(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

clutch knock sound

Got a problem with your stock CRX? This is where you should start.

Moderator: Moderators

clutch knock sound

Postby kracksmith » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:08 pm

recently my clutch makes a 1 knock noise like it's hitting something when being released.

at first my clutch switch crayon type material fell out so i replaced it with nut and screw as close measurement as i could. i thought that could have something to do with it. but after i changed this part to honda OEM, it's still making a 1 knock noise. looking down there upside down on the clutch, when not depressed looks to be resting on a metal piece. could this be it hitting there? but i think i hear it before i release it all the way. anybody have any experience like this?
kracksmith

Re: clutch knock sound

Postby kracksmith » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:05 pm

ok done some more investigation. if car is not on or neutral by pressing and releasing clutch, there is no noise. when changing gears I only hear the noise if I let the clutch out too fast (hard) and I hear a clunk noise. by changing gears slowly I don't hear anything

I think this could be my axle having some play involved. how else can I confirm this, any tips to check my axle to see if it's loose or worn out?
kracksmith

Postby Gr8_EE8 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:07 pm

How about the motor mounts? The rear one in particular. You might need to remove it for a proper check, but maybe...
Keep it real. This is the only Honda forum worth my time. You make it happen.
Gr8_EE8

Postby kracksmith » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:23 pm

thanks ok good idea, i will check tomorrow.
kracksmith

Postby Meridiandhd » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:52 pm

Could be transmission something. I had a bearing in one of mine go bad and it was similar to wut ur describing.
Meridiandhd

Postby kracksmith » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:53 pm

Ok its not the bottom motor mount so it could be the clutch or tranny bearing? Is this something else or non expensive to do. When i turn on my car to acc without staring my car i alwats hear something not sure if its the clutch bearing.
kracksmith

Postby Dave_Darling » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:22 pm

If it doesn't do it in neutral, I still suspect the mounts or maybe even the axles.

--DD
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Sold on 10/01/11, with over 227,000 miles.

VTEC is Honda's "select a cam profile on the fly" system; VTECH is a crappy phone.
Dave_Darling

Postby Mista Bone » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:23 am

kracksmith wrote:ok done some more investigation. if car is not on or neutral by pressing and releasing clutch, there is no noise. when changing gears I only hear the noise if I let the clutch out too fast (hard) and I hear a clunk noise. by changing gears slowly I don't hear anything

I think this could be my axle having some play involved. how else can I confirm this, any tips to check my axle to see if it's loose or worn out?

More likely a worn diff pin before axle issue.

Put car in third, jack up left side, rock the tire back and forth to locate the clunk.
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby kracksmith » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:00 am

Why in 3rd just curious
kracksmith

Postby Mista Bone » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:52 pm

because it is the easiest to find, straight pull out on the linkage as viewed from under the car.
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby 91CRXSI_VA » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:58 pm

I have the same issue and it's my rear motor mount. Rev the engine from under the hood and you will see it rock
91CRXSI_VA

Postby kracksmith » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:07 pm

How easy was it for you to change the rear motor mount? I tried to look at this but from underneath I can't see it. From youtube, people seem to be able to get this out from long extensions above.
kracksmith

Postby jzxcrx » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:40 am

Ive got this too, and been researching it a bit. Turns out it might be a worn input shaft bearing in the transmission.
Do you have a rattling or grinding sound with the clutch peddle out?
jzxcrx

Postby kracksmith » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:21 pm

thanks for your reply and yes. i do have a grinding sound when i start up my car or idling my car with the clutch peddle out. but why would this make a knocking bump noise if i let go the clutch hard/fast when driving? If i let the clutch out slowly, i don't hear that thump.

And what is the process of changing a worn input shaft bearing in the transmission?
kracksmith

Postby Mista Bone » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:34 pm

complete tear down and rebuild, easy for me, but I've done a few hundred....
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby jzxcrx » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:02 pm

Mistabone,if I may hijack, what's the going to have someone fix this?
jzxcrx

Postby kracksmith » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:37 pm

seems easy from this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDuuzzORk4c

i mean lots of work but seems easy enough. one thing the video was using a screw driver to pry things open. Do you normally use a metal screw driver on aluminium though?

I know I would have this bearing problem but how is this related to the knocking sound when i release the clutch harder than normal?
kracksmith

Postby Mista Bone » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:13 am

Holy [crud] using a 1/2" impact when he said to correctly use a racthet, you can split the end of the case off doing that. I've done it myself, and just had to recase a low mile ITR trans from this same issue.

Only 88-91 D trans there are no pry points, you have to use a hammer and know where to hit....

Old shift shaft comes in handy

The snap ring pliers you need

If you have a bad ISB, you CANNOT tap it out as he did, esp. when it has all fallen apart.

Sometimes a bearing gets stuck in the outer case, I have a few tricks to get it out, gennerally whacking the case with a rubber hammer works....

Part 2 video, he used a brass drift to seat the ISB seal, easy way to damage the seal. I use an old mainshift with the inner race for the outer bearing...left over parts make great tools.

Seat the seal flush

Flip over to fully seat the seat

Also in the second video I noticed the CSB has walked out of the case and can cause trans to pop out of second gear. I have been staking those into place for 17+ years, only one has ever walked out after staking, it had to be glued in.

Also note he DID NOT clean out the muck in the center of the gear shafts, I used to not do this. I could change just and ISB and seal in 1.5 hours, but after seeing the mess in there, I now strip the shafts and clean it all up.
BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby Mista Bone » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:23 am

jzxcrx wrote:Mistabone,if I may hijack, what's the going to have someone fix this?

$150 labor
$50 if you want the case cleaned in hot wash tank
Parts as needed, ISB and seal kit is $75

Then any shipping or gasoline needed. Shipping requires building a $40 box to my specs, then another $60-75 in shipping charges.

$100 buy a lot of gas nowadays....why I've been busy driving this winter.

Also, shifter forks are a wear item, and no longer available from the dealer...because I bought whatever was left.

the bad ones

My Three Hammers

Bearing staked as I mentioned before

Lastly, what Redline MTF does to the plastic bearing cages causing the ISB to fail prematurely, like at 75,000 miles. Use the cheapest 10w30 you can find for street driving.

BoneSpec Transmission
"D" Tranny guru
Mista Bone

Postby raffaelli » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:31 pm

kracksmith wrote:How easy was it for you to change the rear motor mount? I tried to look at this but from underneath I can't see it. From youtube, people seem to be able to get this out from long extensions above.

It is a pain in the ass. I unbolted the rights side radius rod, both sides of the cross member and the u-joint on the steering column. Then I used one of those ratcheting wrenched with the hinged head.
raffaelli

Postby Dave_Darling » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:50 pm

I remember taking the rear motor mount apart and then taking the pieces off the trans and crossmember, respectively. There was a big bolt through the middle (the rubber part) and then the brackets just unbolted.

Unless I'm thinking of the wrong mount?

--DD
"Mango Bango", 1990 CRX Si -- Sold on 10/01/11, with over 227,000 miles.

VTEC is Honda's "select a cam profile on the fly" system; VTECH is a crappy phone.
Dave_Darling

Postby Myriad » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:02 am

Mista Bone wrote:Also, shifter forks are a wear item, and no longer available from the dealer...because I bought whatever was left.
:lol:
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Return to Stock Garage