(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

90-91 transmission problem

Got a problem with your stock CRX? This is where you should start.

Moderator: Moderators

90-91 transmission problem

Postby beatup90si » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:48 pm

I just picked up 2 CRX DX(I believe) after having to part out my SI. I just got two cars they were sitting in a field ready for the scrapper. One is a parts car -- for now, the other I am trying to rebuild even though it has pretty severe body damage in the right rear. Both are 5 speed.

the one that is running D15B2- manual transmission, It will not disengage at all - even in neutral. The clutch works because the car runs fine when it is pressed in, but even in neutral it will start to engage.

internal to the transmission or possibly the shifter linkage? the linkage seems to work. I can drive the car but it feels like it stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear (no matter the position of the lever)
beatup90si

Re: 90-91 transmission problem

Postby Mista Bone » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:05 am

either the clutch or internal...
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby beatup90si » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:04 pm

Not the clutch. It will idle fine with it held in -- any time you start to let it out it moves... I drove it and it feels like its just stuck in second gear no matter what you try to put it in other than reverse and it just bogs down and kills the engine... Assuming internals are toast just wanted to make sure it couldn't be as easy as the shift linkage.
beatup90si

Postby Mista Bone » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:05 am

ran dry, lack of fluid to the roller bearings and burned them up.

Common on 89's as the shafts were drilled the full length and lack oiling holes.

Just one of the little differences most never know about, but after 400+ D trans, you see these little issues.
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby beatup90si » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:08 pm

I assumed it was the transmission have not even checked for fluid. Its a 91 not an 89 though. I need to switch out the transmission... Hope the one in the parts car is good.
beatup90si

Postby msc » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:54 pm

Any of the transmissions will burn up if you run them dry. The 89 was noted as being especially sensitive, not the only one prone to the problem.

When you have the other trans out it's a good idea to make sure the fill plug will come out. They are notorious for being difficult to remove and will often strip if a 12 point wrench is used. If you have trouble with the fill plug it's much easier to deal with on the bench then under the car with very little clearance.

You might even consider replacing the input shaft bearing. If the trans has over 200K miles on it the ISB is likely to be failing unless it's been replaced already.

Mike
msc

Postby beatup90si » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:23 am

msc wrote:Any of the transmissions will burn up if you run them dry. The 89 was noted as being especially sensitive, not the only one prone to the problem.

When you have the other trans out it's a good idea to make sure the fill plug will come out. They are notorious for being difficult to remove and will often strip if a 12 point wrench is used. If you have trouble with the fill plug it's much easier to deal with on the bench then under the car with very little clearance.

You might even consider replacing the input shaft bearing. If the trans has over 200K miles on it the ISB is likely to be failing unless it's been replaced already.

Mike

Thank you very much. They both are well over 200k. I am trying to decide to just swap it over. or take it out and have it refreshed. Not sure I can afford to do that at the moment. May be better off just getting a used D series transmission.
beatup90si

Postby Mista Bone » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:33 pm

Used 26 year old trans, what can go wrong?
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby beatup90si » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:30 am

same can be said for the whole car.
beatup90si

Return to Stock Garage