(Advertisements are not shown for registered users)

Could it be wheel bearings??

Got a problem with your stock CRX? This is where you should start.

Moderator: Moderators

Could it be wheel bearings??

Postby 68vert » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:25 pm

Hi, This is my first Honda so excuse my newbie questions. At speeds over 30mph it sounds like really bad tire noise. To the point where its tough to hold a conversation. I've searched the internet for a couple days and could not come to a conclusive answer for bad Honda wheel bearings noises. With the wheels off the ground, there is no top to bottom play in the wheels. When I turn the wheels, there is light scraping noise but might be from the new brake pads?? Any help will be much appreciated.
68vert

Re: Could it be wheel bearings??

Postby RamaCrx » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:21 pm

You sure you didn't bend the dust shield and it's scraping on the rotor? I've done that more than once.
RamaCrx

Postby 68vert » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:27 pm

RamaCrx wrote:You sure you didn't bend the dust shield and it's scraping on the rotor? I've done that more than once.

I thought it was the dust shield too and bent it till it stopped making noise. That was Sat now today I jacked up the frontend and can hear metal on metal.
68vert

Postby RamaCrx » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:31 pm

Hard to say without looking at it. Is there any damage to the rotors inside or out? I've seen too long bolts rub into the rotor. (that happens when you leave off a washer on the caliper frame)
RamaCrx

Postby 68vert » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:35 pm

RamaCrx wrote:Hard to say without looking at it. Is there any damage to the rotors inside or out? I've seen too long bolts rub into the rotor. (that happens when you leave off a washer on the caliper frame)

hmmm.....okay thanks for the tip. I'll take a look this weekend.

Just bought the car and been trying to get everything in order so it will be reliable. The poor thing has been ignored for long time. .
68vert

Postby 68vert » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:48 pm

on 2nd thought. when the car is rolling in the driveway, theres no scraping noise. Pretty quiet at low speeds. But over 30 it sounds like really bad tire noise.
68vert

Postby Myriad » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:16 am

When a wheel bearing goes bad, you more feel it than hear it.
I got a new shell, just need to stop driving the DX so I can work on it.

I've got a filter for my mouth, it just isn't a good one.
Myriad

Postby 68vert » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:20 pm

Myriad wrote:When a wheel bearing goes bad, you more feel it than hear it.

would this result in steering wheel vibration? Steering seems a little vague but not vibes
68vert

Postby ef yu » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:04 pm

can you describe the noise? is it deep hollow sounding? or high pitch? im willing to bet that it is the wheel bearings. could be front or rears.
- jim
ef yu

Postby 68vert » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:04 pm

ef yu wrote:can you describe the noise? is it deep hollow sounding? or high pitch? im willing to bet that it is the wheel bearings. could be front or rears.

It sounds like a really loud tire noise. Like if you had monster truck mud tires driving at 80MPH without fenders. If you can imagine that. LOLS
68vert

Postby RamaCrx » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:06 pm

One side or both?
RamaCrx

Postby 68vert » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:09 pm

RamaCrx wrote:One side or both?

I think its all over but my wife says its coming from drivers side.
68vert

Postby RamaCrx » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:12 pm

Under load only? Would be hard to believe that both front wheel bearings go out at the same time. I would think you would hear it just turning wheel. YOu could try jacking it up both side on floor jacks and run it slow in gear to see where it's coming from. Be careful though.
RamaCrx

Postby 68vert » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:27 pm

A tiny bit louder under load but still evident when coasting. The seller gave the impression that he took great care of this car but I'm getting the feeling that it was poorly maintained. With that said, I dont think the wheel bearings were ever changed.

Upside of this is the car only has 139k miles
68vert

Postby ef yu » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:25 pm

lol have no idea what a monster truck sounds like... jack the car up, support it correctly, and shake the wheel at the 6 and 12 oclock position. if theres play then its your wheel bearing. check both sides.
- jim
ef yu

Postby jfrolang » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:28 pm

Worn out wheel bearings make a slight metal on metal noise, a muffled sh-sh-sh-sh sound that's road speed dependent. Typically you hear this best at medium speeds (25-40 MPH) with a lateral force on the car, like when going around a curve in a road. They don't always produce free play in the wheel, but up and down motion can also be a bad LBJ.

A very bad wheel bearing will make a growl that does sound like nasty tire noise, but it should rarely get to that point.

Anyway, head to Youtube and there are a number of videos that will help you figure this out. Like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpsLaSzcAu4
jfrolang
Site Admin

Postby 68vert » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:59 pm

Thats a great video. Did not see that one. THANKS!

Yep they must be bad cause they sound just like a mud tire on a jeep without fenders.

I guess I'll be doing wheel bearings. I think while I'm at it, I'll do the rear bearings, BJ's, and front LCA's. Do you guys think I should try to put in new bushings in the LCA's or just buy replacements from Rockauto? Also, I want to do longer wheel studs. The stocks are too short. Scary.

So far:
1. new ignition switch
2. rewired aftermarket PW's which were wired to the "ign on" of the ignition switch
3. new alternator
4. new oil pan gasket. still have a small leak at the front of motor. WTF? Will prob pull drivetrain soon to reseal and replace clutch
5. raised the car up so its driveable. bump stops on the front coilovers are disintegrated. replacing those this weekend.

on my holiday to do list:
1. F & R wheel bearings
2. front LCA's
3. lower BJ's
4. ARP wheelstuds
5. bought OE headlights and will take apart to clean and refurbish to replace crappy halo aftermarket headlights
6. found a hole in exhaust and cracked welds around catalytic. need to pull and reweld.

thanks guys!
68vert

Postby jfrolang » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:59 pm

It is simpler to buy replacement LCAs than to replace the bushings, and roughly a wash on the cost. So most opt to replace the whole LCA.

I like the look of extended studs, personally. But I don't think I'd do it just for a daily driver type of car. The CRX is a very lightweight car and doesn't need them for street use.
jfrolang
Site Admin

Postby Myriad » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:25 am

My bearing made steering feel very sloppy with heavy turning as well as subtle body, um, "twisting" while driving through bumpy sections.

If you specifically want to test for bearings instead of guessing through elimination, you can check for play in the wheel hub. Since you're working on (what sounds like) a neglected Rex, I suggest pulling the entire knuckle off so you can check all 3 of the balljoints and the bearing at once. It's pretty eay to tell a bad bearing when you can wiggle the hub back-and-forth.

If you are going to do the wheel studs, you need to do them at the same time as the bearings. It'll be the only good time you'll have the opportunity to get them in the wheel hub.

Myriad

Postby 68vert » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:57 pm

Started tearing into the front end this past weekend. Found tie rod ends, and lower BJ's in bad shape. Lots of slop in the rack. Not sure if rack end bushing is bad or if its the inner tie rods? I want to remove the rack and all Chiltons says about disconnecting from steering column is something like remove cover and disconnect. Can somebody help out with a pic or a better explanation? Do I disconnect the rack from underneath the hood or inside the car?

Thanks for the help.

Also the bump stops on the coilovers were completely wasted. So I made my own from some used shock mounts at work. I used 2 different durometers. 2 layers of the harder material and 1 layer of the softer.

68vert

Postby Myriad » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:53 pm

It's possible the bushings are worn. I've also seen that the pinch bolt being loose can cause a sloppy feel. Get a bundle off of AM-auto; it'll have the inner and outer tie-rods, bellows, lower balljoints, and UCA's for dirt cheap. That way you can replace everything all at once if you need to pull it out.

Also, don't rely on the Chiltons. It will give you an idea of what to do for basic maintenance, but not much beyond that. If you're going to tear into the steering rack, the book is worthless to you. :twocents:

In the book, look at "removal & installation". It will show the 4 bolts on the engine sub-frame and the 1 pinch bolt after the u-joint on the steering column in the cabin.

Myriad

Postby 68vert » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:07 pm

Thank you Myriad. I'll look under the dash for the steering shaft cover.

The inner fender liners are a little shredded. I'm guessing from the car being so low. Any leads to some reproductions?
68vert

Postby 68vert » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:32 pm

A lot of rain here lately but I managed to get the CRX back together and off to the alignment shop yesterday. I replaced almost everything LOLs.

rack and pinion
lower control arms
upper and lower BJ's
F & R wheel bearings
tie rod ends
swaybar bushings
longer ARP wheel studs

thing thing is quiet now. No more death howl :D

While I was at it I also changed the trans fluid and fuel filter. Trans shifts like butter now.
68vert

Return to Stock Garage