Honda CRX Forum banner

Stock Hf Negative camber Tire Wear Front & Back

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Dave_Darling 
#1 ·
Finally fixing this one up some and still new to these just recently replaced shafts, rotors, tie rods and about to replace lower control arms. This thing has the insides of all 4 tires worn bald. Like as if it has negative camber front and back. Is there certain control arm/ trailing arm bushings that can be worn and cause this? The front lower bushings are needing replaced and the rear trailing arm bushings do as well, haven't looked at the rear uppers yet. Not entirely sure on the geometry of these yet and not trying to go get an alignment until I fix everything thanks.

#3 ·
Trailing arm bushings have to be either oem rubber, hardrace rubber or spherical if you want the geometry to be correct and not to have to replace the bushing again too soon. I mean no poly, especially not the solid chunk of poly.

Any worn bushing except for the strut to control arm will cause improper geometry. Realistically, even that bushing can cause a differentiation in ride height side to side causing a bad alignment.

If you don't want to waste your alignment money, make sure all the bushings are tight.

#4 ·
Alright about what I figured and yea I'm not using poly on anything. I'll just have to go through and replace what I see bad. Not sure what you mean camber doesn't affect tires. Alot of negative camber wears inside of tires and alot of positive camber wears outsides of tires regardless of toe.

#5 ·
"A LOT" means more camber than needed to maintain proper tread contact and tire temps under cornering conditions.

aka hellastupdflush....

Improper toe setting causes more wear issues than camber. Most "slammed cars" with lots of camber are too cheap to afford proper alignment.....or are running a bot of toe-out as part of the alignment. That toe setting is wearing the tires, NOT the camber setting.

#6 ·
I had an s10 with all stock front suspension but cut coils.. 4.5 inch drop IIRC. Alignment was toe and go and tires barely wore any faster even with the visually noticeable negative camber.

#7 ·
Oh ok im still learning how car suspension works im used to solid axle stuff. I figured there was a few bushings worn out enough that is causing inside tire wear. Didnt think toe would do that on these.

As of now the front lowers are pretty worn and i have new front lowers i have to put on and the rear trailing arms are pretty old so i will do those also. Have yet to look at the rear uppers so we will see. Wanted to replace everything that effects alignment and camber the most first because it needs new tires pretty bad and im not trying to install those and have those wear uneven.

#10 ·
whoever said camber does not wear tires only toe does on the rear does not need to talk, obviously they have no idea.

I own a Mechanic shop in Houston and we specialize in alignments, have been doing alignments since i was 12. 30 as of now :)

Camber is a slow tire wearing angle that wears tires over time, this is the angle at the top of the wheel which leans inside most of the time, camber sag.

Toe is a fast wearing angle, definitely want to in spec.
Toe is the in or out of the front and rear wheels, people say pigeon toed in or out.
The sliding arms in the rear that adjust toe I have noticed sometimes you can max out the angle but still have negative toe in the rear, to fix this issue I index the trailing arms (Literally take off the wheel and hit the trailing arm with a hammer to keep adjusting toe) I do not recommend this until you have replaced rear suspension components and this is a last option.

inner edge wear is definitely a toe and camber issue.
Negative toe causes inside edge wear
Negative Camber causes inside edge wear.

There are two options to go about fixing this issue.

First option
is to replace suspension components first then get alignment specs, (Expensive)
-Due to age of vehicle no matter how many suspension parts you replace there may be negative camber and toe issues.
-What causes negative camber, weak struts and mounts all the way around, causes camber sag (Negative Camber)
-Also Upper control arm bushings will cause camber sag

The trailing arm bushings on the rear you are talking about will shift if broken out definitely recommend replacing this will throw off the rear toe angles of the vehicle.

Second Option
-Install Adjustable Ball joints w/ Upper control Arms in the front, this will come with control arms and metal bushings, these ball joints slide on the upper control arms, this will help your front camber.

-Rear, Install Upper Adjustable control arms, you can get these off eBay from $30.00 and up depending on which brand

After installing all the parts, call a local alignment shop and explain up front you have adjustable front upper control arms with sliding ball joints, and rear upper control arms that are adjustable. Please be honest and up front with shops, this will help speed up the process of the Alignment. If you do not tell them and just ask for an alignment, they may just set toe and not adjust camber to get your car in and out the shop or they may call and say they can't align today or may go up on price.

Please be honest and up front this will result in the best price and best time frame. Any other Alignment Questions please Shoot, you can Pm me or email me
Autolineofamerica@gmail.com

#11 ·
dohcman said:
whoever said camber does not wear tires only toe does on the rear does not need to talk, obviously they have no idea.
Stop right there, bro. Camber doesn't wear on OUR cars; the double wishbone design keeps the camber in factory specification as long as the ball-joints and bushings are good. It's when people start going with hellaflush 9" wide, +0 offset weels and/or install camber kits to bring it in even more that it becomes a problem.

#12 ·
Actually, our suspension design gives us better control of camber when the body of the car leans. It doesn't automagically make the camber always perfect. If you start with too much negative camber, you will continue to have too much negative camber...

But: Negative camber will wear the tires unevenly in a slow manner. It will take many many thousands of miles to really do a number on the tires. Toe-out, on the other hand, wears the tires unevenly much faster. The two in combination with each other can chew through tires in a huge hurry...

The "camber doesn't wear tires" is perhaps an overstatement, but it is a reaction to all the n00bs showing up saying "I have camber wear on my tires after 200 miles", when 99.5% of the time it's that their toe angles got messed up when they slammed the car and that is causing their tire wear.

--DD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.