Honda CRX Forum banner

Blade Silver 89si JDM Front End B20 Turbo!

37K views 165 replies 42 participants last post by  MColvin 
#1 ·
The day I brought it home. Traded my 91 Accord and I got some cash and an extra set of wheels on top!

See less See more
#106 ·
Sorry for being so slow to post updates. My fiancee is 39 weeks pregnant right now, so the CRX has not been getting as much attention as I would like. But, I came across an awesome opportunity that I just could not pass up! I found an 88hf with a smooth running low mileage d16y8 swap, no CELs, a clean title, 173K and most importantly a FULL SIR FRONT END!

I am not a huge fan of the carbon fiber, and the bumper has been cut out for fog lights, but the car runs great, has Skunk2 coilovers with Koni struts, it is in the middle of an SI interior swap, and came with a running K20a3, a d16z6 head and a p28 ecu all for only $1700. I couldn't pass it up!

#107 ·
MColvin said:
rex-b16a said:
What system is your car tuned on? Car looks great! painted hood and wheels really clean it up. Your interior also looks really clean!
Thanks! And It is a custom tune from a local guy here in salem. He did add two-step for free though, so that is kind of fun.
No I mean what system are you running to make your ECU tunable? Hondata Sx00......Chrome, ect...

#109 ·
Finally had time to pull the front end off, I will post more pics of the overall shape of the car, but for now this is what I had time for.

The headlights were pretty bad as you can see, so I decided to give them a quick buff and polish.
Before:

After:

Definitely not perfect yet, but for only about ten minutes, I am pretty happy.

I also was able to paint the bumper. I went down to a local auto body paint specialty store and they were able to make me some nh95m paint in aerosol cans.
Before paint, after sanding with 600 grit (you have to be really careful with plastic):

After one can of sandable primer, another quick sand with 600 grit, two cans of basecoat and two cans of clear, I am very happy with the end result!

#110 ·
So here is everything that is ready to go on the car so far.

As you can tell I still have a lot of work to do.
1. Re-paint the black trip because it looks horrible
2. I NEED FOG LIGHTS! If anyone has a clean set of prelude fogs or oem crx fogs, please let me know! I have the cash.
3. adding jdm side markers to my fenders. (very nervous but very excited for this!)
4. restoring this damn carbon fiber hood and possible selling it/trading it for a metal one (also something I am in search of!)

Does anyone have experience with a jdm front end swap? I have done quite a bit of research, but I am still open to learn more if anyone has any meaningful insight.

Thanks everyone!

#111 ·
Sorry for taking so long on this. My daughter was born on July 31st so I was a bit busy!
Anyway, here is the results that I have so far! What do you all think?

as you can tell, the fitment isnt perfect and I am not the biggest fan of the carbon fiber, but I am happy with it so far!

#114 ·
Oh forgot to mention i also have a set of extra set of prelude foglights and fog light switch for the crx also. Send me a text and ill send u some pics. 5039752482

#115 ·
Oh forgot to mention i also have a set of extra set of prelude foglights and fog light switch for the crx also. Send me a text and ill send u some pics. 5039752482
Unfortunately, I can't make it to the EF reunion at the end of the month because I work saturdays. :( and damn, I wish I would have checked this thread sooner, I just bought some generic $36 fog lights from Knecht's and I have to say, they turned out pretty great!

Before, with the ugly holes that the PO cut out of the bumper:

After:

#116 ·
Also, another little update, the parts car I bought for the front end swap that I plan on selling ended up having a sweet little surprise. I have been riding on ebay knock-off upper control arms for a while now, and the ball joints are toast. Look what I scored!

barely used at all Skunk2 proS upper control arms with PERFECT ball joints!
Here is a comparison between the ebays and the Skunk2

old and busted:

New hottness:

Suspension set up now:

#118 ·
Dude car is looking really great! Fitment looks pretty good as far as I can see from here. I'm really surprised the paint turned out that good for rattle can. Good Job!

I would have suggested bodyworking your front moldings and stuff before you painted(not that you can't still do it). That way when you do paint the moldings they are all fresh and don't have all the little scuffs and stuff.

I have the same Skunk 2 Upper control arms. Not that you have to adjust them much other than alignment, but you will love(or your alignment guy will) that the S2's are camber adjustable from the bottom not the top like your old ebays. My Function Form coils don't sag enough when you lift the car up to be able to reach the top of the control arm. S2's were a must for me.

Get a metal hood!!

And congrats on the baby!

#119 ·
Dude car is looking really great! Fitment looks pretty good as far as I can see from here. I'm really surprised the paint turned out that good for rattle can. Good Job!

I would have suggested bodyworking your front moldings and stuff before you painted(not that you can't still do it). That way when you do paint the moldings they are all fresh and don't have all the little scuffs and stuff.

I have the same Skunk 2 Upper control arms. Not that you have to adjust them much other than alignment, but you will love(or your alignment guy will) that the S2's are camber adjustable from the bottom not the top like your old ebays. My Function Form coils don't sag enough when you lift the car up to be able to reach the top of the control arm. S2's were a must for me.

Get a metal hood!!

And congrats on the baby!
Thanks! It is definitely nowhere near perfect and I have a lot of work to do to get it where I want it. I absolutely hate the hood I have currently so I am on the hunt for a metal one in good condition, and once I get that I will be totally painting the car again but more professionally since I have a real job now. lol

As for the suspension, the handling is miles better now! It handles bumps way better than before and overall the steering just feels a lot more confident in the corners.

#120 ·
Hello Everyone!

Sorry I haven't been able to update things in a while, but I have done a few things recently to clean the car up a bit.
Most notable, I was able to trade my no-name knock-off carbon fiber siR hood for a real Vis Carbon Kevlar hood. The difference in quality is unbelievable!

I was able to sell my other crx for what I paid, so I decided to put my rack back on top, I am still debating whether I like it or not. I am digging the look for now though.

I also missed the neochrome extended lugs that I used to have, so I decided to get some Blackworked Racing lugs, and I really like how they look

I also decided to take off the stickers. I wasn't feeling them anymore

#121 ·
Right now I am waiting on window visors and I have real Stanley fender makers waiting to go on, but I am wondering if anyone has a link to a good write-up on how to wire fog lights? I have a switch for them, but I wouldn't mind just wiring them to the highbeams. Has anyone done this?

#122 ·
Well, I still havent had much time to work on the crx, but I will be moving into a new house soon and will be garaging it for the winter while I amass parts for autocross!
In the meantime, I added a third Honda to my collection. Here is my wife, my daughter and I with our new 2015 Accord Sport!

#124 ·
really specimen you have there. I just notice that you have 90-91 rear mud guards on the 88-89 rear bumper. how the fitment?
Thanks! and back when I got them, I actually had no idea that there was a difference between the 88/89 and the 90/91 rear splash guards. But, they actually fit great, with no modification! And, they seem to not hang quite as low, which I like because it keeps them looking great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.