Honda CRX Forum banner

Y-49 Si Restore and upgrade.

73K views 304 replies 48 participants last post by  Nsx1972 
#1 ·
Here's my Y-49 build. I purchased this car from crxmanpat on 3/2/13. Click his name for his build. Pat took GREAT care of his car!! I'm the 3rd owner and this CR-X has been in AZ all of its life!

My first goal of the car is to overhaul the suspension. This is my second CRX. I overhauled the suspension on my last CRX with the E.S. master kit and it made a huge difference. The ES was good but I wanted to try another route. Either OEM, suja or hardrace. I chose OEM because you can't beat the quality!

Pat took care of the engine part for me. He replaced the stock engine with a JDM ZC SOHC Non VTEC March 17, 2012 at ~210,700. While he was at it he installed a new clutch.

Here's the car as it sat 5 days ago. I purchased the nose mask (2 of them) from stylin trucks. There's a thread with the info here on this site. You can't beat the price of $32 shipped! Quality and fitment is good.

The stock shifter was replaced with a B&M dual bend short throw shifter. Shifter bushings while I was at it. I love the feel of a shorter throw. It makes driving that much more fun!

While I had the car up on jack stands I cleaned up the front bumper black molding with back to black. Was a chore but it turned out nice.

Next up was getting all the suspension pieces together and various moving parts. I plan on doing this one time only so I'll be replacing everything while I'm in there. Well almost everything. The brake components are good so I'll be reusing those parts. I got a lot of info from AZCRXSI. Click his name for his awesome Y-49 build thread. Thanks for the help brother! He has "influenced" me to take the extra steps to clean up the wheel wells and make everything look pretty.

This is my parts list:
All oem bushings.
Moog balljoints,
Moog tie rods,
Moog rear bearing assembly.
Moog UCA.
Koni sport shocks.
GC coil sleeves.
Custom made Extended top hats from stock top hats.
Rear Ingalls camber kit.
Koyo front bearings.
A.R.P. Wheel studs.
POR 15 paint.
Rustoleum undercoating.
Hawk HPS rear pads.
OEM axle nuts and rotor screws.

I started disassembling the front end a couple of days ago. Here's a few shots with the wheel wells cleaned up after using a brush and simple green.

Disassembling started and action shots of bushings and hub being pressed out.

The press area.

I purchase this from Leon here on CRXCom. Now waiting on its long journey from the Netherlands.

See less See more
#5 ·
Awesome! Great pics! Thanks for the props and my pleasure with the assistance/encouragement! Whatever I can do to help... Just ask. (errr... I will probably be bugging you down the road! hehe)

Always great to see another Y-49 running around and this one is not too far away. Given the history of the car, we are very similar. One great owner had the car and it was passed to another great owner.

Down for more pics and updates!

Love the chair in front of the press!

As you know (you've done this before), the car will ride like brand new! I think that is the best part of all this labor going in is knowing how the car will handle with all new components. :)b

#8 ·
H22_CRX said:
Y- 49 crxs are just simply clean.... like stated earlier great work so far keep it up. Looking good
Thank you!

AZCRXSI said:
Awesome! Great pics! Thanks for the props and my pleasure with the assistance/encouragement! Whatever I can do to help... Just ask. (errr... I will probably be bugging you down the road! hehe)

Always great to see another Y-49 running around and this one is not too far away. Given the history of the car, we are very similar. One great owner had the car and it was passed to another great owner.

Down for more pics and updates!

Love the chair in front of the press!

As you know (you've done this before), the car will ride like brand new! I think that is the best part of all this labor going in is knowing how the car will handle with all new components. :)b
I can't wait to get the new components on!

I'll be taking pics but not as detailed as yours. I'm to lazy to be taking my gloves on and off to take pics. If my kids were here I'd have them do it.

You know you like my chair!! Its the perfect height for the press since the press is short. Works out well.

nvroutgund said:
Looking good man! Glad to see you're doing it right! :)b
Thanks!

I'll be heading out to the garage to do some more work. I'll finish getting the other hub and bearings out. Then I'll take all the pieces to work tomorrow and clean them up in the parts cleaner and pressure wash them. Overkill yes, but I want to make sure they're clean before I paint them.

#10 ·
pbillie said:
You know you like my chair!! Its the perfect height for the press since the press is short. Works out well.

nvroutgund said:
Looking good man! Glad to see you're doing it right! :)b
Thanks!

I'll be heading out to the garage to do some more work. I'll finish getting the other hub and bearings out. Then I'll take all the pieces to work tomorrow and clean them up in the parts cleaner and pressure wash them. Overkill yes, but I want to make sure they're clean before I paint them.
Absolutely! I did this all wrong with the press! I sat on my little rolly garage chair like you have in the pic. Somewhat uncomfortable. Very cushy setup you have there!

Nothing is overkill when you are addressing the smaller details!

#11 ·
AZCRXSI said:
Absolutely! I did this all wrong with the press! I sat on my little rolly garage chair like you have in the pic. Somewhat uncomfortable. Very cushy setup you have there!

Nothing is overkill when you are addressing the smaller details!
For something thats going to be a daily driver I'm crazy to be doing this BUT I'll still have pics of how it looked first done!
It just happened to work out that way. My neighbor was going toss it away 7 months ago and asked if I wanted it. I said yes and it worked out. Although its been in the way I've worked around it.

So I had to get the other hub out. I remembered last time it wasn't so hard but this time it was more work. Then I remembered I used a hammer! So anyone that needs to get their hub out don't waste your time at the press. Get a hammer and something the same size as the hub and knock it out. Very easy, fast and nothing was damaged.

I did the same with the LBJ. Found a socket that fit and hammered away.

Pressing out the bearings.

The lot of everything out.

Some may be thinking where does he get all of these metal parts to press out the bushings and what not? I'm a heavy, medium duty diesel mechanic. Most of the metal parts you see are parts of the truck. Some parts I cut up and some parts are whole. These are things I've replaced at one time or another. Couple of the other bushing extractors are machined from stainless steel. Its nice having a machinist as a neighbor!!!

#13 ·
Nah, it will be easier to clean up next time. Washing the wheel wells and cleaning things up is like washing underneath the armpits! Haha

Glad I am not the only one that thought that… It's really not worth it to press the hubs out. I did and I used so many spicy words it was unbelievable. So much easier to take a BFH and pound the hub out. Everything is cake after that…

Looking good! I like the box-o parts in the last pic!

#15 ·
JDMCrx91 said:
How hard was it to install the B&M shifter? Im planing on buying one instead of Skunk2
Install was pretty easy. There are quite a few how to's on it. They should have the same install procedure. Only difference is one cost more then the other.

So remember I mentioned "its nice to have a machinist as a neighbor"? Well, one bad thing about the Harbor freight press was that the arbor plates are not square. They're just a mold of metal which made it hard to press out the hub. Thats why in a couple of pics you see welding magnets trying to hold them straight. I asked my neighbor if he could square them out for me. As usual he went above and beyond and brought me back some aluminum pieces on top of squaring out the arbor plates. More metal for the stock pile!

#18 ·
Today I pulled the Alternator since the bearing is making noise. Since everything is apart it was easy to drop it out the bottom. While I was at it I dropped the oil and put a new oem filter in.

Then I proceeded to paint the wheel wells. My daughter did the first coat and I did the second.

Before:

After:

Next was to paint all the metal parts with POR. I installed the oem bushings in the LCA first before painting. I'll install the bearings, ball joints and the hubs tomorrow after the paint cures.

#22 ·
AZCRXSI said:
Im having deja vu...

Looking good!
Thank you!

Robb said:
You guys in Arizona and southern california have such an unfair advantage when it comes to old rust free cars ! Not fair !
You gotta move to the West side. Its the best side lol! I've never has problems with rust and I want to keep it that way!

Rommel said:
Nice work so far :)b
Thank you!

#24 ·
I started with installing the new refurbished alternator, bearing, ball joint and hub. Here's a pic of all the pieces.

When I got to the second ball joint something was different. The ball joint wasn't a moog ball joint but was in a moog box. I called the company I bought them from but in the automated message they said returns had to be done on the net. Pretty lame. So I put in for a RMA and waiting for approval. On top of that they want to charge for a re-stock. Its was a generic choice to choose from but I wrote a message and hopefully it can be resolved. Here's what it looks like.

To say the least I was pretty pissed today. We'll see how long it takes for them to get me the right part. I had the same problem with the bearings. They sent me Nachi's instead of Koyo's but the seller took care of the problem real quick and sent me the right ones the next day.

#26 ·
This time around I've had more problems getting the right parts or getting the parts. I just ordered from another company because they're taking to long to get back to me. They lost my business, so I ordered the UCA's and ball joint from another company. Should be here by the end of this week or early next week. In the mean time I'll start with the rear and hopefully get that done this week.

The POR15 looks good. Time will tell how it holds up. So far I'm happy with how all the parts came out after I sprayed them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.