Honda CRX Forum banner

Aftermarket Oil Pan won't fit 89 CRX Si

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  zcash 
#1 ·
Hi all,

First post, and I'm having a very confusing problem.

Went to replace a dented/leaking oil pan ('89 CRX Si, 1.6L), and the new one will not fit. It seems that the oil pan's lip on the flywheel side is too big. The OEM (I think it's OEM) fits fine while the aftermarkets get hung up on the flywheel.

Frustrated with my purchase, I went to the local parts store, got another pan, and it STILL wont fit! Same clearance issue.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I dremel the lip to get it to fit in?

Thanks for the response.

#2 ·
take fotos and bring it back to seller.
make sure you have the correct engine code and that it is not 180 off. don't go by make and model of car, specially if someone swap the engine at some point. in any case bring old pan to seller to make a comparisson.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response! Checked the engine, it's the original motor...

seems that it is a tolerance issue for the lips on the aftermarket pans. The Flywheel side was just a few MM too large.

I ended up reusing my old pan as it still sat flush on the block. No leaks yet (fingers crossed).

#5 ·
yes it is holded by some studs coming out the block or something like that.
you need it back, IF a little peble rock slips in while driving you can count on something breaking off.

#7 ·
If you want to keep searching for a new one that will fit, you can do that. But like you said yourself you could dremel the edge so that it will fit, as long as it's not going to interfere with how the oil pan will seal up with the gasket.

I haven't purchased an aftermarket oil pan, do I can't help you there. But you always could go find a used one at a junkyard from another crx/civic hatchback if you'd rather have oem. I doubt you are going to find a brand new oil pan from Honda, but you can still get the oil pan gasket I believe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.