Honda CRX Forum banner

Tommy's 90 SiZC Build, from 2012 On

77K views 200 replies 31 participants last post by  crxgator 
#1 ·
Since some people have asked about my Team Dynamics wheels look on my car, I thought I'd start a project thread. I've had the car since the summer of 1994 (bought it after grad school, bought it in PA and drove it back down to where I was living at the time, New Orleans).
Here's the skinny as of today:
182k on the odometer
about 35k on the ZC since I bought it
Engine/Tranny mods:
ZC, slight port & polish
Bisi Stage 1 cams
JG adjustable cam gears
Kamakaze header, hotcoated
PRM cold air intake
Quaife LSD
Wicked Innovations zero-play shift linkage mod
Energy Suspension black shift bushings
Explicit Speed left and right engine mounts (rear didn't fit, so put stock back in)
Energy Suspension black front engine mount inserts

Suspension:
Eibach Pro springs
Tokico Adjustables
Neuspeed front and rear strut tower bars
EM Racing hatch strut bar (yes, I'm sure it does nothing, either)
Autopower 89-91 Rollbar, to be installed
Function 7 rear lcas, red candy coated (new option)
DC Sports lower rear tie bar

Rims/Brakes:
Team Dynamics 1.2, Bronze, 15x7, +35
Front 5mm H&R spacers (more on that later)
Fastbrakes 11" kit w/Wilwood calipers
Project Kics R26 lug nuts

Misc:
Rear seat imported from NZ, with reupholster kit from that guy in Houston who everyone thought they'd get reupholster kits for their front seats from
Sedan rear handles
CF sunroof panel
EDM rear spoiler
Momo Acropolis w/Wicked Innovation custom seat bracket (no slider)
Spoon Sports duracon shift knob
Eclipse h/u with 6-cd changer mounted in the slot underneath
Autometer gauges

See less See more
#3 ·
Two weekends ago, before swapping wheels:

TD rim on, showing the clearance of the Wilwood brakes:

A little further back:

I finally got around to removing my 1988 version of the Autopower rollbar (all they had at the time), since hated messing with a set of door panels to make things worse. If you were curious about what the difference is, here are a couple of comparisons:

As you can see, the 89-91 version (the one I had powdercoated red) is a good deal skinnier, and it should clear the doorpanels easily.

The front rims now need the spacers, because the wheel weights can't clear under the calipers, and have to be installed outside of the calipers. Has anyone else run into this problem? I figure there have to be skinnier wheel weights that would work as well, but don't need as large of a spacer to clear.

#4 ·
Baker, sheesh, give me a minute!! :shock:

Honestly can't remember how many miles it had when I bought it, it's been so long. But had to be under 30k, I think.

Anyway, will take some more pics in the next couple of days, since it's going to a local bodyshop for:
NJ state inspection
Chargespeed front lip paint & install
They'll slap on a VIS ZC hood I bought, and use some Aerocatch hood pins
Probably roll the rear fenders a little, as there's not a great amount of space between the new rims and them at the moment

#8 ·
Dropped the car off at the bodyshop for some stuff. A couple of pics, for your viewing pleasure:

Pic of the goodies going in:

Since it's such a crappy pic, I'll explain:
the white thingy is a Chargespeed front lip I picked up from Craigslist when I was visiting San Diego
Boxes are:
1) Aerocatch pins w/ Password JDM backing plates
2) Box with new hinges
3) Box with new front spring/catch
All for the VIS ZC hood I picked up from a member here last summer for a great price; finally getting around to getting it put on (bodyshop already fixed the rear driver's side corner and gave it a thick clearcoat)

Shop will be painting the lip, installing the hood, getting my NJ inspection, and rolling the rear fenders a bit to fit the Team Dynamics 1.2s, and seeing if they can get some thinner wheel weights, so that the 5mm H&R spacers can be removed to get the Wilwoods & weights to all coexist peacefully without them.

Once that's done, hoping to install my MRacing mirrors next weekend (have the OEM blockoff plates after much searching), bolt in the newer Autopower rollbar (the red one above), and give it a thorough cleaning, etc.

A member here had filled in the "Team Dynamics" on his rims on his thread here; was thinking about doing something similar, we'll see.

#9 ·
This one's for Tyson - my daily driver:

2002 Benz C230; kind of like a CRX that's been blown up from letter size to ledger size. Similar rear end pass through on the lower portion of the hatch, not similar reliability or fun factor. Still, have had it since new, almost 10 years now; have 154k on the odo, and hoping to get a couple of more years out of it before it gets put out of its misery.

#12 ·
There was a bunch of whining from racers about the 1s sticking out too much and them hitting other cars' rims (I had visions of the old Speed Racer cartoons when I heard that!), and they brought them in a little on the 1.2s.

Yep, available in 16. However, I ordered mine from Brian at Fastbrakes in November, and took til early Fed to get them in. They come directly from the UK, unless you can track a set already in inventory. If you're really cool like me and want bronze, they most likely will have to be ordered.

#14 ·
Picked up my car from the bodyshop; it's back to legal here in the swamps of Jersey. :)b

Had the Chargespeed lip painted and installed, the VIS hood that i bought from a guy here for a great price clearcoated and installed, and unfortunately, had to put the SSR Type X's back on; the +35 offset on the TD rims just wouldn't work without a lot of adjustment in the rear, so have decided to just keep the SSR's and put the TD's up in the classified section (along with the OEM lip and hood - buy! buy!!). Might have the X's powdercoated over the winter, as I really liked the bronze of the TDs, but since I spent an evening cleaning the X's up, I'm back to diggin' them again, and might leave them as is. A couple of pics, since you're all whores. :lol:

#15 ·
In case anyone's curious about the F7 rear LCAs that are now available in colors, I got the red ones over the winter. Couple of pics:

It's a very nice-looking candy apple red. I think F7 has at least purple as well; I got them from Vex; they had a special on H-T at the time. Feel free to make fun of the tow hook, but it's a convenient handle when dragging the car out of the garage when it's been sitting all winter.

And finally got a decent total car pic earlier today.

#16 ·
Finally got the car back this morning; the steering rack that had been installed was defective, so new one in and all is well. Found out that the rear area of the rollbar by the speaker holes is a perfect place to stick on the Sirius magnet, and makes wiring a breeze (need Cartalk tomorrow for the long drive tomorrow morning)

I'm off to the Rochester meet tomorrow, will take pics of my car and others' at the meet; judging by the drive from the shop to work , I think the new rack didn't fix the 50-60 mph wobble that I've had for years, so am back to thinking that the rims may be the culprits. Will have to see about that. But based on my earlier experience with getting a rim that's got the proper offset to both clear the Wilwoods AND fit in the fenders, I may decide to live with the occasional vibration. What was weird is that it is not constant, which I would think would be if it were the rims (had one rim repaired years ago when I ran over a pallet on the highway). So new pics will be up and coming in the next couple of days.

#18 ·
So, a mini-update, sans pics.

Picking the car up finally tomorrow morning; because of the brake/rim clearance issue, as soon as I got home from the Rochester meet last month, ordered a set of 15x7 Enkei RPF1s +41 and a set of remanufactured calipers for the front, as I was tired of worrying about clearance of the calipers with the rims, as well as the vibration I had at highway speeds. So the Enkeis (in black) are on, as are the calipers. Also got new ss lines for the brakes done too, as they were saying that clearance with the set I've had for years on there did not have very good clearance.

So, the car should be good to go. Will be working on it this weekend, hoping to get my MRacing mirrors finally put on, paint the mouldings on the side above the windows, a bit of rust POR15'ed, get my Sirius integrated better, clean up the car, and a couple of other things I can't remember right now.

Also dropping off a rim on Saturday to the powdercoaters for my other car; will be looking at colors for the Enkeis; I haven't seen them on in person yet, but can't imagine that the black rims on black car will look all that good (no offense to anyone with them! :D ). We'll see, but I'm thinking something like the bronze that the TDs were or a deep gold-ish powdercoat would look good with the rims.

Anyway, will take pics when I can of the process and post 'em.

#19 ·
Took a couple of pics before letting it hibernate for the winter:

So these are the black RPF1s that I replaced the Type X's with - finally got rid of the wobbling that I had; did the black on black thing, cause I figured I was going to powdercoat them anyway next year, and wanted to have some fun with it. Not sure what color to go with in the spring; was thinking dove gray or battleship gray, bronze, or maybe a gold color. I picked up a Hybrid Racing oil cap (my alt belt tore itself up, and the Unorthodox pulley was slightly off afterwards, so went back to stock, and if I'm stock, I believe it's illegal, in Honda build terms, to continue to use an Unorthodox oil cap :mrgreen: ). So bought this:

http://www.hybrid-racing.com/products/hr-hondaacura-slim-oil-cap/
in the gold. So am thinking of using that color on the rims; would be a bit more interesting, as RPF1s are a dime a dozen (and the gold color that they have is so washed out). Thoughts?

Anyway, pic in the public garage I use for hybernation:

And a couple of the Coverking Triguard custom cover ($140, ordered directly from them - very good fit, and came in a week and a half, very impressed):

Yes, that's a black S2K on the left in the last pic (also with black RPF1s, what are the chances of that?).

BTW - I ordered an Enkei center cap, just to see, and there's no way that it would fit on the 15" rims. The knock-out plates I got from Home Depot would work really well; I'll get 4 powdercoated when I get the rims done, in the same color.

#22 ·
While the car's in deep sleep, I'm going to have some work done by Dallas Custom Steering Wheel (anyone have any direct experience with them? have seen only good reviews online).

Here's the steering wheel currently:

It's a Tekniq small wheel with a racing Snap-Off system, and a trim ring that I had powdercoated to match my rollbar.

I'm going to have Dallas redo the wheel in perforated charcoal leather and red alcantara, have them make it thicker, and raise the thumbrests at 9:30 and 2:30. Should be interesting. Am also going to get my sunvisors done in a similar vein, just for sh*ts and giggles. I should have then back by the end of next month. Will slap up some pics then. That'll do it til March, when I take it back out, and gonna have Acid Beaver do a custom tune on it; idle's a bit too lumpy with the Bisi cam, and he should be able to smooth things out and give me a little boost in hp as well, I'm hoping.

#23 ·
Just got the pics of my steering wheel from Dallas, and am eagerly waiting for it to come back to my grubby little hands. Looks great, and will be much thicker than the stock was. Ended up not doing the sunvisors, as need the money for powdercoating the rims. Which I'll be dropping off in two Saturdays at Bonehead Performance in Warrington, PA (NE of Philly), good reviews of their work in the Bimmer forums. Think I'll be going with a "honey gold" kind of color (orange-y gold - like a velveeta metallic), but that might change as I look at samples when I'm there. Also got a set of black valve stems from 949 racing - looked like the cheapest online for a quality stem, and didn't have any interest in ponying up for Work or Rays stems. And getting a couple of other things powdercoated, including my Project Kics R26 lugnuts, just hoping that the car doesn't have as many problems this year as it did last.
Pic of steering wheel down at Dallas, all ready to ship back to me:

#25 ·
I'm really lazy about my car, so I'm sure that it wasn't me at that car wash. :mrgreen:

I'll be taking my car out of storage next week, then leaving jacked at my parents' in PA while the rims are being done, but as soon as that's done, sounds good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.