pictures, project threads and galleries can go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: AZCRXSI's Build Thread (1990 Y-49 CRX Si)

Postby AZCRXSI » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:26 pm

Wow shorty, you have been busy!

That sounds very cool being the host. Exposure to the various/different cultures would be a neat experience.
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Bought on 10/01/11, with 228,116 miles.
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

Liquid Yellow 2005 MINI Cooper S (Daily Driver)
AZCRXSI

Postby AZCRXSI » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:27 pm

Ok, small update/repair.

All the parts arrived so its time to go into the distributor and replace what I can.

New parts list:
Honda OEM igniter
Honda OEM rotor
New distributor cap
New distributor gasket (cap did not come with gasket)

Starting point:

Distributor was removed. 2 x electrical connections and 3 x 12mm mounting bolts. Distributors side by side. (backup vs primary)

Honda OEM Rotor

Honda OEM Igniter

Backup vs Primary. I decided to remove the coils from each. I know the coil on the back up is Honda OEM and only has 39k miles on it. Primary coil appears to be a Honda OEM coil with unknown mileage. So I swapped the 39k mile unit into the primary. I installed the unknown coil back into the backup distributor.

Removed old factory rotor off the primary distributor.

Coil removed, rotor removed… Time to start disconnecting the electrical connections for the igniter. Both bolts have been removed as well that secure the igniter to the distributor.

1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

AZCRXSI

Postby AZCRXSI » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:29 pm

Old dead igniter. You have to remove it from the heatsink first. One of the two bolts have been removed.

New igniter installed and both bolts are tightened securing the igniter to the heat sink.

Very cool and nice little touch. Honda gives you two new bolts that secure the igniter/heatsink to the distributor. Mine were old and suspect so this was welcomed.

Igniter installed back into the distributor and the two new bolts are used to secure everything together.

Electrical connections are put back together and look good.

Rotor time

New rotor and new hex wrench bolt

New rotor secured

39k mile coil installed

Slowly coming back together

Old dead igniter

Primary distributor installed back onto the motor. New distributor cap and gasket installed. Spark plug wires connected.

Timed it again and all is well. Took him for a test drive and he is back in business.

But…

After I got him back into the garage, I let him sit for a while. Came back and looked underneath to find a decent sized oil spot in the front-center of the motor. I am wondering if the oil pan gasket has given up the ghost finally. It is due and I have been delaying it. Where I suspect the oil leak to be, it may even leak onto the exhaust manifold. Need to investigate further. Either way, a new oil pan, plug and gasket from RockAuto is about $73 shipped. Cannot beat that…
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

AZCRXSI

Postby AZCRXSI » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:31 pm

Who knows on the oil leak... I will continue to watch the car but now there is nothing. Cant tell where it is coming from atm... Either way, I was out and about with him today. 25 miles down and so far so well. He starts each and every time and runs well. Actually, turning him over is MUCH easier now. I parked him in the garage and let him sit. Idea was that I would come back to something on the ground again and will look then. Nothing, nada... :?: :?: :?: I am patient, I will wait.

Excuse his status, I havent washed him in about 3 weeks.

1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

AZCRXSI

Postby ZeusTwo » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:08 pm

Still love this car :wink: but that weird to say the least. Random oil? hope it was a flukey situation and youre good to go now.
1991 Crx Dx/Si converted
ZeusTwo

Postby AZCRXSI » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:00 pm

ZeusTwo wrote:Still love this car :wink: but that weird to say the least. Random oil? hope it was a flukey situation and youre good to go now.

Thanks!

Yeah, I dont know what that was under the car when I saw it. I jacked him up, got underneath and cleaned everything I could find around the motor. Put him back on the ground and went for a drive. Came back parked him and thought whatever it was would show me. Still waiting. Weird.
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

AZCRXSI

Postby pbillie » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:59 pm

Looking and doing a great job! Quite the mechanic now!
90 CR-X Si Y49 Restore and Upgrade
Thanks Pat!
Powered by 98 B18c Spec R
IG: dezelmechanic
pbillie

Postby AZCRXSI » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:53 pm

pbillie wrote:Looking and doing a great job! Quite the mechanic now!

Thanks Phil! I look forward to learning new things as they come up. The thrill of the challenge if he stops working!
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

AZCRXSI

Postby crocrx » Sun May 01, 2016 10:40 pm

AZCRXSI wrote:Who knows on the oil leak... I will continue to watch the car but now there is nothing. Cant tell where it is coming from atm... Either way, I was out and about with him today. 25 miles down and so far so well. He starts each and every time and runs well. Actually, turning him over is MUCH easier now. I parked him in the garage and let him sit. Idea was that I would come back to something on the ground again and will look then. Nothing, nada... :?: :?: :?: I am patient, I will wait.

Excuse his status, I havent washed him in about 3 weeks.

Front main seal probably. Go for a good burn then park it over a piece of cardboard. Oil pressure will push out of a worn crank seal so drive it hard.
crocrx

Postby crocrx » Mon May 02, 2016 8:41 pm

Stop buying all the oem parts up lol...your parts are fine.
crocrx

Postby paopao » Fri May 06, 2016 4:45 pm

I have a question about the Rustoleum undercoating. How much prep work did you do before rolling it on?

There was also a video on YouTube showing the Rustoleum undercoating can having lots of solids at the bottom despite repeated mixing. Did you have any issues getting a uniform mix of undercoating?
Honda enthusiast in TX!

Been in love with 88-91 Civic/CRX's since I was 8!

91 CRX Si
paopao

Postby Wolf Si » Sat May 07, 2016 6:15 pm

Great build. One question and that may tell you were the oil leak is coming from. Did you replace the outside O-Ring on the distributer? I say outside since there is a seal inside also. I had an oil leak on mine (actually several) and one of them was from that O-Ring on the distributer. I replace that one, the oil pan gasket, the valve cover gasket and the upper and lower spark plug seals (only needed when you have a leak in the spark plug wells).

Great to see another all original CRX.
Wolf Si

Postby AZCRXSI » Sat May 07, 2016 8:46 pm

paopao wrote:I have a question about the Rustoleum undercoating. How much prep work did you do before rolling it on?

There was also a video on YouTube showing the Rustoleum undercoating can having lots of solids at the bottom despite repeated mixing. Did you have any issues getting a uniform mix of undercoating?

Prep work included putting the CRX up on stands. Exhaust was removed to allow access to everything in the middle and towards the back. Suspension was completely dis-assembled in each corner to allow more access. I used a general all purpose cleaner along with simple green to literally scrub each wheel well and underneath the car. A lot of dirt and old undercoating came off when this was accomplished.

I cant say I had any issues with mixing the undercoating to get a uniform application. I applied three coats to each wheel well along with the underside of the vehicle… Then I reassembled each corner along with the exhaust section.

Wolf Si wrote:Great build. One question and that may tell you were the oil leak is coming from. Did you replace the outside O-Ring on the distributer? I say outside since there is a seal inside also. I had an oil leak on mine (actually several) and one of them was from that O-Ring on the distributer. I replace that one, the oil pan gasket, the valve cover gasket and the upper and lower spark plug seals (only needed when you have a leak in the spark plug wells).

Great to see another all original CRX.

Thanks for the kind words. I have been wondering about this too! Since buttoning everything up on the car and now driving him around (461 miles), no additional oil is leaking. So I believe whatever it was related to dealt with the repair time period. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I flunked taking a rag and plugging the distributor to cylinder head port/hole? But good point, I might take a look at the o-ring. It was a snug fit and when pulled, there was a pop sound when I removed the distributor. I will sit and wait to see what it does, if anything.
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

AZCRXSI

Postby paopao » Sun May 08, 2016 1:16 pm

AZCRXSI wrote:
paopao wrote:I have a question about the Rustoleum undercoating. How much prep work did you do before rolling it on?

Prep work included putting the CRX up on stands. Exhaust was removed to allow access to everything in the middle and towards the back. Suspension was completely dis-assembled in each corner to allow more access. I used a general all purpose cleaner along with simple green to literally scrub each wheel well and underneath the car. A lot of dirt and old undercoating came off when this was accomplished.

I cant say I had any issues with mixing the undercoating to get a uniform application. I applied three coats to each wheel well along with the underside of the vehicle… Then I reassembled each corner along with the exhaust section.

Thanks for the reply; looking forward to doing this.

EDIT: Did you brush the undercoat? Roller?
Honda enthusiast in TX!

Been in love with 88-91 Civic/CRX's since I was 8!

91 CRX Si
paopao

Postby AZCRXSI » Mon May 16, 2016 6:28 pm

paopao wrote:
Thanks for the reply; looking forward to doing this.

EDIT: Did you brush the undercoat? Roller?

Brushed it on.
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

AZCRXSI

Postby asianflava » Fri May 27, 2016 8:47 am

Heh heh, I had to replace the ignitor on the side of the road using one of those keychain Swiss Army knives. I just happened to have a replacement ignitor in my glovebox. Never went back to re-check it afterwards.
91 CRX Si (hers)
89 Civic Si (his)
01 Toyota Highlander (hers)
07 Toyota Tundra (his)
asianflava

Postby hyperkick » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:55 pm

Any updates on the Mangooo Bangooo? :mrgreen:
hyperkick

Postby AZCRXSI » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:38 pm

hyperkick wrote:Any updates on the Mangooo Bangooo? :mrgreen:

No new updates really. He has been running like a champ so I am left with the larger pieces still outstanding. That includes the front end, paint and motor... The A/C blows ice cold now that summer has arrived. I actually have to turn it down in longer commutes.

I am on about 833 miles since the distributor overhaul and all appears to be working well.

He has been rock solid since I revamped everything back in 2013. I have only spent about $700 on him in the past three years so he has been super reliable. $1,100 if you include the elective Tokico Illumina replacement.

I really cannot complain.
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

AZCRXSI

Postby Intertwined » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:07 pm

just read through the whole thread and damn nice work on the upkeep.
Intertwined

Postby AZCRXSI » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:44 pm

Intertwined wrote:just read through the whole thread and damn nice work on the upkeep.

Thank you for the kind words. I am still very stoked about it. It's been 15,253 miles since the majority of the work was completed in 2013 and he is still going strong. Just wish the other large outstanding pieces were not taking me so long. But it is what it is...
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

AZCRXSI

Postby Intertwined » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:05 pm

AZCRXSI wrote:
Intertwined wrote:just read through the whole thread and damn nice work on the upkeep.

Thank you for the kind words. I am still very stoked about it. It's been 15,253 miles since the majority of the work was completed in 2013 and he is still going strong. Just wish the other large outstanding pieces were not taking me so long. But it is what it is...

Time is just time. With a wife and 2 kids I definitely understand taking time working on stuff. Ive only put about 500 miles on mine since ownership over the past month. Cant wait to do more to it either.
Intertwined

Postby AZCRXSI » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:38 pm

Intertwined wrote:Time is just time. With a wife and 2 kids I definitely understand taking time working on stuff. Ive only put about 500 miles on mine since ownership over the past month. Cant wait to do more to it either.

Agreed.

Well, I will be having fun this coming weekend with the Cooper S. It amazes me what the dealerships charge for these little guys. Best guess on the work coming up is $5,000+. Total parts = $737.06. Approximately 114k miles and I took delivery of him on 11/11/2004. So we are quickly coming up 12 years old.

80-90% of it is preventative. Remainder is me being me with replacing everything I can along the way so I do not have to put the MINI into “service mode” again. Things are tight in the bay, so there is a procedure for giving yourself room to work. While I am doing that, I am replacing everything I can think of… Car is running well though…

Transmission Mount
Radiator
Radiator Hoses
Radiator Fluid
Thermostat & Housing
Crankshaft Position Sensor

Oil Pan Gasket
Dip Stick O-Ring
Timing Chain Tensioner
Oil and Filter Change

Power Steering return/suction lines
Power Steering Pump o-ring
Power Steering Fan Assembly
Power Steering Fluid

Passenger side axle
Passenger/Driver inner ball joints
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

AZCRXSI

Postby AZCRXSI » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:30 pm

Random update from the MIN world… Got in and out with no issues.

114k miles of garbage

Slowly being cleaned up

Thermostat

Oil pan gasket replaced and cleaned up

1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

AZCRXSI

Postby pbillie » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:55 pm

Youve came a long ways Padawan.
90 CR-X Si Y49 Restore and Upgrade
Thanks Pat!