(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

91 CRX Si: It's good to be back!

Show off your CRX. Member rides, pictures, project threads and galleries can go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 91 CRX Si: It's good to be back!

Postby Tian90crx » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:10 pm

Lol I like how it went from a "keeping it original" to "I'm probably going to boost it"
Same exact thing happened with me.
Props on it, it looks really nice, and so jealous of how good of a shape the shell is in.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4
Aftermarket Quality Turbo, Suspension, interior parts FOR SALE http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=156674
Tian90crx

Postby paopao » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:58 pm

Tian90crx wrote:Lol I like how it went from a "keeping it original" to "I'm probably going to boost it"
Same exact thing happened with me.
Props on it, it looks really nice, and so jealous of how good of a shape the shell is in.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Yes, things can escalate quite quickly.

I actually have had a turbo setup in the back of my mind for sometime now. The biggest thing is finding modifications that are easily reversible. I keep all the original parts and make sure I can put the car back to stock if I need to. We all know they are worth more money in original form; but at the same time, that won't stop me from enjoying the car the way I would like.

Thanks for the compliment, your TGP looks good too.
Honda enthusiast in TX!

Been in love with 88-91 Civic/CRX's since I was 8!

91 CRX Si
paopao

Postby vanrij » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:20 pm

Duracon FTW.

I like the sound of your mild turbo idea while retaining AC. That said, what is in the Innovative box in the back ground? I'm guessing traction bar or even B-series mounts?
vanrij

Postby paopao » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:25 pm

They are D-series steel mounts. I never installed them and no one wants to buy them :( .
Honda enthusiast in TX!

91 CRX Si
paopao

Postby paopao » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:49 am

I've been consumed with the idea of putting a turbo in the car. I removed the bumper yesterday and started taking measurements to build an intercooler in the area where the OEM resonator is. I really think there is plenty of space to put a good size intercooler core to support 250WHP.

I started looking up prices on the GT2560R (same turbo from the Edelbrock kit they used to sell). Right around $1k new; but was able to find someone selling one for $700. Story is that he purchased it 5 years ago for a project and has had it in storage ever since. Might have to jump on it. This turbo project could come sooner than I thought.
Honda enthusiast in TX!

91 CRX Si
paopao

Postby H22_CRX » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:00 pm

Your car is just amazing....its everything i want!!! Just gorgeous!!
72k Rex restoration!
http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=46596 <-------Check it out!
H22_CRX

Postby trent89 » Thu May 01, 2014 12:21 pm

if you place an intercooler where the oem intake box goes, i dont believe there would be enough cool air flow for the intercooler to actually do its job. thats why everyone runs a front mount. i like the idea and have thought about it a lot myself but i dont think its functional.
trent89

Postby vanrij » Fri May 02, 2014 12:59 am

I've wanted to do an air-to-water intercooler in the OEM air box area (and air box shaped) for a long time. Could be done very clean at the expense of a custom intercooler.
vanrij

Postby paopao » Fri May 02, 2014 1:29 am

trent89 wrote:if you place an intercooler where the oem intake box goes, i dont believe there would be enough cool air flow for the intercooler to actually do its job. thats why everyone runs a front mount. i like the idea and have thought about it a lot myself but i dont think its functional.

I started drawing up an intercooler in Solidworks to do a flow simulation. I'm more concerned with the airflow through the core than across the fins. I can't say whether or not there is enough airflow as it would just be speculation. Not in a rush to jump into anything as I enjoy the car as is for the moment; but it's definitely been an idea I've had for some time.

vanrij wrote:I've wanted to do an air-to-water intercooler in the OEM air box area (and air box shaped) for a long time. Could be done very clean at the expense of a custom intercooler.

I've also contemplated the air-to-water intercooler. I would actually run the intercooler where the OEM intake box is and put the circulating pump where the resonator is. Then run a half radiator and the heat exchanger for the water loop on the other side (where the OEM A/C fan is).

Space has always been the big issue with turbo setups in the EF chassis. Wouldn't be so much of a problem if I ditched A/C and started cutting things up. The more and more I start looking at the details, the more and more I remember why I haven't done this yet :? .
Honda enthusiast in TX!

91 CRX Si
paopao

Postby paopao » Thu May 08, 2014 11:43 am

Fighting demons right now; I have thoughts of selling the CRX again. What has changed?

For one, my wife had some personnel/schedule changes at her clinic. End result: I now have to drop both children off at school/child care. This means CRX time is limited to nights/weekends. While this is not necessarily a bad thing, I couldn't help but think: "If i'm going to treat the CRX as a toy car, I might as well get a REAL toy car."

Long story short, I'm itching for another project. The CRX is completely done, I just drive it. If I had a 4 car garage I would probably hold onto it, but I've got something in my sights that I think makes a good case for selling the CRX.

For those wondering, this is what I deem a REAL toy car:

http://www.factoryfive.com/kits/project-818/
Honda enthusiast in TX!

91 CRX Si
paopao

Postby tommy » Thu May 08, 2014 11:48 am

That could be a fun project - have you been following Grassroots' build? The donor WRX seems to be the key component; if you get a good one, you're golden.
1990 ZcSi
tommy

Postby paopao » Thu May 08, 2014 12:06 pm

Yes I followed the Grassroots' build. I've been waiting for a state side kit-car to come out that doesn't use a V8 powerplant. SLC (Superlitecars) had some exoskeleten kits that could use the K-series but their support/presence isn't as big as FFR.

I've built a spreadsheet of the necessary components needed from the WRX and have started populating it with pricing to see if I can get away without picking up a donor car. The hardest things to get will probably be the electrical harnesses.
Honda enthusiast in TX!

91 CRX Si
paopao

Postby paopao » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:12 pm

Seriously considering selling the car now. Wife's new schedule is in full effect, so I'm driving the Honda Pilot everyday. Will probably hold off on anymore toy cars until my wife finishes the doctorate program she just enrolled in. Why does life have to be so hard? 1st world problems for sure.
Honda enthusiast in TX!

91 CRX Si
paopao

Postby Rex All Day » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:45 pm

DOn't loose it man. Yes, your wife and you have to make decisions to live within your means while you go through a stressful and financial situation but that doesnt mean your gonna sell off your passion due to a situation. After you sell it and want another 2 years from now, you wont find one, and if you do it will be for more than the 6500 you had it up on ebay for those months ago for. Your gonna be stuck with, "aw i used to have a clean one like that." and its gonna be a mindset to deal with. Idk, you don't have a Honda, you have a Gem. A TGP Gemz! I understand tho man, good luck with what you are dealin with too, things will get better soon! Please don't let it go! :-)b
Black 1991 CRX Si - 1.6 SOHC ZC motor.
Thread: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=62162
Rex All Day

Postby Cementups » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:01 am

If you don't HAVE to sell it, then don't. The car will wait for you in the garage. If you get rid of it you may regret it later. I'm in somewhat similar situation as I only have time for my CRX's on nights and weekends as my wife starts work before me so I take the kids to daycare so I too have to load up the Pilot with the kidlets. That just means I enjoy that time more with my CRX when I do get to drive it.

I let go of my "baby" (2001 Honda Prelude EBP) because we were having kids. I regretted it the second I signed the papers. 9 years later and it still hurts a little. I told myself I will never let go of my TGP because I don't want to go through that again. The only way I would let it go is if it came down to a money issue. And even that would be a last resort.

Good luck in whatever you decide. :-)b
Cementups

Postby Rex All Day » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:21 am

Money comes and goes. Mint CRXs don't.

Even if it was sold for 5-10 grand, how long would that last realistically?
:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:
Black 1991 CRX Si - 1.6 SOHC ZC motor.
Thread: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=62162
Rex All Day

Postby paopao » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:20 am

All of these posts are 100% true.

Cementups; I've been driving my Pilot & TL the past week. Today I drove the CRX to work since I'll be traveling for work this week. The drive was that much sweeter; as they say, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder".

You guys have restored my focus. I think the time has come to turn the CRX into a true toy; time to explore more modifications...
Honda enthusiast in TX!

91 CRX Si
paopao

Postby g4crx » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:50 am

What a beauty, well done Sir!! :-)b
1991 CR-X SiR Mugen Glass Roof
2007 RX-8 231PS MS
1991 Glass Roof Si EF7, 1993 BB1 Prelude, 2005 Lexus IS200 [SOLD]

Build thread
g4crx

Postby Quik89Si » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:12 am

Just read all 12 pages...the ups and downs had me on the edge of my seat, hoping you would finish your build. That is such a clean CRX and I'm glad you got it done. I had a pretty clean Rio Red '89 from 2002 to 2006 or so and your thread makes me wish I still had it! Definitely interested in seeing what you do with it in the future and I hope you keep it for a long time. If you need somewhere to store it, I've got some space in my garage here in Fairview :lol:
Quik89Si

Postby paopao » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:36 pm

I'm honored that you decided to make your first post in my thread :).

I've been toying with the idea of a K20 swap. I put a K20Z1 in my 95 Civic EX coupe in 2010. I miss that car a lot. I ended up selling it when I moved from Chicago to Texas.

Part of me wants to keep the CRX as close to original as possible; which explains the D series still in the engine bay and limited bolt-ons. However, I will say that the only thing really leading me to do that is holding onto the idea of selling it in the near future. If I can overcome that mental hurdle, I will probably start to tinker with it more.
Honda enthusiast in TX!

91 CRX Si
paopao

Postby j3wman » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:03 pm

paopao wrote:Moar pics.

These shots give a good idea of the ride height on the stock suspension.

While I was happy with this for months, I ended up checking out a local CRX that was lowered and I remember just how good they look when the wheel gap is closed up. I ended up buying Koni Yellow shocks w/Ground Control coilovers. I had 400F/450R rates in the past and went with them again.

Not the best pic but after it was lowered:

Again, a little washed out but I was excited:

As you can see in some of these pics, I replaced the OEM exhaust with a Tanabe Medallion. I spent a long time looking for an RSR or Greddy. I saw some pics of the Tanabe and the construction looked similar. After receiving it I can say that the build quality is better than the RSR and Greddy exhausts I've had in the best, very pleased with the purchase.

Also put a K&N FIPK on the car. Throttle is MUCH louder now.

Love the look of the stock dash/wheel:

Dat azzzz:

Random shots:

I'll put my money on this being the best exhaust I got this on my CRX, I love it!

Keep up the great work, this is a time capsule.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=84682 Hey kid, Wanna see a really cool CRX? Click the link.
j3wman

Postby paopao » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:17 am

I bought a cheap wide angle lens a couple months ago:

Honda enthusiast in TX!

91 CRX Si
paopao

Postby fraglerock » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:20 am

Great shots!
fraglerock

Postby 2tables1mic » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:17 pm

Car looks amazing! I've been shopping around for a different shift knob and was looking at the Duracon spoon sports one like yours, but really wanted metal and didn't realize it was apparently a polymer. Does it feel plastic-y at all or is it pretty solid. I just don't wanna drop 75 bucks to find out the hard way :/
Trying to restore a busted 88 si that I bought in 9/2013
2tables1mic

Postby tommy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:01 pm

It's very solid-feeling; they also sell one in polished aluminum if that's what you want.
1990 ZcSi
tommy

PreviousNext

Return to The Showroom