(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

AZCRXSI's Build Thread (1990 Y-49 CRX Si)

Show off your CRX. Member rides, pictures, project threads and galleries can go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: AZCRXSI's Build Thread (1990 Y-49 CRX Si)

Postby AZCRXSI » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:20 pm

Nar wrote:Looks amazing! Very nice sir!

Thanks Nar!

Dave_Darling wrote:I swear I'm not threatening to steal your very-well done car!

...Just daydreaming about it... ;)

--DD

(The sad part is, I know that he wouldn't be in nearly that nice a condition if I had kept him!)

Haha, Thank you Dave! I am glad you like him still!

When are you going to jump back into the CRX world?
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Bought on 10/01/11, with 228,116 miles.
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

Liquid Yellow 2005 MINI Cooper S (Daily Driver)
AZCRXSI

Postby ZeusTwo » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:47 pm

So how long until you get the b16 in it? :mrgreen:
1991 Crx Dx/Si converted
ZeusTwo

Postby AZCRXSI » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:23 pm

ZeusTwo wrote:So how long until you get the b16 in it? :mrgreen:

Great question! I am using him as a daily atm. Put in a pool last year and now the kids have needed braces. As you can imagine, that means 2 that cost in the $3-6k each... so I feel guilty moving forward until they are squared away.

Tough to say they need to wait until I get the motor in... seems like they should be the priority.

Once I get past that, then I would still like to locate an EF8 front end and do the bodywork/paint. Install all new molding again. Then hunt down the motor...
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

AZCRXSI

Postby ZeusTwo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:07 am

I completely understand that!! I have 4 daughters so I know the feeling lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1991 Crx Dx/Si converted
ZeusTwo

Postby ZeusTwo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:12 am

Tbh it's exciting to see the build come together over a few years because I've never taken the time to do so. I've always wanted to rush through and always settle for parts/ideas that I didn't really want because I wasn't patient enough to just wait until time and money permitted it. So weirdly enough your build is inspiring to me.

1991 Crx Dx/Si converted
ZeusTwo

Postby AZCRXSI » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:24 am

ZeusTwo wrote:I completely understand that!! I have 4 daughters so I know the feeling lol.

Oh boy, I have 1 lad and 2 girls. hehe You have your hands full!

ZeusTwo wrote:Tbh it's exciting to see the build come together over a few years because I've never taken the time to do so. I've always wanted to rush through and always settle for parts/ideas that I didn't really want because I wasn't patient enough to just wait until time and money permitted it. So weirdly enough your build is inspiring to me.

Why thank you! This is now moving slower than I wanted but I've only had to do something once which I am ok with... I was hoping to be done by now but it is nice knowing that all the work I did was half way decent. Nothing has fallen off yet and the car works quite well. At 246k miles, it could be a great daily driver.

So for now, I have a "watch list" of parts that I am hunting. I check periodically for pricing... and if there is a sale or price drop on something that is significant, then I jump on it and put it on the self for when the big day arrives.
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

AZCRXSI

Postby ZeusTwo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:55 am

How long have you owned the car? I have a 98 coupe atm and will be picking up my 91 DX this friday. Needs rear brakes (bad!!!!) and ive already got the Brembo blanks and pads waiting for it. But yea i have a general idea what id like to do, part by part, but i have to remind my self to be patient and it will come on the way i always dreamed.
1991 Crx Dx/Si converted
ZeusTwo

Postby AZCRXSI » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:22 pm

ZeusTwo wrote:How long have you owned the car? I have a 98 coupe atm and will be picking up my 91 DX this friday. Needs rear brakes (bad!!!!) and ive already got the Brembo blanks and pads waiting for it. But yea i have a general idea what id like to do, part by part, but i have to remind my self to be patient and it will come on the way i always dreamed.

I flew up to the San Fran area on October 1, 2011 to meet Dave (PO) and buy him.

I am an accountant by trade, so every step and phase of the car is embedded in an excel spreadsheet. Piece by piece, part number by part number, prices so I have a benchmark and hyperlinks to retailer websites so I can just click and go. This way I know what I need and how much I have seen it for in the past. That way I know if I have to jump on something or wait for a better price. And since it is phase by phase, I know what the grand total is for this upcoming set of steps. If you are comfortable with that total, then you can pull the trigger and order all of the parts so they arrive prior to the work.

Works for me and so far has kept me on track. Keeps the cost down too...
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

AZCRXSI

Postby ZeusTwo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:19 pm

Yeah I'm trying to be more organized with mine as well.. Hopefully it all works out lol. But I've subscribed. I can't wait to see it transform

1991 Crx Dx/Si converted
ZeusTwo

Postby AZCRXSI » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:24 pm

ZeusTwo wrote:Yeah I'm trying to be more organized with mine as well.. Hopefully it all works out lol. But I've subscribed. I can't wait to see it transform

Thank you sir! And good luck to you!
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

AZCRXSI

Postby Dave_Darling » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:09 pm

AZCRXSI wrote:I flew up to the San Fran area on October 1, 2011 to meet Dave (PO) and buy him.

:wave:

I'm still out of the CRX game for the foreseeable future. Between the wife and I, we have five cars. Four of which get driven on a regular basis; my "project" 914 is the one that doesn't. At the very least, I will need to get that in good shape again before I pick up any other projects.

And Da Boss would still be unhappy that a CRX doesn't have modern safety features.

So, yeah. Not for a good while.

--DD
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Sold on 10/01/11, with over 227,000 miles.

VTEC is Honda's "select a cam profile on the fly" system; VTECH is a crappy phone.
Dave_Darling

Postby AZCRXSI » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:13 pm

Small Updates…

We have an Odyssey as a primary mover for the fam. Took her in for some recall work (e.g. airbags) and learned that both inner axle boots were leaking. Lucked out and found a Honda passenger side axle on Amazon for $102. Not bad considering they retail for $175-220 each. Drivers side, I went with RockAuto and Cardone Select (new).

I replaced both last weekend in about two hours. I forgot that Honda does not supply an axle nut so that two hours includes a trip to the store. While replacing the axles, I noticed the passenger control arm needed to be replaced. Lower ball joint boot has seen better days. Anyway, onto the pics…

Driver side doesn’t look too bad. Axle is in place and is not leaking anymore. Area does not look too bad for 160k miles.

LBJ boot looks good

Passenger side Honda axle

Dead boot

Passenger side control arm removed

New control arm installed. Pretty straightforward really…

And back to motoring…
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

AZCRXSI

Postby AZCRXSI » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:24 pm

CRX was due for its six-month checkup. I picked up a new tool as well that I wanted to try out. Mityvac MV6835 worked like a charm! Pneumatic brake bleeder (need a compressor with atleast SCFM of 4.3) that comes with a master cylinder refiller. So all you have to focus on is bleeding each corner. Highly recommend this tool.

As per normal, I measure the tire tread depth and rotate as needed. I measure the inner and outer brake pads to make sure they are wearing evenly. Seems to be the best approach. Everything looks great. While underneath, I look to clean things up a bit and see if there is anything going south.

Right Rear Corner

Right rear corner setup. If you notice the rear sway bar, I wrapped it with a small radiator hose tube. This has worked surprisingly well and I no longer hear the metallic knock of the swaybar and exhaust system.

Tanabe SS Exhaust System

Left rear corner setup

1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

AZCRXSI

Postby AZCRXSI » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:25 pm

Interesting to see the SS exhaust age and take on a new color. But equally good to see that none of the nuts/bolts have fallen off.

Front Left

Front Right

1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

AZCRXSI

Postby AZCRXSI » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:26 pm

This brake bleeder is way way cool. One man job now and does a great job. Out with the ATE SuperBlue and in with the ATE amber.

The wheels and tires are doing well. Down to 5mm at all 4 corners. Cleaned up the inside of the wheel and the outside. Armored the inside sidewall and outside sidewall.

SuperBlue all gone, only Amber now…

As part of the fun, while checking tire pressures, I always try to check the spare. Never know when you will need. Time to get it up to 60 psi…

Went for a test drive after the brake bleed and it works just as well as it did before. No air in the system which is ideal.
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

AZCRXSI

Postby shorty_boy » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:42 pm

AZ,

Your thread is always motivation to get another yellow CRX back on the road. So since I am coming to grips with the fact that a head gasket swap may be in my future, I figure that now is the best time to hoard some Si parts for my and the wife's CRX.

Do you mind posting your spreadsheet on the forum or sharing it for us trying to get to Si chassis status?
1989 CRX HF "... and i will call her betsie and betsie will be mine!"
Resurrected 1/15/2012.
Shorty's Mods, Swaps, and Reviews.
shorty_boy

Postby AZCRXSI » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:47 am

shorty_boy wrote:AZ,

Your thread is always motivation to get another yellow CRX back on the road. So since I am coming to grips with the fact that a head gasket swap may be in my future, I figure that now is the best time to hoard some Si parts for my and the wife's CRX.

Do you mind posting your spreadsheet on the forum or sharing it for us trying to get to Si chassis status?

Why thank you! I was wondering where you went! Have not seen/heard from you in a while! :-)b

Hope this helps!

Wheel Bearings
Front => KOYO or TIMKIN P/N 513024 (x2)
Rear => MOOG P/N 513035 (x2)

Front Suspension
Out Steering Tie Rods – MOOG P/N ES2946L and ES2943R
Radius Rod Bushings – MOOG P/N K9735
Lower Ball Joints – MOOG P/N K9385
Upper Control Arm – MOOG (Right) K9813 and (LEFT) K9814
Lower Control Arm – MOOG (Right) K80329 and (LEFT) K80330
Springs – Eibach Ground Control
Shocks – Tokico Illuminas

Rear Suspension
Upper Control Arm – Ingalls Adjustable Control Arm
Lower Control Arm – Honda OEM (Right) 52350-SH3-G11 and (Left) 52360-SH3-G11
Springs – Eibach Ground Control
Shocks – Tokico Illuminas

Brakes
Honda (Nissin) OEM Master Cylinder for Civic EX – P/N 46100-SH4-A11
Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines – P/N 20014
Centric Rotors (Front) – P/N => 12040013
Centric Rotors (Rear) – P/N => 12040017
Hawk Front HPS Pads – P/N => HB113F.590
Hawk Rear HPS Pads – P/N => HB350F.496
Front Right Brake Caliper – P/N => A-1 CARDONE (REMAN) 19-B1232 (Bracket Included)
Front Left Brake Caliper – P/N => A-1 CARDONE (REMAN) 19-B1233 (Bracket Included)
Rear Right Brake Caliper – P/N => A-1 CARDONE (REMAN) 19-B1401 (Bracket Included)
Rear Left Brake Caliper – P/N => A-1 CARDONE (REMAN) 19-B1401 (Bracket Included)
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

AZCRXSI

Postby shorty_boy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:54 pm

Thanks. I have been volunteering my time over that last two years and have hosted exchange students for the last three. This last student is active in sports. My wife : is in nursing school and drives a few towns over every day. I have bascally been a single dad for the last year or so for sure. I am tring to get my head in the game again.
Resurrected 1/15/2012.
shorty_boy

Postby AZCRXSI » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:37 pm

shorty_boy wrote:Thanks. I have been volunteering my time over that last two years and have hosted exchange students for the last three. This last student is active in sports. My wife : is in nursing school and drives a few towns over every day. I have bascally been a single dad for the last year or so for sure. I am tring to get my head in the game again.

Understood. Sounds like you have been having fun with exchange students. From which countries are they from?
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

AZCRXSI

Postby AZCRXSI » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:46 pm

Had my first setback with the car last Friday. Not bad in almost 4.5 years.

Friday afternoon at 430pm and I walked out to him to go home. Turned him over like I always do and he fired right up! 2-3 seconds later… sputters and dies. Will NOT turn over again.

He just cranks, cranks, cranks, cranks and cranks but does not turn over. So, given the fact that I have about 90min before the parking lot becomes “secured” for the weekend, I have no choice but to leave him there and remove anything and everything inside so its out of sight. Wife picked me up and he stayed in the parking lot until Monday morning. At which time I secured a tow back home.

During the tow ride home, he appeared to attract attention. The driver rode next to the truck/CRX for a good portion of the drive.

Had a chance to look at him recently and needed to troubleshoot why he would not turnover. Ignition, fuel, t-belt (3,500 miles old), main relay (repaired by Dave previously)…

Started with the obvious items first. I attempted to turn him over while in the garage. Turn the key to the ON position and I hear the fuel pump prime. Doesn’t start.

I knew Dave repaired the Main Relay some time ago but I went ahead and ordered a new one just for Ss & Gs. $55, why not?

Its really not too bad to get to the relay. I used the Tutorial on this website to walk me through it and it was put together well. Robb did a good job putting this together.

Here is a pic of the old unit dangling.

Old vs New

Old vs New

I went back and installed the new Main Relay and buttoned everything back up underneath the dash. With everything clear, turned him over again. Crank crank crank crank crank nothing. I got out and walked to the back of the CRX and smelled the tailpipes. I smelled fuel. So we have what appears to be the ‘sound’ of the fuel pump priming. After cranking the car and no ignition, the smell of fuel behind the car. I was about to rule out the fuel pump.
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

AZCRXSI

Postby AZCRXSI » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:49 pm

Next up to the front of the car. Check the timing belt just to make sure it is intact. After 3,500 miles, if it broke (GATES), I would be pissed! But it looked good and still in place.

Buttoned the valve cover back up and secured that…

Next up, ignition.

Back in May-2012, the existing distributor on the CRX developed the sound of death and basically told me it needed to be replaced. I cracked the distributor open and he contained the red dust of death. We shall call this Distributor A.

I replace Distributor A with a used unit off of eBay against the wife’s wishes. We shall call this Distributor B. If you recall, Dist A’s bearing was going and making a horrible sound. When you turn the rotor, you could feel the resistance. When Dist B arrived, I had to clean it up but the rotor turned perfectly and there were no sound and no drag. Distributor B has been on the CRX ever since.

Couple of pieces to look at: Rotor, Cap, Plugs, Wires, Igniter and Coil. Cap is relatively new as is the plugs and wires. So this leaves me with the rotor, igniter and coil.

In the interest of eliminating variables, I removed the coil from Dist A (on the sideline) and install it on Distributor B (on car). Head back to the cabin, turn him over and NOTHING. Ok… Swap coils back so A is to A and B is to B.

I removed Distributor B (on car) and replace it with Distributor A (sideline; orig). CRX fires RIGHT UP! Boom!

Ok, in fact, I am not sure he ever fired up that quickly before. He is no slouch but this was quick. New plugs, newer wires and a new main relay and BOOM!

So what does this mean? What are the facts?

I swapped distributors and now the CRX fires up. So its distributor related.

I swapped plugs, used the same cap in this experiment.

I swapped Distributor B for Distributor A and now the CRX fires up.

What is the difference between Dist B and Dist A? B still has the superior bearing/rod and spins better than A.

I tried A’s coil in B and car would not start. Dist A works with Coil A. But Dist B does not work with Coil A. So can we rule out the coil? Coil A is only 39k miles old as Dave (PO) replaced it in June-2009.

If so, the only item left in question is the igniter!

So I have two options:

Honda OEM Igniter (NEC)
Part Number => 06302-PT2-000
Retail Price => $106.28 shipped give or take (Retail is about $133)

Hitachi Igniter
Part Number => IGN0001
Retail Price => $58.37 shipped

As I understand, Hitachi has had some issues with the EK series? People seem to prefer NEC over Hitachi.

Feedback or thoughts would be appreciated.
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

AZCRXSI

Postby paopao » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:49 am

This was always the reference I used for distributor troubleshooting:

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/blogs/meltman/299-advanced-ignition-troubleshooting.html

I have a brand new OEM ignitor. I bought it as a spare a while back; opened the bag but never used it. 30510-PT2-006; I'll PM you.
Honda enthusiast in TX!

Been in love with 88-91 Civic/CRX's since I was 8!

91 CRX Si
paopao

Postby shorty_boy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:00 am

AZCRXSI wrote:
Understood. Sounds like you have been having fun with exchange students. From which countries are they from?

We have had 3 students and one Chapperone from Mainland China, 1 student frome Mongolia, and 1 student from Brazil. The Brazil student has to leave early. He was my favorite student.

In regards to the dizzy issue, I had this happen to my wife's DX a while back. I swapped the electronics from my spare HF dizzy into the DX and it worked for like 4 months and then stopped. Put the DX electromics in and that worked for 2 months(it hapreviously just cranked but never fired). I eventually broke down and bought a whole new DX unit as the original housing got the red dust of death.

I would suggest that you break our the multi meter on Dizzy B because you may have some resistence issues that build up over time because of electro-static forces.
Resurrected 1/15/2012.
shorty_boy

Postby AZCRXSI » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:54 pm

paopao wrote:This was always the reference I used for distributor troubleshooting:

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/blogs/meltman/299-advanced-ignition-troubleshooting.html

I have a brand new OEM ignitor. I bought it as a spare a while back; opened the bag but never used it. 30510-PT2-006; I'll PM you.

Great website for troubleshooting the distributor (06302-PT2-000)! I went ahead and ordered a new Honda OEM NEC igniter. It should arrive by mid week and with any luck, I can disassemble the distributor, clean it up and rebuild it with all new pieces.

shorty_boy wrote:
We have had 3 students and one Chapperone from Mainland China, 1 student frome Mongolia, and 1 student from Brazil. The Brazil student has to leave early. He was my favorite student.

In regards to the dizzy issue, I had this happen to my wife's DX a while back. I swapped the electronics from my spare HF dizzy into the DX and it worked for like 4 months and then stopped. Put the DX electromics in and that worked for 2 months(it hapreviously just cranked but never fired). I eventually broke down and bought a whole new DX unit as the original housing got the red dust of death.

I would suggest that you break our the multi meter on Dizzy B because you may have some resistence issues that build up over time because of electro-static forces.

Oh cool! What are the cultural differences like? Appears you can blend them and make them work, right?

I thought about a new unit as well but the cost is quite significant. I think I could justify IF I was going to keep the D16A6. But since I am just buying time with this motor, I just need to get keep him running until the next motor.

True, testing the distributor would be ideal to figure out what is going south.
1990 CRX Si BUILD THREAD

AZCRXSI

Postby shorty_boy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:07 pm

AZCRXSI wrote:Oh cool! What are the cultural differences like? Appears you can blend them and make them work, right?

I thought about a new unit as well but the cost is quite significant. I think I could justify IF I was going to keep the D16A6. But since I am just buying time with this motor, I just need to get keep him running until the next motor.

True, testing the distributor would be ideal to figure out what is going south.

Mongolians are Asian but very Russian at the same time due to the whole ComIntern Pact. Shinee was able to speak and read Russian. Modern Mongolian speech sounds very Russian as they use a lot of Russian words. She was very interesting as she goes to a South Korean school in Mongolia so she can speak and reads Hangul.

The Chinese students were interesting in that two of them were from Chongqing and their perception of Mainland China is different from other Chinese people in Mainland China as their city is a specially designated city. There are more than 33 Million people in Chongqing and the city is autonomously ruled as a City State.
The third Chinese student was from Futian which is coastal (Shenzhen) and south of Chongqing. They are more in line with mainland thought. Even though it is a big city and a major port, they are controlled directly by the central party in Beijing and are not under autonomous City state rule. He was the easiest Chinese student to bond with and most down to earth.

The Chinese chaperoned was from Chongqing but she studied at an international College in China and had been out of China a few times prior. She was cool and we still keep in touch today. She helped me with my Mandarin. I know a little bit of Cantonese and find that easier surprisingly. I have always wanted to learn Mandarin but I cannot make the tones as well. I love the way Mandarin sounds though.

Our Brazilian student is probably our favorite of all. He is great. Brazilian culture is close to North American culture so there was less adjustment time. He has taught me a little Brazilian Portuguese and my Latin classes have finally payed off.

I honestly recommend hosting at least once in your life if you are interested in foreign cultures. Especially if you cannot afford to see the world. It is a great program if you have little children to get them interested in a foreign language.
Resurrected 1/15/2012.
shorty_boy

PreviousNext

Return to The Showroom